It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Your favorite characters in ...

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 18 2021 @ 05:56 AM
link   
Recently I made a comment in one of these threads explaining how easy it was for me to name my favorite characters in Star Trek DS9 in comparison to how hard I found it to name my favorite characters in a more modern show like Star Trek Discovery. And that I actually found it easier to name the characters that were the most annoying to me in ST Discovery; sort of as part of a clue that I don't like this show. Which made me think of the characters I like most in other of my favorite often older shows so I thought it might be a fun thread for people to list their favorite characters from their favorite shows if they felt like participating in this thread. Otherwise, it's just for my enjoyment thinking about it and making a list.

So here it goes, in order of most favorite show and most favorite characters first:

Stargate SG-1

Jack O'Neill
Daniel Jackson
Master Bra'tac
General Hammond
Maybourne
Selmak / Jacob Carter
Dr. Rodney McKay (although he has a bigger role and more developed character in SG Atlantis, that's why he's still low here, in Atlantis he's at the top of the list for me)
Thor
Felger
Urgo
Harlan
Lya
Colonel Chekov
Lord Zipacna
Hanno
Pallan (who plays Halling and Todd the Wraith in Atlantis, also fairly high on my list there)

Ok, this is taking longer than I though for just my favorite show, so perhaps I'll continue this at some time later when I'm bored again with the crappy modern Sci-Fi shows or re-watching Stargate SG-1 and Atlantis for the gazillionth time because of a lack of anything better or any new Stargate shows.

#BringBackStargate
edit on 18-2-2021 by whereislogic because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 18 2021 @ 06:22 AM
link   
SG characters were good because to a degree they were based off Egyptian names we were kind of familiar with.
& yes bring back Stargate!!

I'm a fan of the show Vikings altho it got (predictably) stupid partly with the Ivar the Boneless story trajectory.
Loved the Norse names tho. Had Ragnor bumped off Ivar as baby I'm sure things would have taken a better
story line & a more interesting future for his sons. They could have also done a LOT more with the old religion, but passed on it.

posted on Feb, 18 2021 @ 07:18 AM
link   
a reply to: whereislogic

Oneil was by far the best character in SG1.
Most of the others were likeable enough and solid in support.

Oneil was the only one that wasn't a cliche.

posted on Feb, 18 2021 @ 07:35 AM
link   
I remember the characters in shows I liked a lot, but I'm horrible at names.

As far as Stargate, since we're watching one episode per week as evening watching over dinner, I can't comment on the memorability of the characters. Stargate was never my favorite show exactly though. It was more my husband's thing.

I preferred Babylon-5 and Farscape. They also had their own memorable characters.
edit on 18-2-2021 by ketsuko because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 18 2021 @ 07:36 AM
link   
I still watch episodes online, but bringing it back just wouldn't be the same. The actors are past their prime and would only be there in supporting roles. They're not young enough anymore to go gallivanting around the Universe and to get other actors would be like the remake of Ghostbusters.

posted on Feb, 18 2021 @ 07:38 AM
link   
a reply to: DAVID64

Woke Stargate where the earth surrenders to the Go'auld because clearly humans are too white oppressive and only the Go'auld can bring about equity and justice!

posted on Feb, 18 2021 @ 07:47 AM
link   
a reply to: ketsuko

Loved that show !

and definitely remember Ali.

posted on Feb, 18 2021 @ 07:57 AM
link   
a reply to: DAVID64

I took the Eureka! bit out of my comment because I wasn't sure how many people here would have watched it. Now I feel bad that I did.

Carter, Ali, Henry ... it was just so entertainingly quirky. We have the 1st season on DVD. I wish we had the rest of it.

posted on Feb, 18 2021 @ 07:58 AM
link   
Who was your fav character in The Expanse?

If you haven't seen it I'm going to find you, and kill you.

(sorry unable to add Liam Nielson gif from my phone) 😁

posted on Feb, 18 2021 @ 08:01 AM
link   
a reply to: FinallyAwake

We watched the first couple of seasons and then they rode it off the rails from the books.

In the time I watched, I'd have to say Avasarala.

posted on Feb, 18 2021 @ 08:03 AM
link   

originally posted by: Caver78
SG characters were good because to a degree they were based off Egyptian names we were kind of familiar with.
& yes bring back Stargate!!

I'm a fan of the show Vikings altho it got (predictably) stupid partly with the Ivar the Boneless story trajectory.
Loved the Norse names tho. Had Ragnor bumped off Ivar as baby I'm sure things would have taken a better
story line & a more interesting future for his sons. They could have also done a LOT more with the old religion, but passed on it.

I haven't watched vikings yet as I heard how it went a bit pear shaped towards the end. I LOVED The last Kingdom and Barbarians though. Hard to pick a fav character from these types of shows as they are all based on true stories of bloodthirsty murderers lol

posted on Feb, 18 2021 @ 08:05 AM
link   

originally posted by: ketsuko
a reply to: FinallyAwake

We watched the first couple of seasons and then they rode it off the rails from the books.

In the time I watched, I'd have to say Avasarala.

I haven't read the books so was fortunately unaffected, therfore it was the best sci-fi series I've ever seen. And yeah she's a great character in the show, and my weird crush. Shhhhh!

posted on Feb, 18 2021 @ 08:51 AM
link   
a reply to: whereislogic

I was gutted when all the Stargate shows where pulled from Netflix. I miss them hard.

Good list. I would add Ba'al to it though. There were some great episodes with Ba'al and of all the Goa'uld I felt he had the most character development.
edit on 1822021 by Wide-Eyes because: Expansion.

posted on Feb, 18 2021 @ 09:20 AM
link   
I may be giving away my age, but I'm going to say it anyway. I still love and watch the original Star Trek, from the 1960s. Back in that decade, man hadn't landed on the moon, but we were getting close. So watching those characters on the USS Enterprise fly all over the galaxy, while meeting new races and living like a family unit in the ship, made me feel the wonder that the future might hold. The 1960s were very turbulent times, so anything that promised better times to come was wonderful. You had a leader in Captain Kirk who was decisive and made the right decisions quickly and kept them, mostly, out of danger. The rapport between Spock and Doctor McCoy was fun to watch and all the other characters, from all different backgrounds and nationalities, worked together like a smoothly oiled instrument. Exploring the unknown "wonder" of space showed that there was a future for humanity. It was kind of like a small hippy commune travelling around the country in a VW microbus and looking for the next Grateful Dead concert. Kind of. Ha ha.

And not only that, the uniforms the women wore were awfully nice and short.

TCB

posted on Feb, 18 2021 @ 09:26 AM
link   
Huh. I just happen to be re watching SG1 on netflix right now! On season 8.
While I love Tel'c, O'neil and Jackson, I've been a bit disappointed that they spent less time on alien worlds, and more time on politics in the later episodes. Cater gets a bit annoying later on as well.

I would love to see a new Stargate show, but with all the crappy remakes they have had recently, I'm sure they would "politically correct" the heck out of it.

posted on Feb, 18 2021 @ 09:27 AM
link   
a reply to: Bluntone22
I especially like the chemistry between O'Neil and Daniel Jackson and their growing mutual understanding of eachother's viewpoints, the more military conservative way of thinking and the progressive liberal way of thinking that stands so opposed to another, yet they manage to get past that and learn to appreciate and respect eachother's viewpoints and way of handling things or way of reasoning/arguing. Something that some people on this forum on opposite sides of the political ideological spectrum that often find themselves in heated debates with eachother could take some pointers from.

As well as show writers of modern shows who only paint one side of the political ideological spectrum (the wokeness promoters) as something positive or having something of merit whereas they only focus on the negative aspects of the opposite side of the spectrum; and focus a lot more on "wokeness" ideology and a "woke" message than older shows. I mean, it's not like Stargate SG-1 really focusses on some political ideological message all that much, and most of the chemistry between O'Neill and Daniel also does not revolve around what I just described (if I were to describe this show and what makes it the most entertaining show for me, it would be "fun and adventurous", but it's also a quite reasonable show, some of the more modern Sci-Fi show suffer from too much unreasonable out-there far-fetched problem-solution scenarios, or just vague nonsensical stories where it feels more like you're watching Alice in Wonderland or something, doesn't need to make sense, just exotic).

Yes, Stargate like most Sci-Fi shows is still more of a progressive liberal show*, but there's not as much emphasis on it as modern shows (and making sure you're casting lots of female and non-caucasian actors; which is overdone in modern shows as well, Star Trek Discovery has an almost completely female cast + some pretty boys to apeal to a female + LGBTQ market). *: And as Jack puts it concerning Daniel: "He's usually right about these things" (in the episode where they are encroaching on Unas territory because they want to mine some naquadah, and O'Neill is replaced by another Colonel because he's injured, and reminds the Colonel of Daniel's worth in terms of diplomacy with the Unas. S07E07 "Enemy Mine").

It's this episode where what I mentioned at the start of this comment really comes to the fore, and my favorite scene is the dinner scene just before this scene (with Daniel and Jack looking at eachother and saying eachother's name with different tones and facial expressions to say things to eachother without using words, but they already know eachother viewpoints, so a name and a look suffices):

One of my favorite episodes that incidentally also has Odo from Star Trek DS9 in it (another show that comes just after Stargate SG-1, Atlantis and Babylon 5 for me on my favorite shows list):, making it just that much better:

posted on Feb, 18 2021 @ 09:32 AM
link   
a reply to: chiefsmom

Huh. I just happen to be re watching SG1 on netflix right now!

Lucky you! Netflix pulled it in the UK.

Eta: I still watch TOS too.

edit on 1822021 by Wide-Eyes because: ☝

posted on Feb, 18 2021 @ 09:49 AM
link   
I remember watching SG1 when I was a kid maybe 12?, first couple seasons then I never watched much after that, Daniel was my favourite in the Movie, but not in the series. Probably Teal'c from what I remember, because he was an outsider and I always drift to that type.

posted on Feb, 18 2021 @ 10:26 AM
link   

originally posted by: DAVID64
I still watch episodes online, but bringing it back just wouldn't be the same. The actors are past their prime and would only be there in supporting roles. They're not young enough anymore to go gallivanting around the Universe and to get other actors would be like the remake of Ghostbusters.

I can see Sheppard, Daniel, McKay and Todd the Wraith as the team of 4 adventurers working for me. I'd watch that. Hmm, who to put in charge... O'Neill? Elizabeth Weir (death is usually not an issue in Stargate, perhaps she found a way to ascend after all, plenty of time in space being semi-dormant but still alive)? Rush from SGU? I dunno, haven't thought it through that far, not that one has to limit oneself to characters from the older shows.

#BringBackStargate is talking about the franchise, not the actors.

posted on Feb, 18 2021 @ 10:39 AM
link   

originally posted by: FinallyAwake
Who was your fav character in The Expanse?

If you haven't seen it I'm going to find you, and kill you.

(sorry unable to add Liam Nielson gif from my phone) 😁

Miller and Alex. The 2 they got rid of re-placing Alex with a non-caucasian female character now as I understand it (is there anyone you can count as a replacement for Miller?).

Of course I've seen the Expanse, duh, I'm a total Sci-Fi freak

And in particular the Stargate/B5/DS9 style of developing interstellar warfare and alliances (sometimes the build-up to a huge showdown fought out over a series of battles, preferrable space battles, is more fun than the actual execution of those climactic epic events with instellar repurcussions; but unlike what the Expanse tends not to do, I do want them to show these battles and the strategic or tactical planning involved, and get a sense of the strategic and tactical things going on in said space battles, which I have a hard time following with the Expanse as well, lots of having to rewind those fairly rare and expensive to make moments which stopped showing up in this show all that much anymore after it was taken over by a mass-production internet streaming company, where they tend to cheap out on that front to produce a cheaper show, affecting the writing by writers who also don't want to give them trouble over using this cheap quantity over expensive quality approach).

B5 is probably the best example of the type of storyline I like best, they just didn't have a very high budget nor the modern means for special effects; for its time, it also doesn't look that great compared to DS9.

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join