It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why not have an ATS Book Review Forum?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 20 2005 @ 10:22 AM
link   
I've been thinking about this for a while; however I believe it's the most relevant as of recent. Above Top Secret is now considered a 'Champion of Literacy' promoting literacy to the youth across the world.

Wouldn't it make sense to have an Above Top Secret Book Review Forum?

I'm confident that many of the members of ATS are well read individuals. We've completed some of the most philosophical, religious, political, and scientific books ever published. So why not inform other members about them?

The forum could be structured something along these lines:

At the bottom of General Forums could be a forum labeled Book Reviews.

In order to post a book review, members need to obtain a title much like the Research Forum, Debate Forum, and the Collaborative Fiction.

The title could be something like:
Observer
Philosopher
Reader

This title would of course be placed under the name of the individual who post the book review.

Each book review would be under a specific section, something like:
Political Conspiracies
Time Travel
Environmental
Mysticism
Quantum Physics
Mind Over Matter
Parapsychology
Hidden Anthropology
Modern Shamanism
Alternative Medicine
...etc (to just name a few)

The sections could be subdivided in order to further categorize their topics.

Once a member has found the proper section to place the book review in, they would need to:

1.) Upload a small image of the book (which can easily be obtained off the numerous book websites such as amazon.com and www.bn.com).

2.) Give the Title of the book:
The Corporation: The Pathological Pursuit of Profit and Power

3.) The name of the Author:
Joel Bakan

4.) A short description of the book (which could be directly from the publisher):
As incisive as Eric Schlosser's bestselling Fast Food Nation, as rigorous as Joseph E. Stiglitz's Globalization and Its Discontents, and as scathing as Michael Moore's Stupid White Men, Joel Bakan's new book is a brilliantly argued account of the corporation's pathological pursuit of profit and power. An eminent law professor and legal theorist, Bakan contends that the corporation is created by law to function much like a psychopathic personality whose destructive behavior, if left unchecked, leads to scandal and ruin.

5.) And of course a Full review of the book somewhere along the lines of 500-1000 words.

6.) And maybe some type of ranking system such as...5 magnyfying glasses

7.) And here is the best part of all. A Buy here in which members could purchase the book from a leading internet book store. All commission proceeds go to ATS attempt to promote literacy

What do you guys think?

posted on Mar, 20 2005 @ 10:25 AM
link   
I think that's a fine idea.

It would help promote literacy, help whittle down the impossible volume of books in publication for a person who really wants to make the most of their reading time, and it would attract even more traffic from an inteligent, diverse spread of demographics.

I'm all for it.

posted on Mar, 20 2005 @ 10:38 AM
link   
That's a good idea Simulacra. Well thought out.

We've had a few runs at a BTS Book Club in the past, but nobody would read the books.

I think it would be great though if people would start taking some initiative to use the Literature forum to do just this. (It's not like anyone else is using it.)

Do it. Don't worry about hyperlinks to buy books or vanity access titles just yet. Just do it. Review books in BTS literature. Use any graphics you want.

Make it take off, then we'll incorporate the bells and whistles as dictated by growth.

[edit on 20-3-2005 by RANT]

posted on Mar, 20 2005 @ 03:25 PM
link   
Excellent idea, can't wait to see how it progresses.

Good thinking!

posted on Mar, 20 2005 @ 09:35 PM
link   
Best idea I have seen on here for a long long time.

If I had some wank awards for the month left, I would give you one.

posted on Mar, 21 2005 @ 12:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by RANT
I think it would be great though if people would start taking some initiative to use the Literature forum to do just this. (It's not like anyone else is using it.)

It just seems as if book reviews about 'Above Top Secret' material being placed in Below Top Secret seems a little...unsanctified.

In any case, I'll post a few book reviews by weeks end and maybe I could get a little feedback on what the ATS community thinks about the idea actually implemented.

posted on Mar, 21 2005 @ 01:14 PM
link   

You have voted Simulacra for the Way Above Top Secret award. You have one more vote left for this month.

Super Good Idea.

I have read a bunch of books that might be of interest to some of the people here; and I'd love to write some reviews (I have done so for Amazon and it's pretty easy).

posted on Apr, 1 2005 @ 05:13 AM
link   
Just wanted to let everyone know that I took RANTs advice and started posting my Book reviews in the Literature section of BTS in hopes that it will someday make it into ATS. This review is the first out of many so look out for more in the coming week. The link to the first Book Review thread is:

www.belowtopsecret.com...

posted on Apr, 7 2005 @ 08:20 PM
link   
Very well written. Glad to see some initiative is being taken.

That book sounds like a wild trip. I've never even heard of it, I'll check the library.

posted on Apr, 7 2005 @ 08:31 PM
link   
Excellent idea Sim....Well thought out

After reading such an impressive review, I'm not only wanting to go out and buy this book myself, but I'm also left with the desire to add a review or two myself, following your prescribed method of course....

posted on Apr, 7 2005 @ 08:48 PM
link   
I will support that, I am an avid reader and would love to shared some of my views on fiction.

posted on Apr, 8 2005 @ 04:01 AM
link   
Well thanks for the positive response everyone.

Please feel free to add a couple of book reviews of your own. I know the task of reviewing 100+ pages seems a little daunting, but once you get through your first intro paragraph, things just start to flow from there and keep in mind that the review needs only be 500-1000 words, most well thought out post on ATS exceed those numbers.

I'm aiming to posting one new book review every week so hopefully I'll post another this weekend. If we can get a good enough turnout, then Book Reviews may be interwoven within ATS.

posted on Apr, 9 2005 @ 10:34 PM
link   
I like that idea. I have a couple that I'd like to review right now.

posted on Apr, 9 2005 @ 11:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by Simulacra
Well thanks for the positive response everyone.

It's just smart posting. It's perfect.

I'm aiming to posting one new book review every week so hopefully I'll post another this weekend. If we can get a good enough turnout, then Book Reviews may be interwoven within ATS.

So far, we've got a few in this thread indicating they're reading something or thinking of reviewing a favorite book.

Keep us updated.

And wouldn't this be a cooler signature on ATS than Now Playing: Rock Me Amadeus by Falco...

Signature:
-->Last Read: What's the Matter with Kansas? by Thomas Frank
-->Now Reading: Trialogues at the Edge of the West: Chaos, Creativity, and the Resacralization of the World with Terence McKenna

[edit on 9-4-2005 by RANT]

posted on Apr, 10 2005 @ 03:31 AM
link   
Im for it , I love reading books and chatting about them but here is an inherant problem there are not many who would participate other than the intillectuals would there be enough intrest from the board membership to justify the extra work?

But Im all for participating so I think its a good idea

posted on Apr, 11 2005 @ 08:56 AM
link   
Just wanted to let you guys know that there is a new book review up on Michael Talbots The Holographic Universe. Here is a link to the review:
www.belowtopsecret.com...

posted on Apr, 11 2005 @ 08:58 AM
link   
Thanks much Sim...will look it over right now....hey anyone here anything new on TITOR lately...

posted on Apr, 11 2005 @ 09:15 AM
link   
I'm looking forward to reading some more book reviews.

Anyone take requests? I picked up an Ingo Swann book called Starfire at the thrift store that I haven't read yet.

posted on Apr, 11 2005 @ 10:35 AM
link   
agreeed.. excellent idea. support granted. forever now ive been telling myself to write down the name of "that book" as I am delving into a completely different source and topic. it seems ATS should have ample readers and reviewers covering nearly everything. this way i would have a list at my fingertips. anyways, before anybody else does:

William Cooper, Behold a Pale Horse. * * * * *

the book that started it all (for me).

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join