It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Designer protein helps paralyzed mice walk again in breakthrough study

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 17 2021 @ 11:24 PM
link   
Well I read this article and I must say, it sounds pretty astounding. newatlas.com/...

Apparently, these mice had (conveniently) sustained a "complete spinal cord crush".

scientists have restored the ability to walk in mice that had been paralyzed after a complete spinal cord injury. The team created a “designer” signaling protein and injected it into the animals’ brains, stimulating their nerve cells to regenerate and share the recipe to make the protein.

Even more amazing, it only takes a single injection!

Not only did motor neurons near the site of injection begin to produce hIL-6 themselves, but they passed it along through axonal side branches to other neurons responsible for actions like walking. And sure enough, within a few weeks the mice regained function in their hind legs, even after just a single injection.

The scientists themselves admitted to being surprised by the results. Next steps include seeing what happens "weeks after the injury", which seems to imply these current tests are 'fresh' injuries...

They add:

Hopefully in the long run the results may be applied to humans, but that wouldn’t be for many years yet, if ever.

Here's hoping!!!

edit on 17-1-2021 by ByteChanger because: Forgot source

edit on 17-1-2021 by ByteChanger because: grammar

edit on 17-1-2021 by ByteChanger because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 17 2021 @ 11:28 PM
link   
Where’s the link please?
EDIT: Nevermind I see it now
edit on 17-1-2021 by violet because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 17 2021 @ 11:33 PM
link   
a reply to: ByteChanger

I just thought about all those poor mice that get caught in those mouse traps....

It's like this drug is perfect for them. You could sell it to remorseful tree huggers like me....

Ahhhhh, poor mouse, this will fix you right up....

ROARRRRR... FEED ME MORE!!!! I AM INVINCIBLE, I AM...
wait for it...

MIGHTY MOUSE

posted on Jan, 18 2021 @ 12:29 AM
link   
Theres no comming back from a mouse trap

Wonder if a drug like this will work for other kinds of nerve damage

posted on Jan, 18 2021 @ 05:14 AM
link   

Hopefully in the long run the results may be applied to humans, but that wouldn’t be for many years yet, if ever.

I think by that they mean the majority of humanity, I’m sure they have already discovered the secret to prevent ageing and death. Now they have rejuvenation.
Ah to be a super villain in the modern world..

posted on Jan, 18 2021 @ 05:34 AM
link   
And that boy and girls was how Ratvid '21 started.

Actually seems scientifically pretty cool. But having been in a wheelchair for 19 years now I stopped reading about all these miracle treatments 10 years ago. So few of these things ever seem to get to treating humans, that's the big disability - the final push from science to medical.
I'm not sure why I clicked on this one, probably because I'm sick of reading the polical threads!

I'll be honest, I'm fairly jaded on this subject - so my words here are not of much importance. Bad time for my new start-up in 1/10th scale wheelchairs with a tail-hole in the seat.

Also, who is the ar$e-h0le who is busting these rats spines (by crushing ffs). Nasty job description. ugh..

(again, ignore my cranky misery-guts writings...)

posted on Jan, 18 2021 @ 08:23 AM
link   

Here is some more research into that but from a different angle.
www.ted.com...

At this rate we may see the paralyzed walking again in our life times.

The guy in the link I posted says human trials for their research has been approved.

posted on Jan, 18 2021 @ 11:05 AM
link   

I wonder if it would work on neuro-degenerative diseases, that would be great.

new topics

top topics

join