It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

BUSINESS: Wal-Mart To Pay $11 Million

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 20 2005 @ 03:09 PM
link   
The Largest retailer in the nation, Wal-Mart Stores Inc., has agreed to pay Eleven Million after a federal investigation found hundred's of illegal immigrants working for Wal-Mart. As lawsuit after lawsuit is brought against Wal-Mart for abusing employees, child labor, and for intimidating workers who try to Unionize, they finally have to pay a fine. Although they are paying this large sum of money they admit no wrong doing, claiming that they did not know that contrators were hiring illegal immigrants. The Federal Investigators say 375 illegal immigrants were hired as janitors between 1998 and 2003.

www.washingtonpost.com
Wal-Mart Stores Inc., the nation's largest retailer, agreed to pay $11 million to settle a federal investigation that found hundreds of illegal immigrants were hired to clean its stores, government and company officials said yesterday.

U.S. officials described the settlement's dollar figure as the largest of its kind. But Wal-Mart admitted no wrongdoing in the case, saying it was unaware contractors were employing illegal immigrants.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

Eleven Million dollars to a company that makes over 285 Billion dollars is nothing. I don't expect this to deter others from hiring illegal immigrants. Although it is a crackdown on hiring illegals, more is needed to be done. Backround checks and other things to prove the person is here legally would be a start.

Related News Links:
www.newkerala.com
www.nytimes.com

posted on Mar, 20 2005 @ 03:30 PM
link   
When I apply for a job as a natural born citizen of America, I must provide copies of this and sign that. I must declare my ability to work in the US. I must provide,..etc etc.

And now we wonder why the illegals are flooding into the states. It's because ONLY Americans are checked and cross checked. If you are an illegal, the firms commonly overlook this issue, and in some cases, 'assist' the illegal to comply with the forms.

This is happening everywhere and in low to high profile companies.

Just this month I think, a major airline maintenance contractor ( Timco ) was busted for having all kinds of illegal staff working there. And in some cases fake SS numbers given by the hiring firm for those that didnt have one.

TIMCO Aviation Services Inc. is one of the largest independent Commercial Jet Maintenance, Repair, Modification, Overhaul and Aircraft Storage service providers in the United States.

Servicing:
Boeing 717 / 727 / 737 / 757 / 767 / 777
McDonnell Douglas DC-9 / DC-10 / MD-11 / MD-80
Lockheed C130
Airbus A300 / A310 / A320

Now Walmart? Well I just cant see that being a major non-economic security issue, but Timco, geez !!

But there are many other cases like this demonstrating the willingness of the American business community in enabling and facilitating illegals for the sake of profit, and at great cost to the communities.

posted on Mar, 20 2005 @ 11:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by smirkley

And now we wonder why the illegals are flooding into the states. It's because ONLY Americans are checked and cross checked. If you are an illegal, the firms commonly overlook this issue, and in some cases, 'assist' the illegal to comply with the forms.

Well it seems that the United Kingdom isnt the only country with this problem...

posted on Mar, 21 2005 @ 01:09 AM
link   
a mild laugh comes from the canadian box.heeheh just another company getting its justice........

[edit on 21-3-2005 by flukemol]

[edit on 21-3-2005 by flukemol]

new topics

top topics

join