It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

RiP Captain Sir Tom Moore.

page: 1

join
share:
+2 more 
posted on Feb, 2 2021 @ 12:04 PM
link   
Army war veteran Tom Moore was taken to the hearts of he Nation last year when he decided at the age of 99 to walk 100 laps of his garden to raise money for the NHS , his intention was to raise just £1,000 but after his story was picked up by the media he ended up raising almost £33 Million. Since then he'd been Knighted by the Queen and was given an honorary promotion to Colonel by the Ministry of Defence.

Last week he came down with the Corona virus , on Sunday he was taken to hospital with breathing difficulties and today his family have announced his death .

The daughters' statement said: "It is with great sadness that we announce the death of our dear father.

"We are so grateful that we were with him during the last hours of his life; Hannah, Benjie and Georgia by his bedside and Lucy on FaceTime.

"We spent hours chatting to him, reminiscing about our childhood and our wonderful mother. We shared laughter and tears together.

"The last year of our father's life was nothing short of remarkable. He was rejuvenated and experienced things he'd only ever dreamed of.

"Whilst he'd been in so many hearts for just a short time, he was an incredible father and grandfather, and he will stay alive in our hearts forever."
www.bbc.co.uk...

RiP Captain Sir Tom Moore , you provided the good news story our Nation needed and today I along with millions of others salute your effort on the day of your passing.

Thank you , Sir.

edit on 2-2-2021 by gortex because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 2 2021 @ 12:16 PM
link   
It's sort of like this story.

These are the ones COVID is most dangerous to - the old and the already infirm.

This poor kid spent most of her life fighting cancer with chemo and other forms of treatment, including a marrow transplant.

posted on Feb, 2 2021 @ 12:35 PM
link   
What a great story, Too bad those influences are far and few between now,

posted on Feb, 2 2021 @ 01:11 PM
link   
He was a real old fashioned British gentleman! My he rest in peace (or maybe walk laps in peace!)

posted on Feb, 2 2021 @ 01:24 PM
link   
Is really sad,

He became more than just a old guy doing laps, he was a symbol in a way of the British attitude towards Covid, at least that’s how I saw him and I think that’s why his death has hit me.

He is going to go down big in the history books. This guy is gonna have schools and hospitals named after him and deservedly so.

posted on Feb, 2 2021 @ 04:12 PM
link   
So sad but did he actually die of Covid or the Pneumonia he was suffering from ?

posted on Feb, 2 2021 @ 05:08 PM
link   
a reply to: gortex

Sir Tom was a part of " The Greatest Generation ", the likes of we will never see again.

They put others before themselves.

R.I.P. Sir Tom and may God bless you.Your place in history is assured.

posted on Feb, 2 2021 @ 06:08 PM
link   
So sad to hear this news.
R.I.P. Sir Tom

I was hoping he would have lived longer and seen out the pandemic.

In any case, it was great to see him receive a Knighthood and honorary promotion. I think that gave him an immense feeling of pride; even if the medal doesn't maketh the man.

Covid is just a bastard killer and death personified.

posted on Feb, 2 2021 @ 07:23 PM
link   
a reply to: gortex

Let's hope he has his tap shoes on and is young again, he had a good innings and he gave far more back than he ever took.

I hope he see's old friends long lost but never forgotten, God bless and keep him (perhaps or very nearly the end of an ERA, there are so few veterans from that era left today and the kid's of today just don't care or have a clue of the sacrifice these old folk's made for them).

edit on 2-2-2021 by LABTECH767 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 3 2021 @ 06:31 AM
link   
a reply to: OtherSideOfTheCoin

Respect to the fella for doing his garden laps, the exercise and fund raising probably kept him going at 99.

He is going to go down big in the history books. This guy is gonna have schools and hospitals named after him and deservedly so

Not really, if the media hadn’t blown up the story he wouldn’t have raised anything like the money he did. The media selectively choosing what to report and what not to, effectively manipulating the public should be a grave concern for people.

Many people do far more heroic things everyday than walking laps of their garden that we never get to hear about.

posted on Feb, 3 2021 @ 09:20 AM
link   
a reply to: surfer_soul

Many people do far more heroic things everyday than walking laps of their garden that we never get to hear about.

He was 99 year old ww2 vet who raised 33M for charity.

Say what you want about the media but this old lad done more for this country in our time of need than most, he deserves to be recognised for that.

posted on Feb, 3 2021 @ 11:27 AM
link   
a reply to: OtherSideOfTheCoin

I read he raised the money for the NHS, not charity in general. He was specifically raising the money for the NHS. But we pay for the NHS through our taxes, it isn’t a charity it’s something just about everyone in Britain agrees on, to fund the NHS.

He was recognised for his efforts, in my town where he grew up there is a massive sign in the centre saying “Thank you captain Tom” he was just doing what he thought he could to help, that doesn’t make him a hero. Just a decent human being.

I don’t see what being a ww2 vet has to do with anything, everyone caught up in that mess was both a hero, except for those that financed, profited and prolonged it.

posted on Feb, 3 2021 @ 12:30 PM
link   

You have your opinion and I have mine

I think the man was a true hero for what he done.

posted on Feb, 3 2021 @ 12:57 PM
link   

Not really, if the media hadn’t blown up the story he wouldn’t have raised anything like the money he did.

Obviously not but his story was picked up by local media in an effort to help him achieve his goal then picked up by the National media with the goal of reporting on something that wasn't Doom and Gloom , the Great British public did the rest.

Or perhaps they don't which is why we never hear about it ... who knows.

As far as I was aware he raised the money for NHS Charities not the NHS in general , I'm sure that money will help them help more people.

The Association of NHS Charities, operating as NHS Charities Together, is a federation of over 250 charitable organisations that supports all the devolved National Health Service (NHS), their staff, volunteers and patients, in the United Kingdom. The organisation acts as collective voice for NHS charities as well as coordinating national fundraising efforts.[2][3][4][5]

The charity came to increased prominence during the COVID-19 pandemic, when 99-year old Captain Tom Moore raised over £30 million for them, by walking laps of his garden, and releasing a single with Michael Ball, which went to number 1 in the UK charts.[6][7] In December 2020, the Duke and Duchess of Cambridge became joint patrons of the organization
en.wikipedia.org...

edit on 3-2-2021 by gortex because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

join