It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

$15 minimum wage

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 23 2021 @ 06:57 PM
link   
President Joe Biden has just signed an EO
For Federal Agencies to raise the minimum wage to
$15.

However I just read some information that explains
How in the REAL WORLD of Business that we all live in that the first demographic to get hit the hardest if the whole country went to a Federally mandated minimum wage is
16-19 year old African American teenagers.

This is due to
The fact that businesses will lay off their lowest skilled employees first to compensate for the best skilled employees. I don’t want anyone to think I am racist in the thread. In the contrary I think this puts more at risk black youth in a position to join a gang to sell drugs because there no jobs at all in their hometowns. I mean can you blame them?

From the governments own projections courtesy of
The CBO:
“ According to a recent nonpartisan analysis by the Congressional Budget Office, President Biden's effort to raise the federal minimum wage from $7.25 to $15 per hour is estimated to kill as many as 3.7 million jobs, “

Link:
www.cbo.gov...

edit on 23-1-2021 by Brassmonkey because: Granmar

posted on Jan, 23 2021 @ 07:00 PM
link   

originally posted by: Brassmonkey
President Joe Biden has just signed an EO
For Federal Agencies to raise the minimum wage to
$15.

However I just read some information that explains
How in the REAL WORLD of Business that we all live in that the first demographic to get hit the hardest if the whole country went to a Federally mandated minimum wage is
16-19 year old African American teenagers. This is due to
The fact that businesses will lay off their lowest skilled employees first to compensate for the best skilled employees. I don’t want anyone to think I am racist in the thread. In the contrary I think this puts more at risk black youth in a position to join a gang to sell drugs because there no jobs at all in their hometowns. I mean can you blame them?

From the governments own projections courtesy of
The CBO:
“ According to a recent nonpartisan analysis by the Congressional Budget Office, President Biden's effort to raise the federal minimum wage from $7.25 to $15 per hour is estimated to kill as many as 3.7 million jobs, “

Link:
www.cbo.gov...

posted on Jan, 23 2021 @ 07:09 PM
link   

originally posted by: Brassmonkey
President Joe Biden has just signed an EO For Federal Agencies to raise the minimum wage to $15.

Almost no Federal Job pays less than $15/hour. That's like GS-4 step 5. And ... I'm wondering if that $15 must also account for COLA (which is 15% tacked on to the base wage).

Joe Biden didn't do jack squat with that EO.

ETA: Even the extreme bottom of the barrel Federal Pay ... Soldier's Pay ... is pretty fair these days. I remember getting paid an even $500/mo ... and the First Sergeant taking a $50 cut for the Unit's Morale and Welfare fund. LMAO ... those were the good 'ol days, boys!!

E-1 Basic Pay with less than 2 years service earns a few dollars less than 20,800. This number is only important where a retirement calculation is used. The total estimated compensation comes to $38,636.10 per year ... or a little over $18/hr ... granting they are definitely putting in more than a 40 hr work week.

edit on 2312021 by Snarl because: ETA

+2 more 
posted on Jan, 23 2021 @ 07:10 PM
link   
a reply to: Brassmonkey

Biden is a racist who wants high unemployment.

*shrugs*

We've been saying it forever.

posted on Jan, 23 2021 @ 07:10 PM
link   
I'm pretty sure they are very few Federal workers making under $15 per hour. Now, if they try to do this with the private sector, it will have dire results for the economy. But this EO at the Federal level probably affects very few workers. Hell, even janitorial federal workers make close to $15 per hour.

www.bls.gov...

www.indeed.com...
"How much does a Janitor make at Federal Building Services in the United States?
Average Federal Building Services Janitor hourly pay in the United States is approximately $11.28, which meets the national average."

posted on Jan, 23 2021 @ 07:11 PM
link   

Don't worry about those 3.7 million lobs.

Biden's target is ALL jobs that are run by small businesses.

Which is roughly 70% of everyone that is employed in America.

Don't worry though!!!!

As soon as EVERYONE is either employed by the Federal government or WalMart, then things will be OK again.

Economics 42D chess!!!

posted on Jan, 23 2021 @ 07:14 PM
link   
I'm not sure what is really written so I'll ask this then.

Is this for government employees ? If so, are post office people government employees ?

The outcome of this is less people in government will qualify for food stamps. Sounds like a win win situation and a well thought out plan.

I'm going to have to continue with my " chinese spider web trap " . maybe some of you can keep tabs and see if in fact all what I've been saying is actually true. It does happen and I'll be more then happy to do a thread on it.

basically it keeps the ordinary citizen at the right amount ( dollar , yen , pound ) just above the poverty level and keeps everyone in the poor house. only a selected few that are in the "Club " will be allowed to prosper financially in certain industries such as shipping and a few others.

anyway, the landlords of HUD properties are going to get a nice rebate now with that EO

yet the new whatever you want to call'em is doing a fine job of keeping those in control that fall into the chinese spider web trap and that equals the " open door prison " society to totalitarian type of government

it's on your front door steps now Americans ( too late to wake up now )

posted on Jan, 23 2021 @ 07:18 PM
link   

originally posted by: panoz77
Now, if they try to do this with the private sector, it will have dire results for the economy. But this EO at the Federal level probably affects very few workers.

I just figured out how funny this is gonna be. People are gonna be waiting for a $15/hr job as long as the other group who's waiting for their $2,000 stimulus cheque (that spelling was for somebody).

Libs are damned gullible folks. I ought'a get into the False Hope/Promise Making Business too. It's BOOMING!!

ETA: Here are the tables.

edit on 2312021 by Snarl because: Tables

posted on Jan, 23 2021 @ 07:18 PM
link   
It should've happened about 15 years ago.

posted on Jan, 23 2021 @ 07:21 PM
link   

originally posted by: LordAhriman
It should've happened about 15 years ago.

LOL.

15 years ago bread should have cost $14 a loaf, a dozen eggs should have been $10, a can of tuna should have been 5$.

We really need to make our money worth nothing!

Happily, Biden is here now to make that a reality.

posted on Jan, 23 2021 @ 07:29 PM
link   
There are government jobs that are not GS, the WG jobs can start pretty low, a WG10 in Oklahoma started at 20 an hour.

That said 15 an hour minimum wage nation wide is a terrible idea.

posted on Jan, 23 2021 @ 07:34 PM
link   

Vote for a dude because he promised $15 minimum wage, dude gives federal employees $15 minimum wage. Maximum troll. I gotta say, for everyone that complained about trump and his troll tweets, biden sure knows how to actually troll his voting base.

Minimum wage should be based on cost of living where the job is located. Minimum wage should reasonably be able to pay for a roof over someone's head, food and bills and enough so their lives are at least above slavery.

This does heavily depend on location though.

I'm sorry, but anyone arguing against paying their employees at least that much needs to reevevaluate their business and should admit they just want slaves.

posted on Jan, 23 2021 @ 07:35 PM
link   
When that little tip box comes up on the credit card machine...my answer will be..."skip"!!

Just sayin'.

posted on Jan, 23 2021 @ 07:39 PM
link   
a reply to: dug88

Know what a WG-5 was doing at Tinker?

Washing an Air plane, thats it if they stuck with it and worked hard within 6-12 months they would be promoted and moved to something actually useful.

Most didnt but thats besides the point they had an out with patience and hard work, once out of probation you can bounce around chasing promotions very easily and quickly make some seriously good money for the area.

posted on Jan, 23 2021 @ 07:40 PM
link   

Minimum wage should be based on cost of living where the job is located.

That's why it's determined by the state and local governments, other than for federal jobs that is.

I get the idea of a "living wage" but I have a problem with a kid getting paid that much on his first job. $15 ain't hardly a "living wage" here. $10.10 is the minimum.
livingwage.mit.edu...

Federal minimum is $7.75. It should probably be higher.
edit on 1/23/2021 by Phage because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 23 2021 @ 07:54 PM
link   
My 1st job was delivering newspapers when I was 13. I made enough for cigarette money.

Man, If I made the equivalent then to 15 hr I would have been neck deep in 40oz's and elicit substances too.

*Note: I realize newspapers are not federal employment, but it's only a matter of time before Walmart greeters are mandated that much.

posted on Jan, 23 2021 @ 08:10 PM
link   
a reply to: Phage

Agreed a kid being paid $15 for an after school job may be a bit excessive. But, one should maybe ask, what's gone so wrong that the only jobs available for so many adults not able to get into one of the few remaining trades or spend ridiculous amounts of money on a degree that the issue of minimum wage has become such a big deal?

That seems to be the underlying issue and things like federal minimum wage seem like a bandaid. Why is the job market in such a way that adults are increasingly being stuck in low paying service jobs to the point where federal minimum wage is an issue that helped sway an election?

That's not the signs of a healthy economy and this is something that's been going on 10 years or more.

posted on Jan, 23 2021 @ 08:15 PM
link   

No no no. You aren't playing the game right. When things go well you can say it is because of jo jo the idiot boy. When things go bad you are supposed to say its because jo jo the idiot boy inherited the mess from Trump. You cant just come right out and say jo jo the idiot boys actions will cost people their jobs. Even if its true, you cant say that.

What were you thinking?

posted on Jan, 23 2021 @ 08:29 PM
link   

Why is the job market in such a way that adults are increasingly being stuck in low paying service jobs to the point where federal minimum wage is an issue that helped sway an election?

At the moment, jobs are a seller's market. But even when things were booming and employers were searching for employees, real wages didn't seem to change much in a lot of places.

edit on 1/23/2021 by Phage because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 23 2021 @ 08:37 PM
link   
a reply to: Phage

Which means they haven't increased along with inflation meaning buying power at any given wage has decreased meaning anyone who's wage has remained stagnant for a few years has effectively received a pay cut.
edit on 23/1/2021 by dug88 because: (no reason given)

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join