It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

SHORT STORY WRITERS CONTEST for February 2021 -- FREE YOUR MIND -- FYM2021...winners update

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:
+8 more 
posted on Jan, 30 2021 @ 05:58 PM
link   
This is an Official ATS Short Story Writers Contest!

It is open to ALL members of ATS.

There are prizes to be won in the form of ATS "Applause" and even the opportunity for entrants to acquire official ATS "writer" status, but it is more about sharing our creative ideas, encouraging & developing new talent and having Fun!
We will try to hold around one contest 4-6 times per year.

The current contest theme is: " -- "FREE YOUR MIND" [FYM2021]
The topic was chosen by the winner of our last contest 727Sky.

For a change of pace, 727Sky has chosen to allow members to pick their own topic.
Any topic within the Terms of ATS is fair game.
Your assignment is writing a SHORT STORY, using your imagination or your life experiences.

HOW you do that is... of course, up to YOU!

RULES of ENTRY:
Original written entries only please.

The contest will run from NOW to Monday, March 1, 2021.
(Any submissions after that date will be disqualified.)

A period of ONE WEEK after the closing of the contest will be provided for reading & voting.

All TERMS and CONDITIONS Apply.

All entries MUST include [FYM2021] in the title.
(e.g. "The first time I tried to fix my computer! [FYM2021]”)

There is no word count limit, but please remember that it is a SHORT story contest but the story should be confined to the OP!!!
Stories that run past the OP are accepted but no points given for additional posts, see SCORING below.

All entries must be posted in their own thread within the SHORT STORIES forum HERE, with a link (to your entry) added to a post in this contest thread. (Just ask if you're not sure how to link!)

Please END all of your submissions with "THE END" so that everyone is clear that your entry is complete.

WINNERS:
There will be 3 winners among members who already have ATS "Writer" status, prizes as follows:

1st Place -- 5 Applause, and selection of the next contest theme (limited to one in a row)
2nd Place -- 3 Applause
3rd Place -- 1 Applause

There will also be 3 winners from the non-writer category who will receive the following:

1st Place -- 3 Applause & Writer Status
2nd Place -- 2 Applause & Writer Status
3rd Place -- 1 Applause

SCORING

Points are awarded by ATS members giving FLAGS to their favorite story threads and STARS to their favorite story opening post.
(You can award a Flag and/or star(s) to any stories that you like, but please don't give flags or stars for any other reasons!!)

Flags awarded will be worth 2 points each.
Stars in the opening post will be worth 1 point each.
*******No other posts will earn points for the contest.********

If the winner of the "Writers" section is the same person who chose the current theme, then the opportunity to choose the next theme will fall to the runner up.
Only one prize per member per contest.

I am happy to try answer anything else the contests/rules etc.

And please... ENJOY this new contest, GOOD LUCK, HAPPY READING and HAVE FUN!

Note: Image selection and artwork thanks to JohnnyAnonymous.

edit on Sat Jan 30 2021 by DontTreadOnMe because: (no reason given)

Winners update

www.abovetopsecret.com...
edit on Thu Mar 11 2021 by DontTreadOnMe because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 30 2021 @ 06:05 PM
link   
a reply to: DontTreadOnMe

Wow the image is really great!

posted on Jan, 30 2021 @ 06:12 PM
link   
a reply to: Peeple

It truly is....just perfect for the contest!

posted on Jan, 30 2021 @ 06:15 PM
link   
Hey everyone.. welcome to the new year and a new series of Writer's Short Stories Contest !

posted on Jan, 31 2021 @ 12:01 AM
link   
Good luck everyone!

posted on Jan, 31 2021 @ 03:32 PM
link   
I've been waiting impatiently for this. ❤
Time to get the creative juices flowing.

posted on Feb, 3 2021 @ 01:47 PM
link   
I thought I write something upbeat, to Lift everybody's spirits a little with the ... you know the 'situation'.
Futility writer.
Or how was that do I have to include that in the story/thread title?

posted on Feb, 3 2021 @ 04:39 PM
link   

I am working on my story and will post it soon.

posted on Feb, 3 2021 @ 05:47 PM
link   

Something a little different Cycles of a New/Old beginning

FYM2021 www.abovetopsecret.com...

edit on 727rdk21 by 727Sky because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 3 2021 @ 07:34 PM
link   
My submission. Writer status.
~~Weathered~~

posted on Feb, 4 2021 @ 10:38 PM
link   
a reply to: mamabeth

I look forward to reading it....and all the other entries.

posted on Feb, 4 2021 @ 11:47 PM
link   
I'm enjoying everyone's stories and want to ask that maybe some of the other's need a little prodding to get their story composed. We all need them, and I'm reminded of the following....

edit on 2/4/2021 by JohnnyAnonymous because: Typo

posted on Feb, 5 2021 @ 10:18 PM
link   
Linky: Even In Our Sleep FUM2031

TEOTWAWKIAIFF
Writer

Thanks for this! It was fun to think of an idea to share!!

edit on 5-2-2021 by TEOTWAWKIAIFF because: it has been that kind of week

posted on Feb, 8 2021 @ 02:28 PM
link   

Here is my story...www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Feb, 8 2021 @ 06:42 PM
link   

For a change of pace, 727Sky has chosen to allow members to pick their own topic.

Well that's interesting.

posted on Feb, 10 2021 @ 06:48 PM
link   

originally posted by: JohnnyAnonymous
I'm enjoying everyone's stories and want to ask that maybe some of the other's need a little prodding to get their story composed. We all need them, and I'm reminded of the following....

Ditto!

Looking forward to more stories......

posted on Feb, 15 2021 @ 08:16 PM
link   
Ok People... Are you in a slump, or just stumped?

The previous Contest winner made it incredibly easy for you to present us with anything you can think of (story wise). I know we've got some folks out there just waiting for the right theme to come up... Well that time Is Now !

I HAVE A NEED... A NEED FOR A READ !

edit on 2/15/2021 by JohnnyAnonymous because: Little housecleaning

posted on Feb, 16 2021 @ 01:31 PM
link   

I've been enjoying the intriguing stories posted so far and I have an urge to join in. However, I have a question: does anyone know what the character limit is for a single post? I would like to keep my story short enough to avoid overflowing into a new post, as I tend to ramble on.

I've searched, but can't find the answer on the boards.

Edit: I put on my savvy searching hat and found an old thread discussing this. I read 7,500 characters... could that be right?

edit on 16-2-2021 by Encia22 because: Perhaps answered my own question.

posted on Feb, 16 2021 @ 05:10 PM
link   

originally posted by: Encia22

I've been enjoying the intriguing stories posted so far and I have an urge to join in. However, I have a question: does anyone know what the character limit is for a single post? I would like to keep my story short enough to avoid overflowing into a new post, as I tend to ramble on.

Well you my friend have perfect timing as according to the main OP (Original Post) is stated:

There is no word count limit, but please remember that it is a SHORT story contest but the story should be confined to the OP!!!

So as long as you wish... but to help find a happy medium just keep in mind that this is a "Short Story Contest", and I know everyone has an idea as to what is long and short. I personally don't think you've got anything to worry about as long as it's not as long as the book "War and Peace".

And I, the staff, and especially (and more importantly), the membership of ATS all look forward to whatever you create and submit for us to read.

CHEERS!
Johnny

***ETA***

(CHARACTER COUNT)
I believe it's closer to just above the 9000 character mark. So you should be very comfortable in your composing. Just remember to conclude with a "The End" so we all know that you've finished.

edit on 2/16/2021 by JohnnyAnonymous because: added information on Character Count

posted on Feb, 16 2021 @ 08:15 PM
link   
a reply to: JohnnyAnonymous

Thanks, Johnny! Your words of encouragement are welcoming and the extra information has put my mind at ease. The character count is more than enough to recount my story; I just need to be economical with my words and not get carried away.

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join