It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Ted Cruz Reintroduces A Constitutional Amendment To Impose #TermLimits on Members of Congress

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 25 2021 @ 10:12 PM
link   
I'm liking Cruz more everyday. This absolutely needs to be done.

posted on Jan, 25 2021 @ 10:12 PM
link   
I think that they should have an eight to twelve year limit on all of the congressmen and congresswomen.

posted on Jan, 25 2021 @ 10:28 PM
link   
Good for Cruz.

Only an absolute moron would oppose this.

posted on Jan, 25 2021 @ 10:43 PM
link   
a reply to: VictorVonDoom

I have been a big supporter of the convention of states until I listened to the John Birch society speak in Montana last week against it because of several countries who went that route and ended up communist with Venzuela being one.

Apparently congress has to vote on it and with our current congress I cannot see them letting this go through without major concessions from constitutionalists that would ultimately favor the dems agenda.

With a major repubican congress yes but at the moment no.

We have 15 states signed on. Need 34 to call a convention and 38 to vote for change.

posted on Jan, 25 2021 @ 10:49 PM
link   

originally posted by: infolurker
I think all sides can agree on this one (maybe). Of course I assume this will go nowhere as I doubt members from either party will vote to limit their ability to receive lobbyist money and campaign contributions to only a few years.

Anyone not agree with this and why?

twitter.com...

Today my colleagues and I reintroduced a constitutional amendment to impose #TermLimits on Members of Congress. The amendment would limit U.S. senators to two six-year terms and members of the U.S. House of Representatives to three two-year terms.

Two six year terms are way too many. Two four year terms max, across the board.

Though I think the American people should nip their terms a lot sooner at the ballot box, if they are not doing the job they were sent to do.

posted on Jan, 25 2021 @ 10:59 PM
link   
In Congress, that's 164 members over 12 years and 51 Senators, yea Id say that is time for an overhaul one of those other things the founding fathers never intended "career politicians". Also one vote that will be done quietly and quickly and will never pass.

posted on Jan, 25 2021 @ 11:18 PM
link   
a reply to: NightSkyeB4Dawn

Passing term limits are one thing but changing the terms are an entirely other thing.

The terms are 6 years for the senate and 2 years for congress. There is no way in hell changing them would pass.

Placing limits is a long shot as it is, but it will stir up a lot of sh!t. Whoever votes against it will be vilified and rightfully so.

posted on Jan, 25 2021 @ 11:24 PM
link   
The only term limits the US is ever going to have is the one we have now and that's mortality. Once they get in office they're there till they die of old age. Term limits is a great idea but its never going to happen, just to much money to be made being politics for a life time.

posted on Jan, 25 2021 @ 11:28 PM
link   

originally posted by: Grimpachi
I doubt he is doing this for altruistic reasons. He is being targeted by the Lincoln project.

Regardless of why he is doing it, I applaud the slimeball.

Hes been pushing for this since before he even ran for president........youre late to the party

its cute that you call people a slime ball who have a voting record of standing up for the constitution and consistently goes against his own party in favor of the former.......

You have a weird barometer of whats slime and whats not.....

posted on Jan, 25 2021 @ 11:35 PM
link   

originally posted by: SKEPTEK
Good for Cruz.

Only an absolute moron would oppose this.

Unfortunately those morons now hold a majority in both chambers.

posted on Jan, 25 2021 @ 11:53 PM
link   
a reply to: infolurker

2 4 year term limits for all staggard, even SCOTUS.

and i say this every time this subject is brought up. evaluations of every one of the alphabet agencies heads and deputies down to lowly supervisor every year.

would be best if it could be done independently, with 1 citizen from every state, granted security clearances and compensated for the time needed to do it.

these bureaucrat bastards have more power and influence than most people think.

ETA: another thing, every one elected should not only have background checks, they should be able to show a working knowledge of the job. SCOTUS shouldn't be a problem but some of the others makes you wonder how the hell they got there other than pandering to special interest groups.

edit on 26-1-2021 by hounddoghowlie because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 25 2021 @ 11:54 PM
link   
a reply to: ManBehindTheMask

I call him a slimeball because he had his head so far up Trump's arse he could see Lindsey Grahm.

I call him a slimeball because he has been in office since 2013 and now he decides to push a bill. 7 eff'ing years.

I call him a slimeball because he opposed opposes paid family leave, net neutrality, and marriage equality.

So yeah, he is a slimeball, but like I said if the little slimeball goes through with term limits I will applaud him.

posted on Jan, 26 2021 @ 12:07 AM
link   
a reply to: Grimpachi

So yeah, he is a slimeball, but like I said if the little slimeball goes through with term limits I will applaud him.

While he's going for a Constitutional amendment, why not do away with the electoral college too? It stands about the same chance of going through.

posted on Jan, 26 2021 @ 12:13 AM
link   
a reply to: Phage

I support the electoral college. What I don't support is winner take all in states.

posted on Jan, 26 2021 @ 12:17 AM
link   

Me too. But that wasn't really the point.

Constitutional amendments are hard.

edit on 1/26/2021 by Phage because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 26 2021 @ 12:25 AM
link   

Yeah, it is a longshot, but if people keep shooting someone will eventually hit.

Send it to a vote and take the names of those who vote against it. Hammer their voting record the next election. Rinse and repeat.

posted on Jan, 26 2021 @ 12:34 AM
link   

State legislatures have to ratify (38 of them), even if it does get through Congress.
Cruz is stunting.

edit on 1/26/2021 by Phage because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 26 2021 @ 01:12 AM
link   

Of course, he is. With Lincoln project targeting him with this, he can deflect and claim TPTB or whatever are after him because he is shaking up the system.

It is honestly a pretty good ploy, but I like it. I don't like him, but this kind of thing can gain steam and grow beyond his needs into something. At least it is positive political theater.

posted on Jan, 26 2021 @ 05:04 AM
link   

originally posted by: Phage

Me too. But that wasn't really the point.

Constitutional amendments are hard.

Yea, so don’t try.

posted on Jan, 26 2021 @ 07:19 AM
link   
a reply to: infolurker

You can thank the SCOTUS per their gangland style shooting down 23 states trying to impose term limits on members of the ultra exclusive club in D.C. that the common man can never be part of unless they sell their soul.

The Court decided, in a 5-4 split decision, that citizens are not allowed to term limit their own members of Congress using state laws. They threw out 23 states’ term limits laws in one day. Justice Scalia disagreed, ruling for term limits as part of the dissenting minority.

U.S. Term Limits v. Thornton

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join