It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

LIVE: Perseverance Rover Lands on Mars

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 18 2021 @ 09:17 PM
link   

originally posted by: putnam6

originally posted by: Wide-Eyes

originally posted by: Skooter_NB
First Image

And still, they use a 1960's camera.

No wonder Space exploration is going nowhere fast.

Dude, it's not even opened up yet all the cameras aren't deployed yet the pic is from its navigation cam just to show it on the surface etc.

lol, Sorry.

Please pardon my ignorance. I'm just eager to see some true HD images.

Preferably without NASA's "touch ups" and colour correction.

One can dream...

posted on Feb, 18 2021 @ 09:28 PM
link   
a reply to: Wide-Eyes

lol, Sorry.

One can dream...

It is frustrating, all NASA wants is data but the rest of the world wants some good quality pics

edit on 18-2-2021 by PhoenixOD because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 18 2021 @ 11:42 PM
link   
Small update

edit on 19-2-2021 by PhoenixOD because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 19 2021 @ 12:16 AM
link   

First Image

Dude, it's not even opened up yet all the cameras aren't deployed yet the pic is from its navigation cam just to show it on the surface etc.

lol, Sorry.

One can dream...

No worries my friend, and yes I'm ready to see some new images too, once I heard this was basically it for today I was like damn.

I doubt they will ever send out images raw and not pre-screened.

posted on Feb, 19 2021 @ 03:45 AM
link   
Search Perseverance Rover in Google and see what happens.

posted on Feb, 19 2021 @ 04:13 AM
link   

originally posted by: In4ormant
Search Perseverance Rover in Google and see what happens.

Fireworks!

posted on Feb, 19 2021 @ 06:12 AM
link   

First Image

lol, Sorry.

One can dream...

Just like Curiosity, and just like Spirit and Opportunity, NASA will put all the raw (un-retouched) HD images on the JPL mission website for Perseverance.

But for Perseverance, they need to first deploy the rover mast on which the HD cameras sit. That will be a a couple days after landing.

The first two pictures were taken by two of eight engineering/hazard cameras on the front and back undersides of the rover that are used to detect hazards under and near the rover while it's roving. Plus, the clear dust caps that were on those cameras to protect them from debris being kicked up during the landing process were still on them when the pictures were taken (these pictures were taken literally a couple of minutes after landing).

Those dust caps will be removed and the image quality from the engineering/haz-cams will be better.

edit on 2/19/2021 by Soylent Green Is People because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 19 2021 @ 12:59 PM
link   
When it is time they'll be uploaded here:

mars.nasa.gov...

posted on Feb, 19 2021 @ 02:42 PM
link   
I missed the landing yesterday, i was too busy doing a tattoo. Got to feed the kit-rons some how.

Thanks for the thread OP and all the contributors of said thread.

I especially liked the 360 degree control room footage. That had me distracted for quite a while, spinning around constantly.

posted on Feb, 20 2021 @ 03:24 AM
link   
Another small update

edit on 20-2-2021 by PhoenixOD because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 20 2021 @ 04:40 AM
link   

originally posted by: Zrtst
They have a heli-drone too, so that should be interesting. So the information takes 2 minutes or so to get to earth, so that will be a difficult task to fly that thing, not in real time. Or maybe it doesn't matter, it will feel like real time.
Or they just preprogram it to do some maneuvers like you can with an ipad, iphone and drone.

This is one thing I don’t understand how it will work. The atmosphere on Mars is said to be equivalent to ours at 100,000 ft.

Those drone blades do not look like they can handle RPMs fast enough to create enough lift. Let alone a battery that would power such thing.

We don’t have any drones or helicopters that can fly to 100,000 ft here on earth.

posted on Feb, 20 2021 @ 07:48 AM
link   
a reply to: 38181

It's a coaxial rotor. You have two sets of rotors generating lift at the same time.

posted on Feb, 20 2021 @ 08:04 AM
link   
I find these 'new colour photos' to be underwhelming. So what colour is Mars? Yellow or black and white? (kidding)

I just thought they would be UHD with perfect colour.
I'm assuming it's mainly a drab rock colour anyway but still. 😕

posted on Feb, 20 2021 @ 08:08 AM
link   

originally posted by: Soylent Green Is People

First Image

lol, Sorry.

One can dream...

Just like Curiosity, and just like Spirit and Opportunity, NASA will put all the raw (un-retouched) HD images on the JPL mission website for Perseverance.

But for Perseverance, they need to first deploy the rover mast on which the HD cameras sit. That will be a a couple days after landing.

The first two pictures were taken by two of eight engineering/hazard cameras on the front and back undersides of the rover that are used to detect hazards under and near the rover while it's roving. Plus, the clear dust caps that were on those cameras to protect them from debris being kicked up during the landing process were still on them when the pictures were taken (these pictures were taken literally a couple of minutes after landing).

Those dust caps will be removed and the image quality from the engineering/haz-cams will be better.

Thanks for this 👍🏼

posted on Feb, 20 2021 @ 09:35 AM
link   

originally posted by: 38181

originally posted by: Zrtst
They have a heli-drone too, so that should be interesting. So the information takes 2 minutes or so to get to earth, so that will be a difficult task to fly that thing, not in real time. Or maybe it doesn't matter, it will feel like real time.
Or they just preprogram it to do some maneuvers like you can with an ipad, iphone and drone.

This is one thing I don’t understand how it will work. The atmosphere on Mars is said to be equivalent to ours at 100,000 ft.

Those drone blades do not look like they can handle RPMs fast enough to create enough lift. Let alone a battery that would power such thing.

We don’t have any drones or helicopters that can fly to 100,000 ft here on earth.

It's a very light drone (less than 4 lbs/1.8 kg) and the relative size of its rotors compared to its weight is very large (rotors are 4 feet/1.2 meters diameter). Those rotors also spin at extremely high RPMs (between 2000-3000 rpm)

So a regular helicopter would need to have HUGE rotors relative to its weight, and those rotors would need to spin at 2000-3000 rpms rather than the 400-500 RPMs of a normal helicopter (that would be 5X to 6X faster).

Regular drones do spin at very high rpms, but their rotors are very short. So while a drone motor ("motor" with an "m") might spin at 30,000rpm, the torque caused by the rotor ("rotor" with an "R") -- even a small-ish 5 inch rotor -- reduces that RMP to maybe 10,000. If you tried to put Ingenuity's 4-foot long rotors on a hobby drone, the torque produced by those long blades trying to spin will likely burn out the drone's motor long before it can get to 2000 rpms.

So while the technology does exist to fly a drone in very thine atmosphere, it requires a motor that can handle the torque of long blades, blades that wont break apart due to that torque, and an overall very light vehicle. And that's what Mars=copter is.

edit on 2/20/2021 by Soylent Green Is People because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 20 2021 @ 02:46 PM
link   
Some more updated pics

posted on Feb, 21 2021 @ 12:50 PM
link   
It sounds like they will want to get rid of the chopper, ASAP.

It lowers ground clearance due to it's location.

This limits the autodrive softwear that guides the rover.

posted on Feb, 21 2021 @ 01:57 PM
link   
a reply to: LookingAtMars

Thirty to sixty days to charge and test it. If all looks good, they'll drop it and try to fly it is what I heard the other day.

posted on Feb, 21 2021 @ 05:44 PM
link   
There were a couple of objects, likely rocks, in the upper left of the image with the rivers wheel in it. One of those objects showed some quite interesting circular holes, 4 in a row. It and several other objects close to it appear significant. I don’t know if they’ve literally landed on proof of life existing on Mars or if there is a geological explanation.

posted on Feb, 21 2021 @ 07:20 PM
link   
a reply to: Zaphod58

A month or two is ASAP for NASA.

a reply to: ARM1968

There are a few geological explanations for the holes.

I will wait for a pic from a science camera to be sure about the spacing of the holes, unless we never see a high resolution pic of it.

edit on 21-2-2021 by LookingAtMars because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6 >>

join