It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Discussion about US government.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 14 2003 @ 09:18 PM
link   
Not sure where best to post this so here it is in the Poli scandal forum lol.

Anyways, why don't we, particularly Citizens of the US, start a government discussion.

Like on the actual opperation of the Government, discussing the Constitution and how we feel the Federal Government is living up to it.

And if State Governments are allowed their rights that is granted them in the Constitution or if those rights have been trampled.

And such.

Because we all can agree (on verying degrees), that the government is cheating us or lying or such.

But how often is it really understood what the government is?

We know there's a president and basics like the Legislature makes laws...but do we even know this?

If we did then why is it that there are regulation commitees making laws too?

Executive Orders themselve, in my opinion, are unconstitutional.

So why not discuss all the stuff possible about actual government, not as much as "What's going on" in the government, but as ... "What can be done" by the governemnt.

Because, for instance, a lot of people complain about Bush not having been elected president, and thus he must have "taken over America".

Which is completely untrue, all that occured in Florida was within due bounds of the Constitution and thus he is Constitutionally the President of the United States, which is all that matters.

So naturally only people who don't realize that, would argue that Gore is the rightful president.

For instance:

Article II: Section I discusses the election proceedures of the President. The president is chosen by electors, not by the "Popular Vote".

And this is the kind of discussion I seek in this thread.

A debate about current events and past events, using the Constitutions of the United States and of the States, to better understand Government today, of yesterday, and of the future.

And to better understand what's going on today, and why somethings happen that we don't agree with.

Because I am certain some things we don't agree with is just because we don't understand what this Country is really about....we are brainwashed into thinking it is a "one person one vote" country, which no nation has been since Athens except for a small area of Switzerland.

posted on Jul, 15 2003 @ 05:02 PM
link   
The big problem with out government is that "MONEY TALKS AND PEOPLE LISTEN". Professional lobbyists need to be made illegal. Politicians should listen to their constituents, not the money under the table.

posted on Jul, 15 2003 @ 05:23 PM
link   
But these are just a few of the issues I want to bring into this discussion. Not all at once, of course.

Enviornmental-
planetary

Medical-
by field

Science-
by field and current research

Polution-By Product/s-Technology-
companies and CEOs

Senators-Native American Council-
by state, peoples voice.

Military Command-
by branch, UN

NASA-
director, relations, programs

International-
trade, embassy representatives

National Debt.-

Organized Crime-

posted on Jul, 15 2003 @ 07:57 PM
link   
Since many programs have been in question by Advisor, let's move the discussion then to budgeting.

I've often felt many of the Government's current programs are unconstitutionally funded, as the Constitution says that Congress shall make the Budget and appropriate funds.

And it also states what things the government is allowed to fund, such as Army and Navy...

posted on Jul, 15 2003 @ 10:06 PM
link   
I personally believe that the defense department is overfunded, taking up over 50% of our national budget. Furthermore, the money that is being given to defense is going to the wrong people. As opposed to the Lockheed Martins, that money should be for pay raises, recruitment incentives, and refurbishing of infrastructure for military servicemen. Now, you know its overfunded when DoD claims that it doesn't know where 1 trillion dollars went in budget allocations.

[Edited on 16-7-2003 by Colonel]

posted on Jul, 15 2003 @ 10:16 PM
link   
Well the primary power of the Federal Government is to provide for the Military, as seen in rticle I: Section 8.

It would seem that the Government is overspending in other areas as they are limited to providing for other things more vague but it seems that they have gone overboard.

Read the section and I think you'll see, we have some huge programs that don't seem to be provided for necessarily and so those should be the first that should be handed down to the states.

Roads and Postal service is the other major thing that the Government can fund.

I'm for passing off General Welfare more onto States and reduce Federal Income tax and let the states support the welfare on their own...allowing States to be less controlled by the Federal Government.

Because he who pays makes the rules...and the Feds have been doing a lot of paying for things States should be doing...like schools.

posted on Jul, 15 2003 @ 10:39 PM
link   
I feel the states already have enough challenge in just funding education on their own. And firmly believe that Federal funded education would redirect about 1trillion $ to the appropriate funding. That would great for starters. Collages would recieve joint funding from state and federal sources. And thus create even wider fields of education...although I'm starting to worry about where some of it leads.

[Edited on 16-7-2003 by ADVISOR]

posted on Jul, 15 2003 @ 10:40 PM
link   
federal funding of education

posted on Jul, 15 2003 @ 10:48 PM
link   
I'm not talking about the funding being over seen by the current people, I'm talking about new everything.

Enough of our tax money is spent on schools anyways, so it is the same anyways.

But, I'm open to see your arguement against it.

top topics

join