It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Soldiers Lodged In The Capitol In 1861

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 14 2021 @ 11:46 AM
link   
Saw this article from The Washington Post and thought it was hilarious.

Talking about how Lincoln wanted soldiers to stay at the Capitol to protect it. He decided to call upon a bunch of volunteers, who were untrained and undisciplined.

They wrecked the place. Lol.

They carved into wooden desks with their bayonets, defecated in the halls, damaged books in the Library of Congress, spread lice, hung rope swings from the dome, and held mock debates.

And yet, they still got a plaque to memorialize their stay.

www.washingtonpost.com...

Don't worry though. They were Union volunteers so it was okay.
edit on 1412021 by AutomateThis1 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 14 2021 @ 11:53 AM
link   
a reply to: AutomateThis1

Back then, DC really was that close to the Confederate border though. The Battle of Bull Run or Manassas was only 30 miles away from DC. During that first battle, fancy people in their carriages came down to picnic and watch the action like it was some re-enactment and not a real battle in a real war.

It's often a favorite scene in Civil War dramas with the fancy people trying to flee as the war gets too close because the Union forces got smashed and retreated right into them.

posted on Jan, 14 2021 @ 11:54 AM
link   

originally posted by: AutomateThis1
They carved wooden desks, defecated in the halls, damaged books in the Library of Congress, spread lice, hung rope swings from the dome, and held mock debates.

So, uh, what's the major difference between them and when Congress is in session?

posted on Jan, 14 2021 @ 12:01 PM
link   
a reply to: ketsuko

People want to repeat history, and I say let it happen.

posted on Jan, 14 2021 @ 12:02 PM
link   

No, I don't think they do, but I think they're really ignorant. For such people, there is only one way to learn -- the hard way.

posted on Jan, 14 2021 @ 12:03 PM
link   

originally posted by: AugustusMasonicus

They carved wooden desks, defecated in the halls, damaged books in the Library of Congress, spread lice, hung rope swings from the dome, and held mock debates.

So, uh, what's the major difference between them and when Congress is in session?

I like to think they carved penises. It's an age old tradition in the military.

As far as the difference goes. There's hardly a difference between then and now. It's the same #e, different century.

posted on Jan, 14 2021 @ 12:08 PM
link   

"For a good time, telegraph Wendy at .. .-.. --- ...- . .--. . . -."

posted on Jan, 14 2021 @ 12:10 PM
link   

The soldiers did it for free.

posted on Jan, 14 2021 @ 12:12 PM
link   
a reply to: AugustusMasonicus

867-5309

posted on Jan, 14 2021 @ 12:15 PM
link   
a reply to: AugustusMasonicus
We unwillingly pay one of them.

posted on Jan, 14 2021 @ 12:17 PM
link   

originally posted by: ketsuko

No, I don't think they do, but I think they're really ignorant. For such people, there is only one way to learn -- the hard way.

Doesn't really contradict what I'm saying in my opinion. People are buying into and pushing the division. That complicit behaviour is indeed asking for history to be repeated. I think it's only natural for short-sightedness to be rewarded with hard lessons. Honestly, it won't matter though, because two or three hundred years from now, people will have most likely begun to forget again and the cycle will continue.
edit on 1412021 by AutomateThis1 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 14 2021 @ 12:18 PM
link   

"For a good time, telegraph Wendy at .. .-.. --- ...- . .--. . . -."

That made me laugh more than it should have lmao.

posted on Jan, 14 2021 @ 01:01 PM
link   

Or Woodstock but without Santana and the rest.

posted on Jan, 14 2021 @ 01:02 PM
link   
Could you imagine the alcohol drought we'd be in if one of those "barbarians" decided to let out a big wet one in her chair?

posted on Jan, 14 2021 @ 01:05 PM
link   

originally posted by: Nivhk
Could you imagine the alcohol drought we'd be in if one of those "barbarians" decided to let out a big wet one in her chair?

What really chapped her hide is that they ran off with her private Franzia stock.

posted on Jan, 14 2021 @ 01:06 PM
link   

I had to look that up, that stuff is just wrong.

posted on Jan, 14 2021 @ 01:16 PM
link   

I had to look that up, that stuff is just wrong.

Granny Box Wine

posted on Jan, 14 2021 @ 01:24 PM
link   
I recall reading (I think it was in one of Bill Bryson's books, and apparently also commented on by disgusted 19th century notables such as Mark Twain and Oscar Wilde), that chewing tobacco was once so popular in the US that the steps to the Washington monuments were so covered in puddles of tobacco spit that maneuvering to the top was an acrobatic feat.

Nowadays that cannabis decriminalization is no longer a clear-cut left/right issue, I'm a bit disappointed that none of the protestors lit up a bong when they had a chance.
Perhaps that could have changed the whole atmosphere.
edit on 14-1-2021 by halfoldman because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 14 2021 @ 01:27 PM
link   
a reply to: halfoldman

"The High On The Hill"

posted on Jan, 14 2021 @ 01:38 PM
link   
a reply to: SecretKnowledge
Although I can imagine the paranoia kicking in rapidly after the first hit: "Dude, I just realized we're on Capitol Hill surrounded by cops and the international press".

"What do mean - this isn't Jennifer's 21st that went viral on Instagram"?
"Don't ask me dude, I'm from Africa".

edit on 14-1-2021 by halfoldman because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join