It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Ted Cruz Reintroduces A Constitutional Amendment To Impose #TermLimits on Members of Congress

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 26 2021 @ 07:23 AM
link   
Not only will this not pass but they'll vote themselves a raise at the same time.

posted on Jan, 26 2021 @ 07:23 AM
link   

originally posted by: notquiteright
I'm liking Cruz more everyday. This absolutely needs to be done.
He’s clearly trying to aim for another go at the presidency. I don’t buy it, he knows this is dead in the water. I’m one who likes what gets done, not whats said. Pretty words that say what I want them to have no value to me. That’s why I stopped supporting the dems!
edit on 26-1-2021 by Rob808 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 26 2021 @ 07:30 AM
link   
Hummmmmmmmmm, wonder how much air time this idea gets on MSM.......

Why focus attention on common-sense governmental reform when we can get 2-3 "news" stories about impeaching Trump post facto, withdrawing his invitation to Davos, removing his name off of buildings, etc etc.

Cognitive Dissonance ~~> maintaining the consistently worst rated/regarded job performance among public sentiment each year, perhaps in the entirety of recorded human history of legislative bodies, and then acting genuinely baffled and outraged when angry people are quite literally breaking their doors down.

These swamp creatures ensconce themselves in Washington for lifetime "terms", and obstinately refuse to consider that maybe that's not the best thing for the United States.

The tragic part of it all is us, WE, are their enablers; we continue to vote the same retreads into office.

posted on Jan, 26 2021 @ 07:50 AM
link   
a reply to: infolurker

This will go nowhere. It desperately needs to be done.

But these past few months/year we have seen the power of the swamp. Our lives have been mired in enforced isolation and separation. Rioting and looting called peaceful protests. An election mired in uncertainty. The 80 year old elite Politicians (plural) in charge refusing to see how their age has affected their judgement. A swamp so filled with aging and self serving dinosaurs that have the mainstream media by the ....

They will never let their claws off the gigs that turned them from upper middle class into multi-millionaires on an upper middle class salary. The money they end up with before their second term is over turns them into swamp rats who never want to leave and only want more money, more power, more control.

The swamp rats in Congress and the Senate will be like real rats and we will never see the swamp cleared of 70-80 year old rats who cling to power and love to exercise it for personal revenge or personal motives. As we have seen these past years.

The nation is screwed and forever bound to power hungry, self serving, mental acuity declining, overly entitled feeble dinosaurs in Congress and the Senate.

edit on 1/26/21 by The2Billies because: addition

posted on Jan, 26 2021 @ 08:10 AM
link   

Though I think the American people should nip their terms a lot sooner at the ballot box, if they are not doing the job they were sent to do.

This. Problem is, you have dimwits who think people like Biden, Shumer, Pelosi et al ARE doing a good job and keep voting for them.

Longest Terms in Congress

Hmmmm. Noticing a pattern here.....

posted on Jan, 26 2021 @ 08:14 AM
link   

originally posted by: infolurker
I think all sides can agree on this one (maybe). Of course I assume this will go nowhere as I doubt members from either party will vote to limit their ability to receive lobbyist money and campaign contributions to only a few years.

Anyone not agree with this and why?

I disagree with it, because it is the lazy way out. But, I do agree the fix needs to be done as a Constitutional Amendment...

No, what needs to happen is an amendment to provide for local control of all elected Reps and Senators.

Off the top of my head, something like...

1. Their pay should be determined and provided for directly by their constituents (yes this would require some kind of local committee), not the government.

2. Said committee should have the authority to initiate recall petitions for any/all elected officials (local, State and Federal), at any time, and any petition that gains signatures of at least 25% of the constituency are immediately placed on a special ballot to be voted on within 30 days of the date that the signature threshhold is achieved.

3. The tax returns and all financial dealings of any elected official (local, State and Federal) should be an open book for one year prior to achieving and one year after holding any elected office - literally, on a website where all of their financial activity is tracked. The law should also make it a major felony for anyone to attempt to hide any financial interests through any family members, shell corps, etc etc.

posted on Jan, 26 2021 @ 08:48 AM
link   
After reading a couple pages of this thread I sent a message to Ted through his website. I was going to use an alias and fake info, but the form wanted an address and all that, so I went legit with the information. Added my District number in the message part even.

I voiced my support and said I thought it was a good idea, but IMO the terms could be half that. I told him I wanted to vote for him in 2016, but he dropped out of the race and asked if he would run in the next one.

I requested a reply, but wrote they could just send a form email and simply acknowledge my message.

I've just signed up for the Trump supporter Black List didn't I?

I'm a registered Republican and did vote Trump both times, so they got that on me already I suppose.
edit on 26-1-2021 by MichiganSwampBuck because: Added extra comments

posted on Jan, 26 2021 @ 09:55 AM
link   
"DOA".

posted on Jan, 26 2021 @ 11:13 AM
link   
I went and tried to stick up for cruz against the recent verbal assault by hollywood mogul and brilliantly talented actor seth rogan. They limited my new account already. how can he get away with badmouthing someone but not me?

I am glad I can say I have never bought into the media suggesting movies he made being worthwhile, never seeing any of his or people he associates with movies. Unlike Cruz who claimed to like his work.
edit on 26-1-2021 by Mailman because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 26 2021 @ 01:52 PM
link   

Its never going to happen, but I thoroughly agree with it.

posted on Jan, 28 2021 @ 01:59 AM
link   

originally posted by: infolurker

Today my colleagues and I reintroduced a constitutional amendment to impose #TermLimits on Members of Congress. The amendment would limit U.S. senators to two six-year terms and members of the U.S. House of Representatives to three two-year terms.

Wow, they're asking this of people who vote themselves a raise every single year?

I'd bet good money it won't go anywhere.

posted on Jan, 29 2021 @ 04:46 AM
link   

originally posted by: TonyS

That’s why he felt comfortable proposing it.

posted on Jan, 29 2021 @ 10:44 AM
link   

originally posted by: Rob808

originally posted by: TonyS

That’s why he felt comfortable proposing it.

Garners support for him while not damaging his power. As has been said, half of this is just acting and charades.

Term limits are a must...

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join