It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

70TB of Parler users’ messages, videos, and posts leaked by security researchers

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+4 more 
posted on Jan, 11 2021 @ 10:57 AM
link   
Security researchers have leaked.over 70TB of private messages, posts and videos that were scraped by them off Parler before it was shut down.

Just imagine the backlash had these security researchers done this to twitter instead.

cybernews.com...

Parler, a social network used to plan the storming of the U.S. Capitol last week, has been hit by a massive data scrape. Security researchers collected swaths of user data before the network went dark Monday morning after Amazon, Google, and Apple booted the platform. 

The scrape includes user profile data, user information, and which users had administration rights for specific groups within the social network. Twitter user @donk_enby, who first announced about the scrape, claims that over a million video URLs, some deleted and private, were taken. 

“These are original, unprocessed, raw files as uploaded to Parler with all associated metadata,” claims one of the authors.

Security researchers claim that the scrapped posts are linked to accounts that posted them, and some of the video and image data have geolocation information. That is said also to include data from Parler’s “Verified Citizens,” users of the network who verified their identity by uploading photographs of government-issued IDs, such as a driver’s license.
[...]

So scraping data and doxxing people I suppose is now acceptable as long as it's the right people and it seems these 'security researchers' were in fact just some random hackers.

So these people illegally broke into a database, are now spreading people's personal information, including driver's licenses, phone numbers and private messages and are now being considered akin to heroes.
edit on Mon Jan 11 2021 by DontTreadOnMe because: trimmed massive quote IMPORTANT: Using Content From Other Websites on ATS

+4 more 
posted on Jan, 11 2021 @ 11:00 AM
link   
a reply to: dug88

Let's save this post for when the same thing happens to a liberal site and the lefties get all pissed off.

+5 more 
posted on Jan, 11 2021 @ 11:03 AM
link   

originally posted by: peter_kandra

Let's save this post for when the same thing happens to a liberal site and the lefties get all pissed off.

Falling for left/right is why we are in this mess.

posted on Jan, 11 2021 @ 11:04 AM
link   

originally posted by: MALBOSIA

Maybe, but the double standards don't help. If the playing field were more level, I think there would be much less left vs right rhetoric.

+6 more 
posted on Jan, 11 2021 @ 11:06 AM
link   
Waiting on someone to come into the thread with the private company argument totally ignoring that barriers are being put up so that no company can even get off the ground...

+4 more 
posted on Jan, 11 2021 @ 11:06 AM
link   

When it happens to them... the perpetrators will be called hackers instead of 'Security Researchers'.

posted on Jan, 11 2021 @ 11:12 AM
link   

originally posted by: Edumakated
Waiting on someone to come into the thread with the private company argument totally ignoring that barriers are being put up so that no company can even get off the ground...

Good point.
So...Azure and AWS recently went through a battle for military cloud services. Will there be any censoring of data on those platforms? If not, is it falling under the generic umbrella of "national security"?

Will Apple, Google and Amazon be as diligent in removing ANY person, group or company that people feel incites hate and/or violence or is it just Trump and conservative viewpoints?

I would think it should be viewed through a nonpartisan lens, no?

posted on Jan, 11 2021 @ 11:13 AM
link   
And ... this is why I was extremely reluctant to open an account on Parler. You DON'T get that much of my personal information.

posted on Jan, 11 2021 @ 11:13 AM
link   
Lawyers will be working overtime!

posted on Jan, 11 2021 @ 11:15 AM
link   
a reply to: Snarl

Yeah I looked at it, but it wanted a phone number and other crap so I never bothered.
edit on 11/1/2021 by dug88 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 11 2021 @ 11:15 AM
link   

Unsurprising considering Cambridge Analytica is pretty entagled with Parler investors. Parler is just Facebook for people who think Facebook is censoring them. Same goal on both platforms. Data collections.

posted on Jan, 11 2021 @ 11:17 AM
link   

Well, I'm confused. I thought Twitter had rules about disseminating hacked material?

posted on Jan, 11 2021 @ 11:23 AM
link   
Correct. And the company has shown on other instances that is vulnerable to such breaches.

+3 more 
posted on Jan, 11 2021 @ 11:23 AM
link   
a reply to: Identified

It's ok, they're "fighting fascism."

posted on Jan, 11 2021 @ 11:28 AM
link   

originally posted by: MALBOSIA

Maybe, but the double standards don't help. If the playing field were more level, I think there would be much less left vs right rhetoric.

I so agree with you. I could talk to liberal/progressive friends. BUT then Trump got into office and I am evil...not to be talked to.

posted on Jan, 11 2021 @ 11:31 AM
link   

originally posted by: dug88
a reply to: Snarl

Yeah I looked at it, but it wanted a phone number and other crap so I never bothered.

I never used my full name and did not give them a valid phone number but when I found out they wanted a photo ID and photo from my camera before I could IM friends I deleted my account.

posted on Jan, 11 2021 @ 11:32 AM
link   
I don't think planning seditious acts on a social media platform is very wise. Always use Tor....

posted on Jan, 11 2021 @ 11:34 AM
link   

Years ago way back when communication sent via the internet took days to get from sender to receivers, and an equal number of days back, in packets via the telephone line, while you racked up a huge monthly telephone bill, even then we were warned of the lack of security and the dangers of communicating over the internet.

There is no one on the internet that does not realize that anything they post is at risk, and that providing any personal data is likely to be hacked or used by anyone that really wants it. We still have whole businesses, including governments that have had their accounts, held hostage for large sums of money, so the risk is the same across the board. Post at your own risk. There is no 100% safety once you put your data out there.

It is not about left or right, black or white. It should be brutally honest at this point that they are in control. Whether they are trying to convince you that a woman that ignored warnings by the police and continued to try to enter a room in the Capitol, in the company of those aggressively crashing into a room in the Capitol is innocent, and she was murdered because she was unarmed, or an unarmed woman awakened from her sleep and killed in the hallway of her own home, is guilty, because she didn't heed the warning of the police that crashed in her home, it is obvious we are being scripted and controlled. As long as we continue to kick the can, we are still pawns in the game.

We are what they want us to be. We respond on command. We are not zombies, we are characters in a virtual video game, and being used to destroy our real world. It is time to pull the plug.

posted on Jan, 11 2021 @ 11:34 AM
link   
If it wasn't for double standards, lefties wouldn't have any. Criminal behavior is bad, unless it's aimed at people we don't like. "Free speech doesn't mean free from consequences, like doxing and battery and stuff"

posted on Jan, 11 2021 @ 11:35 AM
link   
Democrats are setting up another excuse to censor.

Censoring is for everybody's own good because internet security is not good enough🤣

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join