It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

DBCowboy Gave Me Crabs...

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+32 more 
posted on Jan, 24 2021 @ 04:02 PM
link   

...and they were delicious!

That's right, my pal from the Pacific Northwest sent me a bag of tasty Dungeness Crab Claws for the holidays and they were succulent and flavorful.

What do you do when your pal gives you crabs? You give them to other people! I gave my wife crabs. My friend crabs. My other friend got them. His wife got the crabs too. Even their daughters got crabs, one of them even asked for seconds. It was spectacular, I've never given so many people so many crabs at once.

How did I give it to them? In a Cioppino of course. I mixed DB's crabs with some scallops, mussels, shrimp and clams. Grilled up some fresh sourdough bread and then popped a nice Dolcetto d'Alba to wash down the crab infestation that we all had in our bowls.
    Cioppino. Serves 8.

3/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
    12 tbsp. butter
    2 cloves garlic, peeled and finely chopped
    1 medium yellow onion, peeled and chopped
    2 medium carrots, peeled, trimmed, and chopped
    2 ribs celery, chopped
    2 leek, white part only, trimmed, cleaned, and chopped
    1/2 small fennel bulb, trimmed and chopped
    2 tbsp. tomato paste
    4 bay leaves
    1 tsp. oregano
    1 tsp. thyme
    1 tsp. basil
    1 tsp. red pepper
    2 (28-oz.) cans crushed Italian tomatoes
    16 sea scallops
    16 large shrimp, peeled and deveined
    1 bag of DB's Dungeness Crab Claws
    1 cup flour
    2 cups dry white wine
    16 littleneck clams, scrubbed
    1/2 bunch parsley, chopped

Heat the 1/2 cup the oil and 8 tbsp. butter in a large pot over medium heat. Add onions and cook, stirring often, for about 2 minutes. Add carrots, celery, garlic, leeks, red pepper and fennel. Cook, stirring often, for about 5 minutes. Add crushed tomatoes, tomato paste, 4 cups water, bay leaves, oregano, thyme, basil and season to taste with salt and pepper. Bring to a boil, reduce heat to low, and simmer, stirring occasionally, for 2 hours.

Heat remaining oil and butter in a heavy skillet over high heat. Dredge scallops and shrimp in flour, shaking off excess, and fry, turning once, until golden, 1-2 minutes. Transfer seafood with a slotted spoon to pot with sauce, and add DB's Dungeness Crab Claws, cover, and simmer for 10-15 minutes.

Add wine to same skillet over high heat, scraping browned bits stuck to bottom of skillet. Add clams, cover, and cook until shells open, about 5 minutes. (Discard any clams that don't open.) Add clams and broth to pot; adjust seasonings. Ladle soup into large bowls, garnish with parsley, and serve with grilled sourdough bread.

Share your crabs with others.

+2 more 
posted on Jan, 24 2021 @ 04:08 PM
link   
OK.. you got my attention (and probably all of staff with that title).

So tell me, how does one ship such a treat, were they frozen shipped, or doyou two live closew enough to drive and drop off?

Johnny

edit on 1/24/2021 by JohnnyAnonymous because: added query to the menu

posted on Jan, 24 2021 @ 04:08 PM
link   
a reply to: AugustusMasonicus
Damn son! I have access to the same crabs as DB (Scary) But your treatment and presentation, perfection!

posted on Jan, 24 2021 @ 04:13 PM
link   

Looks amazing, I've never had crabs (lol) one of those things I've always wanted to try but never really got around to it.

posted on Jan, 24 2021 @ 04:19 PM
link   

originally posted by: JohnnyAnonymous
So tell me, how does one ship such a treat, were they frozen shipped, or doyou two live closew enough to drive and drop off?

I live in New Jersey, Johnny, not driving distance for DB, and even if I were I wouldn't let that lunatic in my house.

They came packed frozen so right into the freezer they went until they got given to everyone this Saturday.

edit on 24-1-2021 by AugustusMasonicus because: Networkdude has no beer

posted on Jan, 24 2021 @ 04:20 PM
link   

originally posted by: BlueJacket
Damn son! I have access to the same crabs as DB (Scary) But your treatment and presentation, perfection!

Now that I've gotten DB's crabs I'm open to getting more crabs from other people so feel free to share your crabs with me.

I might even make something different and share the recipe.

posted on Jan, 24 2021 @ 04:21 PM
link   

originally posted by: valiant
Looks amazing, I've never had crabs (lol) one of those things I've always wanted to try but never really got around to it.

Don't be frightened, you'll enjoy them, just like all of us did!

posted on Jan, 24 2021 @ 04:24 PM
link   
Lacky Bustard!

posted on Jan, 24 2021 @ 04:32 PM
link   

Did you quarantine them first ???

...should have.

posted on Jan, 24 2021 @ 04:33 PM
link   

originally posted by: NightFlight
Did you quarantine them first ???

...should have.

He gave me crabs, not ebola.

posted on Jan, 24 2021 @ 04:34 PM
link   

originally posted by: JohnnyAnonymous
OK.. you got my attention (and probably all of staff with that title).

Johnny

Those are expensive. Augustus must know something we don't about DB or got a video of him doing something. DB sent it as a show of appreciation for his discretion.

It's an Italian thing.

posted on Jan, 24 2021 @ 04:35 PM
link   

S&F for the title - epic.

Applause for that dish & recipe, Ima try that this weekend with some mud crabs.

posted on Jan, 24 2021 @ 04:39 PM
link   

originally posted by: AugustusMasonicus

Now that I've gotten DB's crabs I'm open to getting more crabs from other people so feel free to share your crabs with me.

My wife and I also found a fantastic wild harvest spot for California bay laurel, have you tried it? Might go brilliantly with your crabs. (they take a very light hand to season with, easily 4x stronger than a traditional Bay leaf and vastly more aromatic)

posted on Jan, 24 2021 @ 04:46 PM
link   

originally posted by: IAMTAT
Lacky Bustard!

He sent you that thing in the bag, right? You know, from that guy who had that 'accident'?

posted on Jan, 24 2021 @ 04:47 PM
link   
Yummy !!! Yummy ! Yummy !.... I am originallay from New Hampshire and grew up eating a lot of mussels , clams , and Maine lobster .... I now live in the Florida keys and and the seafood is a lot different ... pink shrimp ( what the flamingos eat and makes them pink )...Florida spinny lobster ( no claws ),.... and stone crab claws .... we have 10 stone crab traps during season ( mid october to May).... Stone crab claws are my new favorite seafood !!!! If you haven’t had them , I suggest you try them sometime . We harvested some big claws a few days ago , and if I can figure out how to up load a pic , I will up load one .... the beauty of stone crabs, is that their claws grow back ....
edit on 24-1-2021 by Meldionne1 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 24 2021 @ 04:48 PM
link   

originally posted by: IAMTAT
Lacky Bustard!

He sent you that thing in the bag, right? You know, from that guy who had that 'accident'?

Served with a side of Fava Beans and a nice Chianti...yes.

posted on Jan, 24 2021 @ 04:48 PM
link   

My wife and I also found a fantastic wild harvest spot for California bay laurel, have you tried it? Might go brilliantly with your crabs. (they take a very light hand to season with, easily 4x stronger than a traditional Bay leaf and vastly more aromatic)

He can't. He's in Jersey, like me. Try to follow the thread.

posted on Jan, 24 2021 @ 04:55 PM
link   

originally posted by: Sublimecraft

S&F for the title - epic.

Applause for that dish & recipe, Ima try that this weekend with some mud crabs.

Thanks, bro, let me know how it turns out.

posted on Jan, 24 2021 @ 04:55 PM
link   

I've had those, I really enjoy them.

posted on Jan, 24 2021 @ 05:05 PM
link   

You might don your diving gear and fetch us some of those NJ lobsters for trade. I'll send you fresh Rocky Mountain oysters. You can explain to your lady friends what they consumed after they've washed it down with a bottle of your finest red.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join