It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

How do we fix our system?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 13 2021 @ 10:59 AM
link   
All of the following points are opinion but what are your thought?

We have seen that over the past decade or more that our government has no plan to ever work for the people again as currently structured. The two party system has shown us that they are just two sides of the same coin, never quite improving life for the people.

What if? now follow me here...
What if we could do the following?

- Place term limits on ALL offices in public leadership from local to national levels. From mayors to the office of the President 4 years max, then back to your civilian life you go.
This I feel would prevent career politics and over reach of laws made by our leaders since they would have to answer to the same standard set for all of us.

- While in public office you make the median income of the people you serve.
This would prevent extravengant pay raises being voted on for congress by congress. It would also serve for motivation to improve your represented area instead of sitting in a seat for 4 years doing nothing.

- Replace the sitting members with everyday people, plumbers, teachers, factory workers, store clerks etc. secure their jobs like do with deplored armed forces so when their term is done they go back to their normal life.
This would serve to keep our leaders connected to their communities.

- Any bill introduced in Congress have a page limit, and be in layman’s terms.
This would serve to make all things voted on be easily understandable by the public and easily read by members before the vote. Thus eliminating confusion and no more of the pass it to find out what’s in it.

- Last but definitely not least, introduce a 3-5 part system.
Thus eliminating all of this party line voting. There would be no more voting because of what letter is beside their name. This in my opinion is one of the most ridiculous things we have going on.
There was a time that our leaders decided on a goal together for the betterment of the country and just had different ways to get there. Now...as you all see we are divided as ever....

What if we could restructure the mess that we have going on now and how would you do it?
Remember to keep it light and constructive guys this isn’t the mud pit.

edit on 1/13/2021 by TheSilverGate because: (no reason given)

edit on 1/13/2021 by TheSilverGate because: Typos

posted on Jan, 13 2021 @ 11:04 AM
link   
One state at a time. Secession.

If or when Texas goes, I want my state to go with them.
edit on 13-1-2021 by CharlesT because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 13 2021 @ 11:07 AM
link   

originally posted by: CharlesT

Or straight up ANARCHY.
Whatever it takes.
I don't want to continue down this Banana Republic path though.

posted on Jan, 13 2021 @ 11:11 AM
link   
a reply to: CharlesT

I agree secession is always an option BUT it’s one option that would definitely cause a civil war.
That’s something I think we would all really want to avoid, though it may be inevitable at some point.

posted on Jan, 13 2021 @ 11:16 AM
link   
a reply to: TheSilverGate

The U.S. political system never appears in the top 20 best in any index you wish to look at.

posted on Jan, 13 2021 @ 11:26 AM
link   
Term limits would be a good start.

posted on Jan, 13 2021 @ 11:39 AM
link   
a reply to: TheSilverGate

You cant fix a system that you dont own and in many respects the system will and is in the process of fixing itself.

The 'fix" thats in is that the US is moving toward a One Party system.

That pretty much makes everthing having to do with politics and governance a moot point.

posted on Jan, 13 2021 @ 11:45 AM
link   

originally posted by: TheSilverGate
All of the following points are opinion but what are your thought?

We have seen that over the past decade or more that our government has no plan to ever work for the people again as currently structured. The two party system has shown us that they are just two sides of the same coin, never quite improving life for the people.

What if? now follow me here...
What if we could do the following?

- Place term limits on ALL offices in public leadership from local to national levels. From mayors to the office of the President 4 years max, then back to your civilian life you go.
This I feel would prevent career politics and over reach of laws made by our leaders since they would have to answer to the same standard set for all of us.

- While in public office you make the median income of the people you serve.
This would prevent extravengant pay raises being voted on for congress by congress. It would also serve for motivation to improve your represented area instead of sitting in a seat for 4 years doing nothing.

- Replace the sitting members with everyday people, plumbers, teachers, factory workers, store clerks etc. secure their jobs like do with deplored armed forces so when their term is done they go back to their normal life.
This would serve to keep our leaders connected to their communities.

- Any bill introduced in Congress have a page limit, and be in layman’s terms.
This would serve to make all things voted on be easily understandable by the public and easily read by members before the vote. Thus eliminating confusion and no more of the pass it to find out what’s in it.

- Last but definitely not least, introduce a 3-5 part system.
Thus eliminating all of this party line voting. There would be no more voting because of what letter is beside their name. This in my opinion is one of the most ridiculous things we have going on.
There was a time that our leaders decided on a goal together for the betterment of the country and just had different ways to get there. Now...as you all see we are divided as ever....

What if we could restructure the mess that we have going on now and how would you do it?
Remember to keep it light and constructive guys this isn’t the mud pit.

1. Term limits - how would you propose this be enacted, procedurally? congress would have to draft it, and the senate would have to ratify it and then send it to the president to sign into law. the only other option would be executive order which would be blocked by congress.

2. income - Again, how would you implement, procedurally? same issue as above.

3. replace with commoners - how? eliminate the peop le's ability to vote???

4. page limit - i kind of like this one. would also help limit pork barreling.

5. i guess i don't understand your proposal here

my .02

posted on Jan, 13 2021 @ 11:49 AM
link   

originally posted by: CharlesT

If or when Texas goes, I want my state to go with them.

Texit is gaining momentum.
TEXAS + EXIT = TEXIT

TEXIT A GUIDE TO TEXAS INDEPENDENCE
tnm.me...

posted on Jan, 13 2021 @ 11:55 AM
link   
Get rid of political parties altogether.
Partizanship is destroying America.
Vote for people, not for party machines.
Removing party affiliations strips representatives of the power of the party.
It stops irreconcilable polarisation of the people.
It unifies.
It heals.

posted on Jan, 13 2021 @ 12:03 PM
link   
Step one: End the Federal Reserve banking system.

As long as banks can create "money" out of thin air they can buy anything, from politicians to government.

As long as the banks can use the full force of government to charge the people interest on the money they create, the people will always be debt slaves.

You can trace almost all major problems we face to banker control of fiat currency, from government corruption, to racism, to environmental decline, to poverty, and especially to war, and so on.

posted on Jan, 13 2021 @ 12:07 PM
link   
I agree with your ideas and agree that parties become self-serving entities. Corporations are perhaps as large an issue and should be broken up like Ma Bell was years ago. Corporations used to issued a charter for a singular purpose and limitation on time. The monetary system is the other leg of this evil control tripod, yet another entity not controlled even by our own government.

Technology has introduced dangers never even dreamed of and frankly I don't know how those can even be addressed no less stopped.

posted on Jan, 13 2021 @ 12:35 PM
link   
a reply to: Flyingclaydisk

I’d say 1&2 go hand in hand with #3 for what I believe the answer could be.
Not to take away the people voice, quite the opposite.
I feel the people should take away the voice of governing officials because their voice is not our voice.
They say they speak on our behalf but neither side has shown me that they speak on the behalf of anyone except themselves.
So to answer that I believe the people should have the say on how they want to proceed. A popular vote with ID, counted by us, and announced by a person, people, or a committee of our choosing on local levels and up the chain. All steps made public for all to see and access at any point in time, in real time.
The results being solidified by a popular vote.

posted on Jan, 13 2021 @ 12:36 PM
link   
a reply to: VictorVonDoom

I agree! That’s a huge issue and always has been.
That would definitely be a must on the list of things to do.

posted on Jan, 13 2021 @ 12:42 PM
link   
a reply to: Asktheanimals
This is a tricky one to navigate due to the way they are setup but I believe this is also an important issue. Large corporations have shown time and time again that they can and will act as they please and receive mostly a slap on the wrist when they “get caught”.
I don’t have an opinion on how this could viably be fixed that doesn’t involve some sort of regulations. I haven’t considered this one much so I don’t really want to throw anything out there. Im not a huge fan of regulating businesses and such but I agree completely large corporations have proven problematic in numerous ways.

posted on Jan, 13 2021 @ 12:50 PM
link   
1 i agree with term limits for all.

2 Median income would just encourage manipulation of the figures. Probably lead to greater corruption overall.

3 sounds good but is not practical. Unfortunately Government needs experienced bureaucrats and professional administrators.

4 Absolutely. Many reforms are needed with legislation in fact. America’s system encourages deep corruption and secrecy.

5 political parties in general are a mistake. They should be abolished entirely. Representatives should serve their constituents, not a party.

link   
Double post
edit on 1312021 by Ohanka because: (no reason given)

link   

originally posted by: TheSilverGate

I’d say 1&2 go hand in hand with #3 for what I believe the answer could be.
Not to take away the people voice, quite the opposite.
I feel the people should take away the voice of governing officials because their voice is not our voice.
They say they speak on our behalf but neither side has shown me that they speak on the behalf of anyone except themselves.

Completely agree.

So to answer that I believe the people should have the say on how they want to proceed. A popular vote with ID, counted by us, and announced by a person, people, or a committee of our choosing on local levels and up the chain. All steps made public for all to see and access at any point in time, in real time.
The results being solidified by a popular vote.

No argument on the process part. However, this election cycle aside, 'the people' have had the option of enacting term limits for the past few decades it has been seriously discussed, and to date they keep electing the same people over and over again. this was my point. for change, new leaders would need to be elected who supported passing laws to make term limits mandatory. career politicians will never do this, and as long as people vote them in nothing will change.

posted on Jan, 13 2021 @ 01:18 PM
link   
a reply to: Ohanka

Maybe we could remedy #3 with an advisor committee of sorts.

Your point on #5 could be viable as well...the remedy to making that work could also be a fix to the corruption points...enforce their oath to protect the constitution via serious implications and actions toward traitors.
Bring back the original punishment for it, live streamed.

posted on Jan, 13 2021 @ 01:22 PM
link   

I agree with that 100%.
People tend to choose the devil they know over the devil they don’t so to speak.
Change can be scary but we the people have got to come together from all sides and views and realize what we have isn’t working for us any more.
If we could all get past the small things that divide us we could realize we all want the same thing...
To live in peace and be able to prosper in this country many of us love, and to have a voice in the direction it goes.
As long as we keep doing the same thing we will just spin our tires.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join