It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

LIVE: Perseverance Rover Lands on Mars

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 22 2021 @ 01:15 AM
link   
Bunch of new pics released:

mars.nasa.gov...

with more expected after a press conference.

It looks like what appears to be duplication is actually images taken on different colour channels, and the smart people here:

forum.nasaspaceflight.com...

have been turning them into colour.

posted on Feb, 22 2021 @ 05:41 AM
link   
a reply to: Soylent Green Is People

Thanks for that info, I did not know that those blades were 4 ft long!

Makes perfect sense now.

posted on Feb, 22 2021 @ 06:16 AM
link   

originally posted by: ARM1968
There were a couple of objects, likely rocks, in the upper left of the image with the rivers wheel in it. One of those objects showed some quite interesting circular holes, 4 in a row. It and several other objects close to it appear significant. I don’t know if they’ve literally landed on proof of life existing on Mars or if there is a geological explanation.

www.nasa.gov...

"The rocks along the shoreline of Lake Salda in Turkey were formed by microbes that trap minerals and sediments in the water. Studying these ancient microbial fossils on Earth help Mars 2020 scientists prepare for their mission"

They look exactly like the picture at this link that the description above is under...

posted on Feb, 22 2021 @ 06:21 AM
link   
a reply to: Vdogg

The problem with those vesicular holes is that tbey are also typical of silica rich volcanic rocks, and they could have been washed in from elsewhere.

posted on Feb, 22 2021 @ 12:50 PM
link   
There will be a 2 PM EST (19:00 GMT) media conference today (Monday, Feb. 22) that promises to release a video from at least one of the cameras that captured the landing (e.g., looking up from the rover or looking down from the skycrane).

I'm guessing it will be the one looking down, like the still image we already got of the rover hanging by its tethers.

EDIT TO ADD: They are also promising some audio from the on-board microphones.

NASA TV link: www.nasa.gov...

NASA YouTube channel link: www.youtube.com...

edit on 2/22/2021 by Soylent Green Is People because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 22 2021 @ 01:04 PM
link   

Yet another link

posted on Feb, 22 2021 @ 01:28 PM
link   
AMAZING video! The views from the rover looking up and the lander showing the parachute deployment were awesome

posted on Feb, 22 2021 @ 01:31 PM
link   

originally posted by: TXRabbit
AMAZING video! The views from the rover looking up and the lander showing the parachute deployment were awesome

The landing videos are just incredible. Amazing to see the whole process in real time.

posted on Feb, 22 2021 @ 01:38 PM
link   
a reply to: TXRabbit
I was totally blown away with the quality of the landing video, good job NASA

posted on Feb, 22 2021 @ 01:45 PM
link   
Is it just me or are they acting like this is the first time we've ever landed on Mars?

Another topic for discussion...I know...

posted on Feb, 22 2021 @ 02:05 PM
link   

Is it just me or are they acting like this is the first time we've ever landed on Mars?

Haha, maybe for these people. But it certainly is the most comprehensive when it comes to footage. We've never had so many cameras with such definition plus the ability to have a little copter hopping around. This is the first lander to have color cameras, I believe.

posted on Feb, 23 2021 @ 05:47 AM
link   

It’s the first time we had the video of a landing looking down at the rover from the sky crane (and first camera looking up at the sky crane from the rover).

It is also the first time we had pictures or videos of the parachute deployment. This, by the way, was a whole new design for the huge parachute and the engineers love the fact that they have a video to see what works, and what might need work, for future very large supersonic parachutes for future missions, including eventual manned missions.
edit on 2/23/2021 by Soylent Green Is People because: (no reason given)

edit on 2/23/2021 by Soylent Green Is People because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 23 2021 @ 10:55 AM
link   
A slightly slower footage of the parachute opening, made with interpolated frames (Dain AI software)

www.youtube.com...

posted on Feb, 23 2021 @ 11:16 AM
link   
a reply to: wildespace

Speaking of parachutes, there's a message hidden in it...

www.theguardian.com...

posted on Feb, 23 2021 @ 11:46 AM
link   

It’s the first time we had the video of it looking down from the sky crane (and first camera looking up at the sky crane from the rover).

It is also the first time we had pictures or videos of the parachute deployment. This, by the way, was a whole new design for the huge parachute and the engineers love the fact that they have a video to see what works, and what might need work, for future very large supersonic parachutes for future missions, including eventual manned missions.

posted on Feb, 24 2021 @ 10:49 AM
link   
NASA’s Mars 2020 Perseverance Rover Mission Real-time Tracker

posted on Feb, 24 2021 @ 02:18 PM
link   
a reply to: PhoenixOD

It's unfortunate that the title says 2020....when this all just happened....
but anyway, it's great!

posted on Feb, 24 2021 @ 02:50 PM
link   
a reply to: VeeTNA

It's the Mars 2020 Perseverance rover, because it was launched in July of 2020.

posted on Feb, 25 2021 @ 06:23 AM
link   

originally posted by: Zaphod58
a reply to: VeeTNA

It's the Mars 2020 Perseverance rover, because it was launched in July of 2020.

Yes. And to add, the official name of the mission name is "Mars 2020."

Since the name of the rover is Perseverance. sometimes it is just referred to as the Perseverance Rover mission, but the official name of the entire mission is Mars 2020.
edit on 2/25/2021 by Soylent Green Is People because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 27 2021 @ 03:46 PM
link   
U

I think it is probably just you.
😱

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6 >>

join