It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Watch live today: bluShift Aerospace to launch 1st biofuel rocket from Maine

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 31 2021 @ 12:46 PM
link   
Launch is scheduled for about an hours time from the start of this thread , approximately 2.30-300 EST (7.30-8.00 GMT).

The launch was originally set for earlier today but for reasons has been put back.

Powered by a non-toxic, carbon-neutral, bio-derived fuel made entirely from materials that can be sourced from farms across America. Stardust 1.0 will demonstrate a low-cost and reliable alternative to traditional fuel without sacrificing efficiency. The Modular Adaptable Rocket Engine for Vehicle Launch, or MAREVL™, can rapidly be grouped in clusters and stages with other MAREVLs. This design architecture allows for the rapid assembly of custom rockets for suborbital and orbital missions.
www.space.com...

Good luck bluShift Aerospace , a nonpolluting launch platform has to be a step forward and thing to be celebrated.

posted on Jan, 31 2021 @ 01:42 PM
link   
a reply to: gortex

This one is only going a mile high with 17 lbs of payload.
The article says they are working on a rocket that will launch 66lbs of payload.
That is less weight than two five gallon buckets of water.
What type of cargo would be that small?

posted on Jan, 31 2021 @ 01:48 PM
link   
a reply to: Bluntone22

I'm watching the feed now, and they are saying Nano-Sats/Cube-sats with maine having a better ability to hit a polar orbit.
edit on 31-1-2021 by Bigburgh because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 31 2021 @ 01:51 PM
link   

Small cube satellites.
This is a test of the engine capability , if successful will be the start of a journey to clean space launches.

posted on Jan, 31 2021 @ 01:53 PM
link   

Cheers for the heads up.
Watching now.

posted on Jan, 31 2021 @ 01:56 PM
link   

originally posted by: gortex

Small cube satellites.
This is a test of the engine capability , if successful will be the start of a journey to clean space launches.

“Clean”

posted on Jan, 31 2021 @ 02:01 PM
link   
Hold for a passing snowmobile 😝

Edit: well it worked, hope to see another angle of the launch. The onboard cam kept buffering. But it was a success

edit on 31-1-2021 by Bigburgh because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 31 2021 @ 02:28 PM
link   
Rocket worked better than the live stream eh

Hoping that release a recording, I love seeing the actual launch.

posted on Jan, 31 2021 @ 02:52 PM
link   
There she goes....

posted on Jan, 31 2021 @ 03:16 PM
link   

Ummm...SpaceX Raptor engines use methane and oxygen...last time I checked...methane is a bio fuel...

So their claim of first...has missed the mark by a few years...and the reporting claim is just slightly disingenuous...at best...

YouSir

posted on Jan, 31 2021 @ 03:24 PM
link   

It was a shame about the buffering.

Did I miss-hear or was that a giant F bomb from the commentator?
Didn't see the launch itself but I heard that and thought "must've been a good one!".

posted on Jan, 31 2021 @ 03:53 PM
link   

There she goes....

Thank you😆

posted on Jan, 31 2021 @ 03:54 PM
link   

originally posted by: Tulpa

It was a shame about the buffering.

Did I miss-hear or was that a giant F bomb from the commentator?
Didn't see the launch itself but I heard that and thought "must've been a good one!".

No I heard a loud Fffff yeah! Then dogs barking. The sound was ok, but the video needed work 😆

posted on Jan, 31 2021 @ 04:03 PM
link   
a reply to: Bigburgh

Certainly don't get that with NASA!

Or passing snowmobiles.

posted on Jan, 31 2021 @ 07:31 PM
link   

originally posted by: Tulpa
a reply to: Bigburgh

Certainly don't get that with NASA!

Or passing snowmobiles.

NASA doesn't launch up in the county.

For reference Maine is a pretty big place. That far north, we just call it the county.

posted on Jan, 31 2021 @ 07:55 PM
link   

Launch is scheduled for about an hours time from the start of this thread , approximately 2.30-300 EST (7.30-8.00 GMT).

The launch was originally set for earlier today but for reasons has been put back.

Powered by a non-toxic, carbon-neutral, bio-derived fuel made entirely from materials that can be sourced from farms across America. Stardust 1.0 will demonstrate a low-cost and reliable alternative to traditional fuel without sacrificing efficiency. The Modular Adaptable Rocket Engine for Vehicle Launch, or MAREVL™, can rapidly be grouped in clusters and stages with other MAREVLs. This design architecture allows for the rapid assembly of custom rockets for suborbital and orbital missions.
www.space.com...

Good luck bluShift Aerospace , a nonpolluting launch platform has to be a step forward and thing to be celebrated.

Biofuel is non-polluting? Please explain. It has to be processed, where does the energy come from to process this magic non-polluting biofuel? Zero emissions too? Wow, that must be some real special magic fuel.

posted on Jan, 31 2021 @ 08:17 PM
link   
Solid bio fuel? Carbonaceous solids and an oxidizer like Ammonium Perchlorate (NH4ClO4) would work but I can't easily find their technology. The amount they are combusting into evil CO2 is inconsequential.

posted on Jan, 31 2021 @ 08:21 PM
link   
a reply to: panoz77

It’s like electric cars being emissions free.
Biofuel is probably green speak for biodiesel or similar.

Most rockets use liquid oxygen and kerosene as fuel.. solid rockets are a different monster.
This rocket likely replaces the kerosene with biodiesel.
Not to sure it has enough pop to replace kerosene in larger rockets.

Biofuels are normally made from grain that is cultivated, planted and harvested with diesel fueled equipment.
It’s also sprayed with petroleum based fertilizer and herbicide.

posted on Jan, 31 2021 @ 08:23 PM
link   
a reply to: pteridine

Is it solid fuel?
I didn’t see where it said either way.

posted on Jan, 31 2021 @ 08:48 PM
link   

originally posted by: Bluntone22
a reply to: pteridine

Is it solid fuel?
I didn’t see where it said either way.

I looked again and found their website www.blushiftaerospace.com...

"Rocket Engine Type: Hybrid

Fuel: Proprietary, non-toxic, bio-derived solid fuel

TNT Rating of Fuel: 0

Oxidizer: Non-toxic, non-cryogenic pressurized liquid"

I think that they are being coy with their oxidizer description. If it oxidizes biomass it will probably oxidize people.
Thinking about liquid oxidizers that would not produce toxic gases, 70+% H2O2 comes to mind, although partial combustion would generate some aldehydes, ketones, and carboxylic acids. H2O2 is nasty stuff in such high concentrations and getting any on anything carbonaceous, including human flesh, is a bad idea. The configuration of the fuel charge would be important so as to have a good burn. This likely isn't a pile of sawdust; maybe a bio-derived polymer/starch cast in a cruciform cross section or somehow mixed in a combustion chamber.

edit on 1/31/2021 by pteridine because: clarification

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join