It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Long Time Home Run King Hank Aaron Dead At 86

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 22 2021 @ 12:57 PM
link   
What a loss! RIP Hammerin' Hank.

Henry Louis "Hank" Aaron, the Hall of Fame slugger whose 755 career home runs long stood as baseball's golden mark, has died. He was 86.

"Our family is heartbroken to hear the news of Hank Aaron's passing," Georgia Gov. Brian Kemp said in a statement on behalf of the Aaron family. "Hank Aaron was an American icon and one of Georgia's greatest legends. His life and career made history, and his influence was felt not only in the world of sports, but far beyond -- through his important work to advance civil rights and create a more equal, just society. We ask all Georgians to join us in praying for his fans, family, and loved ones as we remember Hammerin' Hank's incredible legacy."

The Atlanta Braves said in a release that Aaron died peacefully in his sleep.

Read more here - www.espn.com...

He was a two-time National League batting champion and had a career batting average of .305. He was the league’s most valuable player in 1957, when the Milwaukee Braves won their only World Series championship. He was voted an All-Star in all but his first and last seasons, and he won three Gold Glove awards for his play in right field.

Aaron combined with the Hall of Fame third baseman Eddie Mathews for 863 home runs during their 13 years together on the Braves, the most ever for two teammates.

Aaron remains No. 1 in the major leagues in total bases (6,856) and runs batted in (2,297); No. 2 in at-bats (12,364), behind Pete Rose; and No. 3 in hits (3,771), behind Rose and Cobb. He won the National League’s single-season home run title four times, though his highest total was only 47, in 1971. Matching his jersey number, he hit exactly 44 home runs in four different seasons.

Amazing stats in a time with no steroids. Nothing but sheer talent.

www.nytimes.com...

posted on Jan, 22 2021 @ 01:06 PM
link   
RIP you legend!

posted on Jan, 22 2021 @ 01:12 PM
link   
Quite the legend.

On a more CT perspective, I'm sure the fact he just took the Moderna vaccine will unsettle some. His first dose was Jan 5th. It's unclear if he took the second dose.

Isn't it odd I can't find a single article that indicates the cause of death...not even the ubiquitous "by natural causes" phrase?

posted on Jan, 22 2021 @ 01:19 PM
link   

originally posted by: loam
Quite the legend.

On a more CT perspective, I'm sure the fact he just took the Moderna vaccine will unsettle some. His first dose was Jan 5th. It's unclear if he took the second dose.

Isn't it odd I can't find a single article that indicates the cause of death...not even the ubiquitous "by natural causes" phrase?

I did not know he had taken the vaccine. I think other places have had issues with older folks and the vaccine as well now that you mention it.

One of the articles I posted said he passed peacefully in his sleep but did not specifically say natural causes?? I suppose one can be sick and still die peacefully in their sleep. Technically. Hopefully that wasn't it and he went peacefully through natural causes.

posted on Jan, 22 2021 @ 01:24 PM
link   
Legend. I have an autographed ball. My mother knew him.

posted on Jan, 22 2021 @ 01:38 PM
link   
a reply to: Kangaruex4Ewe

Another childhood hero passes...

Nothing more American than baseball! And nothing more memorable than Aaron beating the one, the original American legend, Babe Ruth’s, home run record!! As a Brave no less!!

Here’s to Hammerin’ Hank!!

Thanks for standing your ground at the plate! What was achieved put all the haters to shame!

RIP

posted on Jan, 22 2021 @ 02:02 PM
link   
Hank Aaron hits his 714th home run, tying Babe Ruth for the home-run record

4/4/74: On Opening Day, Hank Aaron hits his 714th Major League home run, tying Babe Ruth for most home runs in Major League history

Vin Scully calls Hank Aaron's historic 715th home run

4/8/74: Vin Scully calls Hank Aaron's milestone home run as he passes Babe Ruth for the most career home runs when he slugs his 715th homer

posted on Jan, 22 2021 @ 02:04 PM
link   
Damn, thought that dude died in the nineties! Sandy Koufax will be next

posted on Jan, 22 2021 @ 03:10 PM
link   
a reply to: loam
I saw a vid replay of a very public inoculation by the great one, and he was quite sincere in his hope that by showing that he got the shot, other blacks would as well.

posted on Jan, 22 2021 @ 03:26 PM
link   
R.I.P. Mr. Aaron!!

posted on Jan, 22 2021 @ 03:36 PM
link   

originally posted by: Zrtst
a reply to: loam
I saw a vid replay of a very public inoculation by the great one, and he was quite sincere in his hope that by showing that he got the shot, other blacks would as well.

I loved watching those early 70's Braves teams...

Aaron was awesome he was so humble, he had death threats the whole year before if not longer. It wasn't publicized much but it was definitely there, it wasn't the joyous occasion it was later for the drugged-out potato head Bonds. Like a lot of stars they didn't make as much money as they do today, but Aaron was a successful businessman even after his career.

RIP Hank "The Hammer" Aaron

edit on 22-1-2021 by putnam6 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 22 2021 @ 07:47 PM
link   
RIP HANK

posted on Jan, 22 2021 @ 08:43 PM
link   
And , on the 715th , they returned our tickets to us at Fulton County stadium as a memento .
I still have mine.
What a memory .

posted on Jan, 26 2021 @ 07:57 PM
link   

originally posted by: loam
Quite the legend.

He died of natural causes in his sleep.

Major League Baseball legend and Atlanta entrepreneur Hank Aaron’s cause of death has been revealed.

The 86-year-old Hall of Famer and longtime Atlanta Braves right fielder died of natural causes, according to an investigator in the Fulton County Medical Examiner’s Office.

I had to beg my mom to let me stay up the night he hit his 715th, I watched it on TV. I just had a feeling he would do it that night.

top topics

join