It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

A good set of books to read

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 19 2005 @ 06:58 PM
link   
I've been reading a lot of the posts here, and reading this has certainly gotten me interested.
So, I am asking for a couple good objective books to read about the Masons, Illuminati, Knights Templar etc. I am not looking for how they could be connected, or conspiracy theories. I just want to learn some background about each of these so I can follow the discussion here better and actually understand and formulate opinions about many of the things you talk about.
Thanks

posted on Mar, 19 2005 @ 07:11 PM
link   
History and objective don't mix well.

Maybe if you KNEW what your conclusions were going to be, it would be easier.

Since you are willing to dismiss all conspiracy fact, this seems quite apparent.

You meant a history text book that didn't accuse Masons of wrongdoing!

posted on Mar, 19 2005 @ 08:02 PM
link   
Exactly. That's like asking for an objective book on the Middle East, or North Ireland, or the Balkans...

posted on Mar, 19 2005 @ 08:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by EdamienX
I've been reading a lot of the posts here, and reading this has certainly gotten me interested.
So, I am asking for a couple good objective books to read about the Masons, Illuminati, Knights Templar etc. I am not looking for how they could be connected, or conspiracy theories. I just want to learn some background about each of these so I can follow the discussion here better and actually understand and formulate opinions about many of the things you talk about.
Thanks

Don't listen to guys like Akilles. Here's a couple of good, objective books:

The Freemasons: A History of the World's Most Powerful Secret Society by Jasper Ridley

Freemasons: A History and Exploration of the World's Oldest Secret Society by H. Paul Jeffers

Born in Blood : The Lost Secrets of Freemasonry by John J. Robinson

(Born in Blood has a lot of history, and tries to theorize on the link between Freemasonry and the Knights templar. A LOT of speculation, but has a GREAT history on the Fraternity.)

The most OBJECTIVE book I've read on the masons is:

Who's Afraid of the Freemasons? by Alexander Piatagorsky

(A little hard to read, but the author tried to be VERY objective by looking at how the fraternity looks at itself, how masons look at the fraternity, and how others look at the fraternity.)

[edit on 19-3-2005 by sebatwerk]

posted on Mar, 19 2005 @ 08:13 PM
link   
I agree with seb.

Keep on searching, you will find what you are after.

Good luck star

posted on Mar, 20 2005 @ 01:41 AM
link   
if you can lay your hands on a copy of Holy Blood Holy Grail check
the bibliography there are several good books listed on the
templars . I just cant remember the authors and titles right this minute.

posted on Mar, 20 2005 @ 02:51 AM
link   
I've made this one available on the Internet, it's caused a bit of a stir - just ignore the usual clamour and download it for printing.

www.freemasonry101.org.uk...

It was written by The Past Grand Master of Ceremonies for the Northern Jurisdiction of the USA 33rd Degree.

Contains a brief outline of the Histroy of the Rite + all sorts of other goodies.

posted on Mar, 20 2005 @ 09:18 AM
link   

Originally posted by MrNECROS
Contains a brief outline of the Histroy of the Rite + all sorts of other goodies.

Necros did it! HE DID IT!

He said something I agree with! I NEVER thought it possible.

It DOES INDEED contain a brief outline of the History of the Rite (I'll be glad to post several other good sources as well that go more in-depth) and it DOES INDEED contain "all sorts of other goodies"

The book Necros made available is a GOOD book. In fact, Necros I'll be glad to e-mail you the single pdf file that I turned your scans into. Makes it a LOT easier to read by using Acrobat Reader and simply going from page to page.

....the miracles never cease.......

posted on Mar, 20 2005 @ 09:21 AM
link   

Originally posted by akilles
History and objective don't mix well.

Maybe if you KNEW what your conclusions were going to be, it would be easier.

Since you are willing to dismiss all conspiracy fact, this seems quite apparent.

You meant a history text book that didn't accuse Masons of wrongdoing!

Seems to me Akilles, that EdamianX simply wants a HISTORY of Freemasonry. Not conspiracy, etc. A History of what it is and what it's about. The conspiracy information can come from you and your ilk.

You're just mad because he doesn't seem to want to jump in on your side.

posted on Mar, 20 2005 @ 09:30 AM
link   

Originally posted by EdamienX
Thanks

A good, but LONG set is Mackey's History of Freemasonry (7 volumes!) They're old but a fascinating read if you want to follow the development of the various degrees and Rites.

Coil's Encyclopedia (which is available from Macoy Masonic Publishing in Virginia) is a good read as well.

There are numerous others, but these (and some of the others listed) are a good start.

Despite what akilles or any of the other trolls will tell you, if you're genuinely interested in the truth the Masons on this list (myself included) will help you in any way we can.

Regards

posted on Mar, 20 2005 @ 11:06 AM
link   
Senrak - No one really cares what you think about every individual post I make, it's a sure sign of an underachiever to be hanging on to every word I say like it's your calling in life.
Get a hobby...other than running around following me like a lost puppy.

posted on Mar, 20 2005 @ 11:38 AM
link   

Originally posted by MrNECROS
Senrak - No one really cares what you think about every individual post I make, it's a sure sign of an underachiever to be hanging on to every word I say like it's your calling in life.
Get a hobby...other than running around following me like a lost puppy.

BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

underachiever indeed! BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Mrs. Necros everyone has to have a favorite troll and you're such an entertaining one. ...besides, what no one really cares about is "every individual post you make" Don't you see what a joke you are? ATS wouldn't be the same without you. In fact...it might get boring if anything intelligent was allowed to be discussed...

[edit on 20-3-2005 by senrak]

posted on Mar, 20 2005 @ 01:44 PM
link   

posted on Mar, 31 2005 @ 08:00 PM
link   
I Liked The Da Vinci Code
but im new here so i wouldn't listen 2 me.

posted on Mar, 31 2005 @ 08:18 PM
link   
www.bessel.org...

For sheer objectivity Kent Henderson's work is excellent.

posted on Mar, 31 2005 @ 08:38 PM
link   
I have not read this yet myself; though I will eventually.

The Secrets of Freemasonry

Just remember to study this with not just your left-hemisphere of the brain(related to the intellect); but also with the right-hemisphere(related more to The Consciousness).

amirfatir.tripod.com...

Salaam

[edit on 31-3-2005 by Tamahu]

posted on Mar, 31 2005 @ 08:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by Tamahu
I have not read this yet myself; though I will eventually.

Oh, I see. You haven't read it, but we SHOULD? Why should we? On what basis do you recommend it? Is it accurate? How do you KNOW if you haven't read it?

Dear god the trolls are out in full force tonight.......

posted on Mar, 31 2005 @ 08:58 PM
link   

amirfatir.tripod.com...

Salaam

posted on Mar, 31 2005 @ 09:25 PM
link   

Salaam

Yes. You said that. Thanks.

Pax vobiscum!

posted on Mar, 31 2005 @ 09:34 PM