It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

SCI/TECH: New Asian Quake Threat Warning

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 20 2005 @ 04:30 PM
link   
A team from the University of Ulster has claimed that a build up of stress on the same fault line that caused the December 26th Tsunami/Earthquake last year may cause another one soon, with a magnitude of possibly 8 to 8.5 on the richter scale. They have been unable to predict when it might happen, but cite previous examples of similar faults in Japan going through the same process as a warning that it is possible.

news.bbc.co.uk
A build-up of stress on faults in Sumatra following the Indonesian earthquake is likely to trigger another large quake and perhaps a tsunami. That is the claim made in Nature by a team from the University of Ulster, UK.

The slip that caused last year's devastating quake placed increased stress on the Sumatran fault and on the adjacent undersea Sunda Trench.

A new rupture could trigger a magnitude 7-7.5 quake on land and a magnitude 8-8.5 quake beneath the sea, they say.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

Whilst the jury is still out on the claims made by these Scientists, I think the region should situp and take notice of this report.

Should they dismiss it and something happen again on the scale of last years Tsunami, then this could cause untold problems around the region, both economically and politically.

Hopefully, after last years devastation, they and other Nations like the US and Europe will prepare for any repeat, so that Human casualties can be kept to a minimum.

Related News Links:
www.nature.com

posted on Mar, 20 2005 @ 04:56 PM
link   
this story was on ATSNN on 3/16 already
NEWS: Stress Buildup Likely to Trigger another Indian Ocean Earthquake

and btw, I do believe the recent big earthquakes in the Pacific could be connected to this, Aceh, Fiji, Tonga and Japan all had sizeable quakes in the past day or so
Quake Watch

[edit on 3-20-2005 by worldwatcher]

posted on Mar, 21 2005 @ 09:38 PM
link   

Whilst the jury is still out on the claims made by these Scientists, I think the region should situp and take notice of this report.

From above story lead in.

Got to wonder if any place if really safe:

Kentucky quake

Calif. Worries about destruction of Nuclear Plant related to earthquake fears

Tennessee quake

Listings for Turkey and Amarillo, Texas also. Amazing.

I don't know if this is normal or not. This may be a routine year.

posted on Mar, 21 2005 @ 09:41 PM
link   
Yup, I got beat to it as well!! And now I have a thread in Other Current events, so this one stands no chance!

I used the same BBC news links too....

Good try though!

posted on Mar, 21 2005 @ 09:42 PM
link   
Thats coz it is my submission.....woops....now I look like a right pillock

posted on Mar, 21 2005 @ 09:43 PM
link   
I think its pretty obvious that there's going to be a big earthquake in that area. There are several plates and microplates that were involved in the sumatran earthqauke. If these researchers in Ulster have been able to model the stresses along complex plate boundaries, well, that'd be quite the accomplishement.

posted on Mar, 21 2005 @ 09:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by worldwatcher
this story was on ATSNN on 3/16 already
NEWS: Stress Buildup Likely to Trigger another Indian Ocean Earthquake

and btw, I do believe the recent big earthquakes in the Pacific could be connected to this, Aceh, Fiji, Tonga and Japan all had sizeable quakes in the past day or so
Quake Watch

[edit on 3-20-2005 by worldwatcher]

yea!!!

i am mentioned by my work

i feel special

[edit on 21-3-2005 by they see ALL]

new topics

top topics

join