It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

WAR: British troops were supplied with blank ammunition

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 20 2005 @ 12:28 PM
link   
Recent reports show that British troops stationed in Iraq were supplied with blank ammunition, poorly constructed body armor, as well as insufficient medical supplies. In outrage, thousands of people flooded the streets of the UK in protest of the recent logistical failures and urge for a sudden withdrawal of British troops from Iraqi territory.

news.independent.co.uk
British troops in Iraq have been supplied with blank rounds instead of live ammunition, one of a catalogue of failures during the occupation that have put their lives at risk, according to a hard-hitting report to be published this week.

Inability to provide body armour and medical supplies in sufficient quantities are also understood to be among logistical shortcomings identified by the influential Commons Defence Select Committee. News of its findings came as tens of thousands of protesters marched through central London yesterday on the second anniversary of the invasion, calling for the Government to withdraw British troops from Iraq.

Demonstrators delivered a black cardboard coffin, symbolising civilian victims in Iraq, to the American embassy in Grosvenor Square before marching on to a public rally in Trafalgar Square. The organisers, the Stop the War Coalition, said more than 100,000 took part, but police estimates were nearer 45,000. There were simultaneous anti-war marches in European cities including Rome, Athens, Oslo and Stockholm.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

This is without a doubt a severe logistical failure on behalf of the British military. Supplying the troops with blank rounds is just about as efficient as supplying the Royal Airforce with 'Paper Airplanes'. This is inexcusable in such a delicate time of war and errors such as this can be directly attributed to the 110+ British lives that have been lost since the beginning of the Iraqi conflict.

posted on Mar, 20 2005 @ 12:56 PM
link   
There is nothing here that says how and why the British troops were supplied with blanks.......I want to know how it is possible for an over sight like this to occur. Assumedly, blanks would be kept in training situations.....completely different war supply. Furthermore, blanks are clearly defined from real ammunition so as to avoid a mix-up in......the distinction is a life and death issue and as such is not casually dealt with!!!!! A mix-up is highly unlikely!!

This is a very bizarre story as I can't see how this could hapen......my immediate guess would be shock testing.....a technique where an intentional act is committed to gauge the publics reaction.....however I still don't see the point.

posted on Mar, 20 2005 @ 01:09 PM
link   
memoryshock
My guess, and mind you this is only a guess:

The troops were sent crates and crates of blanks (clearly marked) when what they really needed was more live ammo. That's the only way I can understand this comment.

Either that or, like you said, this is a test, this is only a test, if this were a real emergency..you'd never hear about it.

posted on Mar, 20 2005 @ 01:28 PM
link   
I am not sure what to make of this.

I doubt that any solder would knowing load his gun with blanks unless ordered to do so. Perhaps it may have been used for crowd control situations only as in shock and awe knowing the ammo was clearly marked blanks.

Considering the fact this info only came out during the protests, maybe the media is using this just to make more of the story then there actually is. Kind of like tabloid journalision if you get my drift.

posted on Mar, 20 2005 @ 01:32 PM
link   
Not sure how accurate this report is.
Will have to wait for the report later this week as quoted.

British troops in Iraq have been supplied with blank rounds instead of live ammunition, one of a catalogue of failures during the occupation that have put their lives at risk, according to a hard-hitting report to be published this week.

As it says above,

according to a hard-hitting report to be published this week.

According being the key word here.

posted on Mar, 20 2005 @ 01:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by WyrdeOne
The troops were sent crates and crates of blanks (clearly marked) when what they really needed was more live ammo. That's the only way I can understand this comment.

Yeah, really.......but how do you send blanks instead of live ammunition.....

posted on Mar, 20 2005 @ 01:33 PM
link   
it makes me wonder if this as the reason for the deaths of the 6 Red Caps killed on 24 June 2003 by a mob of more than 400 Iraqis. Being as they were not "combat" soldiers and would only require ammo for "crowd control" they may have been supplied.

Link

posted on Mar, 20 2005 @ 01:34 PM
link   
No wonder the British claim a "low civilian casualty rate" by their soldiers!

BTW: Who's to say that was an accident? Perhaps some soldiers opposed to the Iraq war had a hand in "slipping" the blanks in the shipment?

posted on Mar, 20 2005 @ 01:38 PM
link   

BTW: Who's to say that was an accident? Perhaps some soldiers opposed to the Iraq war had a hand in "slipping" the blanks in the shipment?

There is no way that soldiers would put other soldiers at risk by committing such an act.

posted on Mar, 20 2005 @ 01:38 PM
link   
I have to say that this is unfounded as yet.
Lets wait untill we find out for real. I sincerely doubt that any British troops would knowingly send blank ammunition.
The checks are too stringent for this to happen.

posted on Mar, 20 2005 @ 02:55 PM
link   
i read they were poorly equiped with armour in the news
but amunation that just comes out as a joke

posted on Mar, 20 2005 @ 02:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by Bikereddie
I have to say that this is unfounded as yet.
Lets wait untill we find out for real. I sincerely doubt that any British troops would knowingly send blank ammunition.
The checks are too stringent for this to happen.

How would you find out "for real" in such a case as this? Who needs to tell you before you believe?

posted on Mar, 20 2005 @ 03:28 PM
link   
could iraq be a test to accept an invasion off North Korea and iran becouse who are we fighting terrorists or are selfs chemical weapons or are minds ?

[edit on 20-3-2005 by leejones]

[edit on 20-3-2005 by leejones]

posted on Mar, 20 2005 @ 03:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by wecomeinpeace

There is no way that soldiers would put other soldiers at risk by committing such an act.

You're right

I didn't think about that - good call! Thanks

posted on Mar, 20 2005 @ 03:37 PM
link   
Are not blank rounds market as such, even in the military?

This certainly does have the stinking smell of conspiracy, tho I can't imagine what purpose it could solve. THis is most bizzare.

posted on Mar, 20 2005 @ 03:52 PM
link   
Even if the crates were marked or whatever....
Blanks are easily recognisable with differant
characteristics....

The British troops have to have known about it......

Im lost....

posted on Mar, 20 2005 @ 04:05 PM
link   
...and the British troops didn't notice the ammo were blanks? Doesn't this sound a little strange?...

posted on Mar, 20 2005 @ 05:01 PM
link   
accidents however do happen, remember that the Army is still made from people from the general public, these are not super beings capable of being infalible. I would imagine that the armoury in the UK would more than likely keep ammunition blank or live in the same place. How difficvult would it be for a squadie in the armoury to select the wrong crate? the entry requirment into the army is not that high and therefore you have to be able to consider the fact that a numpty may have just loaded the wrong case of ordinance. accidents do happen. the report also doesn't state that this an expansive occurance only that it had occured. this may have beena one off that has been reported because the soldier in question that passed on the information may have seen this to be haphazard and totally unbelievable.

posted on Mar, 20 2005 @ 05:37 PM
link   

Telegraph- two years ago
But he also reported that "a lot of us don't agree with being here. It's not our job, it's the Americans'. I'd like to hear a decent argument for being here."

Not exactly relevant to the story, but in the same genre.

I remember something some time back (can't find it on Internet) about blank ammo. If I remember right some kind of add-on must be placed on the barrel to use the stuff as the chamber pressures are not high enough to operate weapons.

The troops wouldn't be using the stuff. It was just a supply mix-up.

posted on Mar, 20 2005 @ 08:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by JoeDoaks

The troops wouldn't be using the stuff. It was just a supply mix-up.

I tend to agree with you Joe. Supply mix ups are very common. More then likely someone marked a crate wrong therefore it may have gotten mixed up with live ammo by accident, now the media is making a big deal out of it.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join