It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Should Elon Musk launch a mission to the moon on his own

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 14 2021 @ 03:10 PM
link   
a reply to: putnam6

Good we agree on something

Let me just say — the very first episode of Star Trek — I went in my bedroom, locked the door, and told everyone to leave me alone until I opened the door.

I’ve been following space stuff for a long time. I hate that it practically came to a screeching halt. I agree with those who say the space station has outlived its usefulness, is a waste of money, needs to be retired, and money spent on ground habitat.

I know there are lots of ideas, but not much to make stuff happen.

I’m pro moon base — before man visiting Mars.

And, yes I’m aware of all the conspiracies of “off planet beings” preventing us from going there.

posted on Feb, 14 2021 @ 05:47 PM
link   
a reply to: ArMaP

If it's from a political point of view, then it's a big NO, politics should stay out of science.

You cant divorce politics from space exploration

As was said in THE RIGHT STUFF "No bucks, No Buck Rogers" ….

Even Columbus had to play politics when soliciting support from the Spanish Crown

We haven't been back to the moon in 50 years

Such a mission could be done relatively cheaply , if one considers costs north of 100 million cheap

The technology exists to do it
edit on 14-2-2021 by firerescue because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 14 2021 @ 06:49 PM
link   

originally posted by: firerescue
You cant divorce politics from space exploration

If done by the state, yes, if done by a private company it's possible.

What I meant was doing it just for political purposes.

Even Columbus had to play politics when soliciting support from the Spanish Crown

I know that, and he had to play politics with the Spanish Crown because the Portuguese weren't interested in his proposal.

posted on Feb, 15 2021 @ 09:16 AM
link   
I for one would love to see him try. Prove it's actually possible. It's crazy something we did 60 years ago isn't easily repeatable today. So crazy that it causes doubt.

posted on Feb, 15 2021 @ 09:34 AM
link   
I think manufacturing materials need to shipped to the Lagrane Points in the earth moon system. These need to be developed as space based refinery and manufacturing zones.
There definitely needs to be industrial motives for doing any of this stuff.
Space craft need to be built in space.
metal rich asteroids need to be steered into solar furnaces located at the Lagrage points in order to get the materials needed to get this going.
Mars is a much longer project I think.
Instead of prioritizing moving to a desert planet, industry should be moved off world.
Perhaps then terraforming mars can in fact be planned over the time frame it would take.
edit on 0000002095129America/Chicago15 by rom12345 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 20 2021 @ 09:21 AM
link   

originally posted by: firerescue
Looks like the BIDEN administration is about the trash the US space program, just like Obama did

In the past few weeks been messing with Musk and launch schedule for his Starship tests

I figure if Musk wants ti give these clowns a giant middle finger should announce a circumlunar mission using a modified Dragon launched on a Falcon Heavy

I know Musk said did not want to man rate the Falcon Heavy, preferring to go to Starship. But looks like Starship will not be ready for a few more years

Dragon and Falcon Heavy are ready now, In fact few years ago Japanese billionaire was ready to fund a circumlunar mission using a modified Dragon

Constraints appear to be in Falcon Heavy core stage, and availability of launch facilities at Cape Canaveral

This would be big morale boost for country suffering from Covid 19 lockdowns ( can go to restaurant, movie theatre, sporting events , Etc)

It would also put the Chicom in their place - similar to late 1960'd when NASA decided to roll the dice and go for lunar mission on Apollo 8 to beat Soviet attempt using their Zond spacecraft . In fact was a big risk as SATURN V had only flown twice and previous launch was near disaster
Excessive vibrations caused 2 engines to shutdown in second stage and 2rd stage failed to restart

The Dragon spacecraft would require modifications - heavier heat shielding, long range communications for lunar distance , extra supplies as Dragon currenting designed for short ferry hops in LEO

What do you think ??
edit on Sat Feb 13 2021 by DontTreadOnMe because: Reaffirming Our Desire For Productive Political Debate (REVISED)

Yep, Private industry will have to do these things. I don't think Biden wants to keep the Space Force but he realizes that people like the idea.

posted on Feb, 20 2021 @ 10:24 AM
link   
With Biden’s ‘full support,’ the Space Force is officially here to stay.

WASHINGTON — U.S. President Joe Biden will not seek to eliminate the Space Force and roll military space functions back into the Air Force, the White House confirmed Wednesday. Feb 3 2021

White House spokeswoman Jen Psaki told reporters during a Feb. 3 briefing that the new service has the “full support” of the Biden administration.

www.defensenews.com...
edit on 20-2-2021 by Annee because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 1   >>

join