It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What if YOU were Terri Schiavo

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 21 2005 @ 10:25 AM
link   
there are people that are taken off death row because of mistakes made in the legal system. they are on death row for 20 years or more before it is found they were not guilty. just because the courts have made a ruling doesn't mean it is correct. you people that are pushing for this death have it good because she probably won't speak and thus you can get away with saying that she didn't want to live like this. there are rulings overturned all the time and when it comes to a serious matter like this we need the federal government to get involved.

posted on Mar, 21 2005 @ 10:26 AM
link   

Originally posted by Kriz_4
her current health.

www.catholicexchange.com...

Here's an article about what her 'current health' was on the
day the tube came out. This from a person who was with her -
smiling and laughing together.

posted on Mar, 21 2005 @ 10:31 AM
link   

Originally posted by sanctum
The fact she has a 'peg' or feeding tube is because
she can't eat through her mouth as she would choke.

www.newsmax.com...
A sworn affidavit by a nurse that took care of Terri says otherwise.
Terri could eat without choking and enjoyed jello and orange juice
a great deal. Her 'husband' demanded a feeding tube only regime
for her and once she was on that ... demanded the feeding tube
be removed to kill her.

posted on Mar, 21 2005 @ 10:44 AM
link   

just because the courts have made a ruling doesn't mean it is correct. you people that are pushing for this death have it good because she probably won't speak and thus you can get away with saying that she didn't want to live like this.

But it's not "a" ruling. It's ruling after ruling, after ruling, all the way up to the State Supreme Court after years and years. THATS how it's different than your example of death row.

Would YOU want to live like this? Would ANYONE?

Didn't think so. It's a pretty safe assumption. Have you ever been in a hospital bed for a month or so? Now imagine doing that for 15 years, with no hope of recovery (the middle of her brain is gone people). Perhaps that would give those wishing her prolonged condition a basis of comparison to make an informed decision?

posted on Mar, 21 2005 @ 11:09 AM
link   
I read your links Fly. I do feel awful for her. Her hubby is a major bastard.

Like I said In a previous post. After she passes, they should do an autopsy on her and prove he abused her which lead th her deat 15 years later. Then they can charge him with murder. The Schindlers then can sue him for wrongful death.

The enite situation his heart wrenching.

posted on Mar, 21 2005 @ 11:11 AM
link   
Ok...The tube has been pulled...Attempt to feed her...If she eats, well, then she most likely is in there. If she does not eat, then euthanize her. If she chokes to death, well, then at least i's quicker than starvation.

Do not let her starve to death. Those who are high and mighty think that since they did not do anything their hands are washed of blood if she dies of starvation. What is the rationale for starvation!?! It's not like turning off a ventilator, and death occurs in a few minutes or less. It is a slow and painfull wasting away. Now, I know that there is question of whether she feels pain or not, but, better at assume she does and be wrong than to assume she can't and be wrong. Right?

Kill her or let her live .... Don't kill her slowly...

posted on Mar, 21 2005 @ 11:14 AM
link   

Originally posted by soulforge
Ok...The tube has been pulled...Attempt to feed her...If she eats, well, then she most likely is in there. If she does not eat, then euthanize her. If she chokes to death, well, then at least i's quicker than starvation.

Apparantly the court order by the Florida judge bars anyone from even attempting giving her any food or liquid.

posted on Mar, 21 2005 @ 11:15 AM
link   

Originally posted by MauiStacey
The enite situation his heart wrenching.

THAT is something people with even half a heart can agree on.
My God ....

[edit on 3/21/2005 by FlyersFan]

posted on Mar, 21 2005 @ 11:18 AM
link   

Originally posted by djohnsto77
Apparantly the court order by the Florida judge bars
anyone from even attempting giving her any food or liquid.

Can you believe that? Here is a woman who, 7 years ago anyways,
could eat and drink but wasn't allowed to. A feeding tube was
forced on her. I don't know if after 7 years she'd be able to get
anything down. If not ... hubby-dearest is to blame for that one.
More criminal neglect .... (or outright murder attempt).

posted on Mar, 21 2005 @ 11:21 AM
link   
I'm sure they are administering morphine, someone mention she gets it every 45 minutes. I also heard to today that when one starves, after a while they go into a euphoric state. That is why a lot of religious rituals fast for days on end.

Doesn't make it any better, I know.

posted on Mar, 21 2005 @ 11:30 AM
link   
The two sided sword of American politics

First infant dies in Texas after (then govenor) Bush's 1999 law to allow Hospitals to decide fate.
www.chron.com...

www.capitol.state.tx.us...
Signed in 1999 allowed the baby to be taken off support against parents wishes.

where's the outrage? where's the media coverage? who determines which life has a better a chance? Why is this woman more important that any other person? Why is this more important that our starving children, and failing school system? Why is it that we are fighting over someone who can no longer contribute to society, but not for the ones who will make tomorrow society?

The government is making a huge mistake getting involved in this case. Terri Schiavo's parents and husband and everyone involved in this is selfish and hypocritical. If anyone really give a damn about Terry, it wouldn't have taken 15 years to get to the point that we are now at.

Oh and to answer the original question, I have a living will, I had it made up when I was 21 and entering the hospital for complications due to my pregnancy at the time. I believe in reincarnation, i believe the body is only a vehicle for the soul, I don't want to be tied to a body when my mind is not there. I've made it clear to all my close family, that they should not keep me here for their selfish purposes, pull the plug.

[edit on 3-21-2005 by worldwatcher]

posted on Mar, 21 2005 @ 11:35 AM
link   
Originally posted by worldwatcher
The two sided sword of American politics

First infant dies in Texas after (then govenor) Bush's 1999 law to allow Hospitals to decide fate.
www.chron.com...

www.capitol.state.tx.us...
Signed in 1999 allowed the baby to be taken off support against parents wishes.

That baby was terminally ill. Terri is NOT terminal. Big difference.
However, I agree with you. Forcing parents to abandon their child
is wrong. It is very, very wrong.

[edit on 3/21/2005 by FlyersFan]

posted on Mar, 21 2005 @ 11:45 AM
link   
just because it appeals to the masses to say "i would never want be in the position she is" doesn't mean everyone thinks like that. some people want to stay alive until they die naturally. i wouldn't want to die even if i'm laying there in her condition. that is kinda disturbing to say you wouldn't want to live like that. i guess everytime you people that believe that see a retard or a mongoloid on the street you think to yourself "i would rather be dead"?? would you toss your baby in a dumpster if they were born deformed because you wouldn't want to live like that??

posted on Mar, 21 2005 @ 11:58 AM
link   
I am sorry but is all about life and death issue, is not differences only capitalizing from the tragic case in Florida something that the baby did not offer, politicians and interest group just change one life for another.

It was nothing to profit from the baby but is a lot to profit with the Terri case if laws are change.

Its very simple you either fall for the propaganda and the manipulation or you see both side for what really are, I decided that even when I don't like to see the woman death it would have been a local issue taken care by the governor.

He allowed the congress and the president to step in, that is my problem, why? because is a bigger fish to be fried here and he is bush brother?

Think about it.

[edit on 21-3-2005 by marg6043]

posted on Mar, 21 2005 @ 12:06 PM
link   

What if YOU were Terri Schiavo

Lay me to rest.

posted on Mar, 21 2005 @ 12:23 PM
link   
What if YOU were Terri Schiavo?

Let me go. I would have no interest in living with half of my brain liquified.

Government has no business getting involved with this issue. If you ask me, this does more to hurt the institution of marrage than any instance of same sex marrage that the religious right claimed to be sooooo concerned about just a few months ago.

What a waste of congressional time...

posted on Mar, 21 2005 @ 12:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by FlyersFan

Originally posted by Kriz_4
her current health.

www.catholicexchange.com...

Here's an article about what her 'current health' was on the
day the tube came out. This from a person who was with her -
smiling and laughing together.

hmmm by Attorney Barbara Weller that says it all. What do you expect the parents attorney to say?

Now can you give one from a Doctor or nurse that was present? No of course you can't because that is against the law. The parents are not her keeper her husband is.

posted on Mar, 21 2005 @ 12:51 PM
link   

Government has no business getting involved with this issue.

You are absolutely correct.

I'm sure it made Old George Dubya more popular though...now he looks like an humanitarian.

posted on Mar, 21 2005 @ 01:01 PM
link   
I have since my first day in uniform back in 92 had a living will and advanced health care directive and now I know I made the right descision. I couldnt deal with being the cause of something like this.....just let me die , cremate me and spread me to the four winds in the swamp , and Im fine.

posted on Mar, 21 2005 @ 01:01 PM
link   
Feel free to bash the House Democrats too, because on this vote they were split almost 50/50 on this issue.

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6 >>

join