It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

your opinions about the terry shivo right to die case

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 20 2005 @ 05:24 PM
link   
the recent news that terry shivo's feeding tube was removed caused me to think about the pros and cons of the right to die thing well i still havent decided what is the best disicion your opinions?

posted on Mar, 21 2005 @ 02:56 PM
link   
First we should ask ourselves how you can even define the right to die.

What is quality of life, how do you define it, do you have a right to take your own life or decide on someone elses.

In this case i think she should live, there are lots of people that are tube fed, just because her quality of life is below average, doesnt mean you should just remove the tube. No-one really knows how she interprets the outside world, she could be totally normally within her own mind but unable to communicate this because of the damage, then again she may be totally unaware.

I doubt we will ever know

posted on Mar, 21 2005 @ 03:20 PM
link   
Personally, I think they should let her go. It's been fifteen years, and she's brain damaged beyond repair. What kind of life is she living? Not much of one. And we as a public are making her husband out to be the bad guy when he's not. He's human. And nobody has even thought about what this feels like for him. Why should it not cause him pain to see the woman he loves (or loved) as a vegetable every day? They lived a life together.

And if he says that she wanted to die instead of being kept alive, then there's no concrete way to prove that she didn't say that. There's no chance that she'll ever be able to feed herself again. She'll be a vegetable until she dies.

And what's more, bringing the national government into this makes me so mad! Why are they spending their time arguing over whether or not she should live instead of trying to solve bigger problems? Don't they have anything better to do? It all looks like an attempt to prove that they have control. Power. It's all about power.

Doesn't anyone realize that even if doctors did find a cure for what she has, that she'd never be the same person anyway? Do her parents just expect that she'll bounce off of the bed and start living life like she did fifteen years ago? Without feeling the least bit embarrassed and humiliated that her life (and death) has been turned into a public spectacle and she's been used as a playing piece in a political battle that will never truly be won?

new topics

join