It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Free Speech web browser from GAB - add comments to any web-page

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:
+8 more 
posted on Jan, 12 2021 @ 05:01 PM
link   
Someone just linked me a page about this little gem.

Dissenter web browser review

According to Andrew Torba, the founder of Gab, he created it to be a social media site that supported free speech. As long as you didn’t violate United States law, you would be able to say whatever you wanted on Gab.

This stand infuriates powerful forces like all the big social media companies, along with web hosting companies, payment processors, and others with “progressive” political views who demand that they alone can decide what is acceptable online speech and that have the responsibility to censor anything they don’t like.

When you use the Dissenter browser, you can attach comments to any web page, whether that page has a comment section or not. Anyone using the old Dissenter extension, or using the Dissenter browser can see those comments, add to them, even follow a favorite commenter.

posted on Jan, 12 2021 @ 05:16 PM
link   
a reply to: 111DPKING111

That's pretty cool.

posted on Jan, 12 2021 @ 05:28 PM
link   

Thinking smarter. Fighting smarter. Using technology to beat them at their own game.

Competing internets -- so to speak -- isn't necessarily an ideal, but it's better than one controlled internet, and no internet at all.

I like it.

posted on Jan, 12 2021 @ 05:33 PM
link   
Huh. Worth checking out.

posted on Jan, 12 2021 @ 05:38 PM
link   
a reply to: loam

I couldn't actually get to the correct location using Chrome so I could actually download it.

I had to go in via windows explorer.

Dissenter Browser Download Page

posted on Jan, 12 2021 @ 05:41 PM
link   

originally posted by: 111DPKING111
Someone just linked me a page about this little gem.

Dissenter web browser review

According to Andrew Torba, the founder of Gab, he created it to be a social media site that supported free speech. As long as you didn’t violate United States law, you would be able to say whatever you wanted on Gab.

This stand infuriates powerful forces like all the big social media companies, along with web hosting companies, payment processors, and others with “progressive” political views who demand that they alone can decide what is acceptable online speech and that have the responsibility to censor anything they don’t like.

Gab has built their own infrastructure that is not reliant upon The Overlord Tech Gods. They are (so far) impervious to invasion/annihilation/absorption. There is another one; Clouthub that features one stop shopping.
edit on 12-1-2021 by vethumanbeing because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 12 2021 @ 05:50 PM
link   
Appears to be under maintenance at the moment. Probably why it's all a bit slow currently.

posted on Jan, 12 2021 @ 06:38 PM
link   
This whole mess is making me seriously consider going back to Linux with no Google ties at all. No Microsoft, no Google, no Mozilla...

posted on Jan, 12 2021 @ 06:44 PM
link   
a reply to: HalWesten

I don’t have any problems with that. Get out of here penguin. Go quack your linux is better nonsense away from me.

The only thing linux is good for is as a server OS or for hacking. That is it. Nothing else. Goodbye.

how will you search the internet? Duck duck go? Its still a tie. Are you going to use linux on your phone? Yeah right. What web browser would you use? What search engine? What email? What social media platform will you use to discuss things on the internet? Facebook, google, discuss?
edit on 12-1-2021 by DaRAGE because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 12 2021 @ 06:47 PM
link   

originally posted by: HalWesten
This whole mess is making me seriously consider going back to Linux with no Google ties at all. No Microsoft, no Google, no Mozilla...

I’ve had a number of posts deleted here recently, I can only assume that Big Brother has also reached ATS or that someone is trying to silence me.

posted on Jan, 12 2021 @ 08:03 PM
link   

originally posted by: DaRAGE

I don’t have any problems with that. Get out of here penguin. Go quack your linux is better nonsense away from me.

The only thing linux is good for is as a server OS or for hacking. That is it. Nothing else. Goodbye.

how will you search the internet? Duck duck go? Its still a tie. Are you going to use linux on your phone? Yeah right. What web browser would you use? What search engine? What email? What social media platform will you use to discuss things on the internet? Facebook, google, discuss?

You sound like someone who has never used Linux before. I've been using Unix and variants of Unix and several iterations of Linux for almost three decades. Educate yourself before you make ridiculous statements like you just did.

posted on Jan, 13 2021 @ 12:47 AM
link   

a reply to: loam

I couldn't actually get to the correct location using Chrome so I could actually download it.

I had to go in via windows explorer.

Dissenter Browser Download Page

Direct link to download page

I was up and going pretty quickly.

posted on Jan, 13 2021 @ 12:55 AM
link   
Linux is great, unless you use the many windows only software out there and can't use it. If my software ran on it, I would be using probably xubuntu or mint xfce, really nice OS that don't do all kinds of # I don't want nor need like windows lol. I am stuck using a stripped down win10 enterprise or whatever to use my graphics programs. Would still be on a stripped down win7, but newer mobo are gimped on win7 due to not providing win7 driver support anymore

posted on Jan, 13 2021 @ 04:37 AM
link   
Try installing something, extracting something, extracting then installing, and trying to get it to run. Reply to: TKDRL

What a joke. So disjointed and unorganised.

Even valve released a linux distribution called steam OS.
Couldnt run the games as fast as windows.
There goes the userbase.

Come back when you can install something properly for 99.9% of the population that will work at 100% the speed of the same app or game running on linux. Make it as carefree and as easy to use and windows. Don’t try and blame me for not having used it ir tried it. There are MANY reasons why it isn’t as big of a userbase as windows or even MacOS...

Also you all don’t answer my questions. What web browser wil you use? What search engine? How will you discuss things with people on websites when 99.9 percent of people wont change over to your linux crappola.?

You’re still in the system whether it be search engine, web browser, phone aps.... there is no OUT. YOU ARE IN AS IS EVEYONE ELSE. Do not attempt to lie to yourself or anyone else. You are a part of the shstem no matter how hard you try to be out of it. As is everyone else.

Suck it up. Prove me wrong.
edit on 13-1-2021 by DaRAGE because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 13 2021 @ 04:38 AM
link   
Oh and by the way i have tried linux. It sucked.

posted on Jan, 13 2021 @ 05:52 AM
link   
a reply to: DaRAGE
Installing # is actually easier on linux than windows really, unless it's obscure, or you are trying to run it through a windows emulator. "Apt-get install whatever-program" and done. Extracting and installing is pretty easy, if you get the 7zip addon, then you can use GUI instead of all command lining it.

If stuff like daz studio, zbrush and all the other windows only programs I use did a native version, I would change over. The only ones I use that does a linux version is blender, it is a bit faster on linux than windows, but not like a huge difference. Houdini is a lot faster with some things on linux, I kinda gave up on that program though for now, it's really hard to learn. If the program is done right on linux, it should be faster if you use one of the lighter versions, as the OS is using a hell of a lot less resources. It's not wasting your hardware spying and # like windows.

edit on Wed, 13 Jan 2021 05:53:12 -0600 by TKDRL because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 13 2021 @ 07:32 AM
link   

Oh and by the way i have tried linux. It sucked.

I don't understand why you're so angry about this. if you're not, your tone absolutely is. You obviously don't like or understand Linux so you ridicule it and the people that use it. That's real adult. Dismissing something out of hand without putting the effort into learning it is childish though. If you don't like it for whatever reason, just ignore it and move on. Some of us here have spent at this part half of our lives in IT and have put things like this through its paces and actually understand it. We know the pluses and minuses, where it works and where it doesn't.

I will disagree with TKDRL on the software installation process, many packages today are still lightyears behind Microsoft and Apple for ease of installation. One platform that doesn't exist anymore is Lindows/Linspire, the only Linux version (as of a few years back) that tried diligently to get Windows apps to work seamlessly using Wine and the first that I'm aware of that had an actual "store" for software called "Click 'n Run". I was a Lindows/Linspire insider from the earliest beta versions and it was far ahead of all other Linux systems at the time. But they challenged Microsoft (taunted, really) with the Lindows name and lost the court battle which put them on a downward path pretty quickly.

At any rate, when I was using Linux (Mint at the time) for several months exclusively at home it got to a point where the software I used just wasn't 100% compatible with my work software so I had to switch back. Everything else was awesome. Browsing, photos, chats, etc. and today with the emulators for old DOS games that I still play I could switch back easily. Since many of us use web applications these days it would be a seamless transition in that regard.

posted on Jan, 13 2021 @ 08:44 AM
link   
The only thing about Dissenter is that only comments from people using the platform will be commenting. It's completely different than open comments on a news website, which are becoming less and less common as of late. No one other than other Gabbers will ever read the comments, so it's like /r/politics where only redditors will ever see those opinions.
Yeah it's neat, but I'd prefer a legal requirement that "news" websites have to have open comment sections that are moderated only for violence or incitement, not hate speech. We need to pop the echo chamber bubbles, not just create new platforms.

posted on Jan, 13 2021 @ 10:47 PM
link   

originally posted by: thegeneraldisarray
The only thing about Dissenter is that only comments from people using the platform will be commenting. It's completely different than open comments on a news website

Dissenter is the kind of thing that could take off really quick.

Bannon had the owner(Andrew Torba) on his War Room podcast and apparently they have a phone in the works as well.

Skip to 29:26 in the podcast to hear from Torba - love his hat - "Make Speech Free Again"

He talks about the Big Tech Exodus as their hits and users go way up, Parler floundering doesnt hurt either.

Give Bannon credit for giving this platform and others some free advertising(He was the number 1 podcast, not sure now that Big Tech has deplatformed him).

Vote with your wallet - cancel Amazon Prime, use yippy.com or duckduckgo.com instead of google, Clouthub/ gab / Parler can replace twatter and facebook.

posted on Jan, 21 2021 @ 08:45 PM
link   

Been using it since you posted this. Works great! Bye bye google!

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join