It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Backing up Win10 drives

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 16 2021 @ 04:20 AM
link   
I would like to back up two hard drives. The hard drives are installed on two separate computers.

I have a third, large portable hard drive. I want to partition it into two halves, and use the halves to back up the hard drives on the two Win10 computers.

Is this feasible, or have I missed something about partitioning and/or backing up drives?

Cheers

posted on Jan, 16 2021 @ 04:24 AM
link   
a reply to: F2d5thCavv2

Should be a tutorial online somewhere for that, make sure your partitions are large enough obviously.

posted on Jan, 16 2021 @ 04:24 AM
link   
Seems legit.
Do you know how to partition HDD's?
Have you looked into 3rd party backup software or maybe just the built-in Win10 backup functionality?
Using backup software would negate the need to partition the external.

Is it file level backups or the entire Win10 partition of both machines?

edit on 16-1-2021 by GreenGunther because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 16 2021 @ 04:29 AM
link   
a reply to: Zcustosmorum

Check, not looking for step by step, just a nod (or not) that a single drive can back up the drives of separate computers.

Cheers

posted on Jan, 16 2021 @ 04:31 AM
link   
a reply to: GreenGunther

I would like to back up the entire Win10 partition of both machines. My question, posed differently, is if I need to purchase another portable hard drive to do this, or if I can put both Win10 partitions on a single drive.

I've partitioned HDDs before but been a few years.

Cheers

posted on Jan, 16 2021 @ 04:33 AM
link   

Try that:

www.ubackup.com...

posted on Jan, 16 2021 @ 04:35 AM
link   
If you're looking to backup the partitions in their entirety I'd recommend looking at 'minitool partition wizard' or similar program. Effectively what you're looking to do is 'clone' the partition. Should be possible if both partitions fit on the external.

Or maybe just get 'veeam backup' and create images of both partitions.
edit on 16-1-2021 by GreenGunther because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 16 2021 @ 04:36 AM
link   
Thanks all. I'll check those links.

Cheers

posted on Jan, 16 2021 @ 07:19 AM
link   
I'd prefer to BASH my windows 10 setup. The old office 7 version crashed my machine and had to get new. Slow, wrong in so many ways, I sure miss the old one!!
Update
Update
Update
Whoopsie, we lost it all!!
# Bill Gates!!!

posted on Jan, 16 2021 @ 07:50 AM
link   

originally posted by: F2d5thCavv2
I would like to back up two hard drives. The hard drives are installed on two separate computers.

I have a third, large portable hard drive. I want to partition it into two halves, and use the halves to back up the hard drives on the two Win10 computers.

Is this feasible, or have I missed something about partitioning and/or backing up drives?

Cheers

NAS with SAS .
Only way to go .

NAS at Micro Center as an example
edit on 1/16/21 by Gothmog because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 16 2021 @ 09:18 AM
link   
Use this to backup Drivers.
www.majorgeeks.com...

Just clone the HDD.
That way it is a simple plug and play if you OR windows mess up.
It's saved me more times then any "Windows Recovery" and its so simple and fast if you use a ssd.

You can even clone to a usb flash drive, but it's slow for a image clone it does the job.

I myself use Acronis www.acronis.com...

posted on Jun, 15 2021 @ 05:08 AM
link   

off-topic post removed to prevent thread-drift

posted on Jun, 15 2021 @ 07:00 AM
link   
I personally don't see much of a reason to backup an entire OS like that. Especially if you have external drives for your data. You could try a Linux backup system, boot from USB and go. Just a thought. There's methods of booting windows from Linux. Or maybe just do a system backup. Do you have a physical copy of you OS?

If you have a second computer you could easily partition that by wiping the drives and starting over with something like killdisk. Then backup what you need or whatever. Hell, you could probably do it with a cheap raspberry pi with the right external drives.
edit on 15-6-2021 by sine.nomine because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

join