It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

HORRIBLE Crashes in Ft. Worth, Texas...

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 11 2021 @ 05:00 PM
link   
This is some INSANE stuff right here, well, at least for Texas it is.
I used to live in Irving, Texas, in-between Dallas and Ft. Worth, I have seen similar stuff on the news then, but this is REALLY something, no telling how many were killed or really injured, I am not sure what the statistics are yet, but I believe that it happened this morning. (2-11-21)

For people where it ices over every Winter this may not be that big of a thing, but when you live in an area that if you see ice, it's a BIG thing, we are not used to ice, nobody knows how to navigate it either, as is evident here in this video.
We're not stupid, but driving in ice is something that is not natural, and you need practice to drive in it, we don't even get a chance to practice those skills.

I clicked on this video thinking I was going to watch some whacky stuff that was funny, I left wondering how many people died during this, people just going to work, half asleep and probably had a half drank cup of coffee in the hand...
Also, normally, all of the roadways that are known to be icy will be sanded, but, I guess not in this case.

Please also be advised that there is LANGUAGE in this, the commentator gets a little carried away while witnessing this.

Of course, there's no way to embed this, so please click the link.
www.bitchute.com...

edit on 11-2-2021 by recrisp because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 11 2021 @ 05:03 PM
link   
The best way to drive on ice is not to if you can avoid it. But if you must, you have to realize that not even 4 wheel drive saves you which is a common mistake. You take it slow and you coast to a stop as much as possible. Slamming on your brakes will cause you to slide and once you slide, you lose all control.

It is the great traffic equalizer.

posted on Feb, 11 2021 @ 05:20 PM
link   
My step-dad drives freight for FedEx in the DFW area and that exact piece of road is part of his route. Thank god he's not dead.

edit on 11-2-2021 by NightVision because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 11 2021 @ 05:21 PM
link   
a reply to: ketsuko
And never, slam the accelerator.

Glide, make small adjustments to the wheel to find what still has traction.

Beyond that, it's just instinct, even with that and over a decade of driving on ice, I still ended up going off a hill last October.

Driving on ice is never guaranteed. If theres ice on the road, watch bridges, where concrete switches back to asphalt. Watch for known potholes that could cause momentary lose of traction.

And most importantly, calm down. Ignore the road rage, accept everyone is endangered, you're not more important than grandpa going 30.

posted on Feb, 11 2021 @ 05:25 PM
link   
That is all true.

Our thing down here is that we just don't expect it, and, more importantly, I guess that the City that is supposed to lay down sand (and ice preventing chemicals) the night before, didn't expect it either.

I have driven hours in black ice a few times, and I am from Texas, but, aside from practice it does help to either stay home, of, if you have to go out, make sure you leave plenty of room ahead of you, and try to do the same behind you.

One Friday I left work 30 minutes early so I could get a head start on my 1-1/2 hour drive to my lake cabin, as I got on the Interstate I saw problems up ahead, I got off of the Interstate and went around that problem. I got back on the Interstate and the traffic was all behind me, as far as I could see was completely void of traffic, but it was solid black ice.

I drove cautiously for 7-1/2 hours to my cabin, remember, it normally took me 1-1/2 hours. I got 'almost' to my exit and a semi was in front of me in the highway, it was slipping and sliding and not getting any traction, I somehow was the only lucky one that got around him, the other cars that were behind me didn't get so lucky, they were all at a standstill.

I still had to drive 14 more miles and that was nowhere near as bad as that highway trip, but I did make it unscathed.
So, I know how to drive on black ice, but, if I had been around traffic I may not have been as lucky as I was, someone else could slam into me, no telling what could have happened.
Not in all of my years have I ever had a bad time in ice or snow, but luck and I do know what to do when it comes to that stuff, well, I say that, I mean, I have made it so far, I don't mean to infer that I am a pro.

Black ice is deadly I don't care who you are.
I am SURE that there are stories from people here that have went through some scary stuff, I'd really like to hear some too, maybe we'd all learn a thing or two.

posted on Feb, 11 2021 @ 05:26 PM
link   
a reply to: NightVision
Wasn't that a FedEx truck in that video? I don't mean to say that it was him, but I think that it was from that company.

posted on Feb, 11 2021 @ 05:33 PM
link   
a reply to: recrisp
Not to derail, but black ice got me last October, rolled my car 4 1/2 times. (1/2 because I ended up upside down)

Was getting onto the highway with wintry mix coming down. Speed limit is 60, and the ramp was a donut. Well, around here, people go 70-80 on this stretch of highway, so instead of letting me take my time to get on the highway, some prick comes up at 70-75 mph. So I was trying to accelerate, to get going fast enough , but there was a bridge right where the ramp puts you on, so as my back tires went from concrete bridge to asphalt highway, they lost traction.

Started dovetailing and when I saw the green sign for businesses in front of me, I knew I was going down the hill, is pretty steep. Folded my arms over my stomach and ducked my head in a semi fetal position.

Car got totaled, had to crawl on my belly out the back seat passenger door. All other doors were permanently stuck, even after going to the wreckage yard to reclaim items.

Luckily, I walked away with a scar on my knee and little scratches on my left hand. And a helluva bruise across my gut from the seat belt. Took a month for it to even surface and just cleared up in January.

posted on Feb, 11 2021 @ 05:40 PM
link   

I live in a place where it is winter around 6 months off the year, trust me people here are used to it and STILL do
NOT know how to drive in ice. Just a few weeks ago there were numerous cars in the ditch. Slow down!
Black ice is the worst. I wonder if they are going to say that phrase isn’t PC pretty soon.

posted on Feb, 11 2021 @ 05:40 PM
link   
You're taking your life in your hands when driving in Texas even during perfect weather. Worse than Boston!!

posted on Feb, 11 2021 @ 05:43 PM
link   
a reply to: olaru12
Is it the state of the roads or something?

posted on Feb, 11 2021 @ 05:44 PM
link   

Monday morning our temps were below 10 and I had an appointment at 7:30 I had to make. By the time I got out, we had a weird instance of freezing drizzle/rain even as cold as it was. My car was not warm enough with the air temp to keep the precip from freezing on my windshield, even with my wipers and I ended up having to stop in three different parking lots to de-ice just to get home.

Even so before each stop, I was reduced to a tiny, ice-free window on my windshield before I could get pulled into a parking lot.

And it's not like I was very far away ... 10 minutes on clear roads.

edit on 11-2-2021 by ketsuko because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 11 2021 @ 05:52 PM
link   
a reply to: Nivhk
Hey! Derail all you want, I don't care. This is really kind of important, so we can learn from stories.

That is a heck of a story too, I'm glad that you made it alive.
The GOOD THING that I got from that story though is that you had the foresight to know what to do, not many would.
That right there is something that could help save someone's life in a similar situation.
That was kind of what I was referring to a little while ago, all it takes is one person, that person can take you out and may others along with him/her. Like, in this video, someone did something that made all of this happen, there was the first person, that person started that domino effect.

Thanks for your crazy, but good story!

posted on Feb, 11 2021 @ 05:55 PM
link   
a reply to: JAGStorm
Heheheh, I didn't think of that, "black ice" being racist.

Yeah, it's crazy no matter where you live, I know that, but still, people up in Northern states do have an advantage over us Southerners, well, to a degree. Black ice is, well, black ice, you can't see it until it's too late. Still, one should always expect ice on roads in the Winter, I mean, even here they leave the, "There May Be Ice On Bridge" signs up all year.

posted on Feb, 11 2021 @ 05:59 PM
link   
I'm really glad that we don't (usually) have those conditions down here. although, they are calling for 2 degrees F on Monday, we'll see what that brings.
I have had to do what you went through too, I would just bet that it wasn't as cold as your area. Not just that, but I bet that you had your son in the vehicle too. Scary stuff.

posted on Feb, 11 2021 @ 06:00 PM
link   

originally posted by: Nivhk
Is it the state of the roads or something?

Drunks and tweekers driving on the roads all cranked up.

posted on Feb, 11 2021 @ 06:01 PM
link   
Thanks, it wasn't really that terrifying until I made it back to the road and looked back at my car, I was half a foot from wrapping around a tree, both back and front.

Lost a couple nights of sleep trying to rationalize how I was still alive and basically unscathed.

If I had to add any other advice, its know where you are always.

Even if it's the same mundane route, know the ditches, what's on the sides of the road, if you'd go downhill or even land.

Edit: And put the God damn phone away!

Edit2: A little funny part, as I was walking from the car back to the street, about 6 squad cars had shown up, one officer was starting to try and walk towards me and asked if I was okay,

"No! Lost my #ing new pack of cigarettes!"

I had just left the gas station to get smokes and was heading home before the accident.
edit on 2/11/2021 by Nivhk because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 11 2021 @ 06:04 PM
link   

originally posted by: recrisp
a reply to: NightVision
Wasn't that a FedEx truck in that video? I don't mean to say that it was him, but I think that it was from that company.

Not him. I called after seeing the video the OP posted. Thank God he's OK!

posted on Feb, 11 2021 @ 06:05 PM
link   
Ew, I know exactly the kind of people you're talking about. Unfortunately they aren't isolated to Texas, but they are isolated closer to larger cities in MN.

posted on Feb, 11 2021 @ 06:06 PM
link   

When I was going to school at UNT, if it ever iced over, which was maybe twice in my four years there, I spent the day perched in my dorm room window, looking down on the parking lot across the green, laughing at people spinning and sliding all over trying to get out of there.

Seems like it would just be common sense, even if you had NEVER driven in it, to take things slowly and test it out. Nope. These Texans always just got in their cars and went about driving as if nothing was different. Hilarity always ensued.

posted on Feb, 11 2021 @ 06:08 PM
link   
One morning on the way to work it was really icy on the local bridges, this wasn't on any freeway or highway, it was just the main roads in my town of about 50,000...
I got about halfway to work when I came upon a bridge that had a stack of a few cars on the side of the road, I drove past them and parked on the other side of that bridge. I got out and immediately I heard a 'whizzing' sound, it sounded like, incoming missiles in some war zone. I got out of the way, and just about then, another was coming, then another. It was exactly like what was in this video except that there were no large trucks involved, but the people were going just as fast. The whizzing just kept on, it was so surreal that I will never forget that, I kept expecting to see a German "buzz bomb" come crashing down!

This was also a case where the bridge area was curved, I mean, right before the bridge, on both sides if I remember right.
So, each time I heard a whizzing I heard a BANG! That was the sound of them hitting that bridge, then another softer BANG! that was them crashing into a car that had already crashed and came to a standstill.

I walked down the 2-lane road about 100 yards or so and started flagging down all of the (hundreds of) vehicles by doing the 'arm lowering' gesture (up and down) that one might think to do, hoping to stop the craziness. Nope, I swear to God, I got two people (out of hundreds) that shot me the finger, just for trying to help. Most people that saw me though did actually pay attention, but the two that did what they did were young guys like me, (at the time) 30's, they didn't want to take ANY orders from 'some wannabe cop', in their minds, I guessed. I was only trying my best to stop everyday innocent people from ruining their day, or possibly from killing someone else, some went off the embankment and rolled down the fairly steep hill almost to a creek about 75-ish yards away.

Nobody was being stupid, it was dry pavement 'up until' that bridge, so they were just goin' to work... Nobody got seriously hurt, miraculously. It took me around 1-1/2 hours to go my normal 12 minute commute to work, not counting my stopping to help.

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join