It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NEWS: 6.4 Quake Jolts Japan - Tsunami Warning Lifted

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 20 2005 @ 01:15 AM
link   
155 people were injured today when a strong earthquake measuring at a 6.4 on the Richter scale hit the northern coast of Fukuaoka in the Sea of Japan. The quake halted train service in several areas and a temporary tsunami warning was issued. The epicenter of the quake was only 915 kilometers west of Tokyo

bloomberg.com
March 20 (Bloomberg) -- An earthquake jolted southwestern Japan, halting train services and shaking buildings. At least 155 people were reported injured, according to NHK television.

The earthquake, which struck at 10:53 local time today, had a magnitude of 6.4 and was centered forty kilometers (25 miles) off the northern coast of Fukuoka prefecture in the Sea of Japan, the U.S. Geological Survey said on its Web site.

The epicenter was 915 kilometers west of Tokyo at a depth of 10 kilometers.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

At least 20 houses in the area have been destroyed. This is being recorded as the strongest earthquake in this are since 1898. Exact measurements of the quakes magnitude are unknown as some instruments measured the quake at 7.0 and some at 6.4 or 6.0.

Flights in Japan are reportedly unaffected by the earthquake and flights have resumed after inspection of the airfield.

thedevinesibyl.com
Magnitude: mb 6.0
Region: KYUSHU, JAPAN
Date Time: 2005/03/20 at 01:53:41.0 UTC
Depth: 10 km
References: 35 km SE Fukuoka ; 3 km NE Tosu ;

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

Related News Links
tod ay.reuters.com
news.yahoo.com
abcnews.com

[edit on 20-3-2005 by deeprivergal]

posted on Mar, 20 2005 @ 01:26 AM
link   
Wow!? 155 dead? I heard about this quake earlier, but at the time it wasn't like this.

Was there any kind of wave created by this?

posted on Mar, 20 2005 @ 01:30 AM
link   
155 injured, not killed...

posted on Mar, 20 2005 @ 01:38 AM
link   
It says injured

*looks away as if she didn't make a typing error*

wha?

posted on Mar, 20 2005 @ 01:40 AM
link   
My bad, must have miss read it. Any word on a tsunami? I know they cancelled the warning. Was no wave spotted?

posted on Mar, 20 2005 @ 07:00 AM
link   
It was quite a jolt.
Live Internet Seismic Server

posted on Mar, 20 2005 @ 08:43 AM
link   
It was the third of 3 "significant" quakes within 24 hours along the eastern Pacific rim. Check out

Earthquakes Worldwide in the Last 30 Days

I've been watching that site for a few months now and it is the first time I remember it having 3 six or above magnitude quakes in a row. That may not be unusual, I don't know, but that whole region seems to be a long way from settling down. Actually the whole planet really, but the bigger ones seem to mostly be there.

Main site for link above: www.iris.edu...

top topics

join