It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Exexcutive Order 13959 takes effect at 09:30am EST on Jan 11, 2021

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 10 2021 @ 05:39 PM
link   
This has been mentioned in other threads, but it deserves it's own IMO:

Title of EO 13959: Addressing the Threat From Securities Investments That Finance Communist Chinese Military Companies

Preamble:

I, DONALD J. TRUMP, President of the United States of America, find that the People's Republic of China (PRC) is increasingly exploiting United States capital to resource and to enable the development and modernization of its military, intelligence, and other security apparatuses, which continues to allow the PRC to directly threaten the United States homeland and United States forces overseas, including by developing and deploying weapons of mass destruction, advanced conventional weapons, and malicious cyber-enabled actions against the United States and its people.

LINK: www.federalregister.gov... ary-companies

What exactly does this mean in layman terms? I read it, but could use some help breaking it down.

This is not the pit, please keep it civil.
edit on 10-1-2021 by RickinVa because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 10 2021 @ 05:42 PM
link   

posted on Jan, 10 2021 @ 05:45 PM
link   
These three paragraphs are important:

Key to the development of the PRC's military, intelligence, and other security apparatuses is the country's large, ostensibly private economy. Through the national strategy of Military-Civil Fusion, the PRC increases the size of the country's military-industrial complex by compelling civilian Chinese companies to support its military and intelligence activities. Those companies, though remaining ostensibly private and civilian, directly support the PRC's military, intelligence, and security apparatuses and aid in their development and modernization.

At the same time, those companies raise capital by selling securities to United States investors that trade on public exchanges both here and abroad, lobbying United States index providers and funds to include these securities in market offerings, and engaging in other acts to ensure access to United States capital. In that way, the PRC exploits United States investors to finance the development and modernization of its military.

I therefore further find that the PRC's military-industrial complex, by directly supporting the efforts of the PRC's military, intelligence, and other security apparatuses, constitutes an unusual and extraordinary threat, which has its source in substantial part outside the United States, to the national security, foreign policy, and economy of the United States. To protect the United States homeland and the American people, I hereby declare a national emergency with respect to this threat.

Looks like some people may have some explaining to do.

posted on Jan, 10 2021 @ 05:47 PM
link   
I think we're going to see a spectacle before this even takes effect.

+1 more 
posted on Jan, 10 2021 @ 05:47 PM
link   
a reply to: RickinVa

Basically it prevents US citizens from purchasing any stock in companies that are identified by the US government as Communist Chinese Military Companies.

Think Huawei.

posted on Jan, 10 2021 @ 05:49 PM
link   
a reply to: Identified

Huawei is listed in the appendix of companies.

Isn't McConnell's wife involved with Huawei?

posted on Jan, 10 2021 @ 05:51 PM
link   
I’m hearing from various sources and operatives that Trump invoked the Insurrection act.

posted on Jan, 10 2021 @ 05:52 PM
link   

I can think of several prominent Democrats this will affect,
they must be planning on POPS undoing this asap?

posted on Jan, 10 2021 @ 05:53 PM
link   
that sticks out like a sore thumb:

"and engaging in other acts to ensure access to United States capital."

Hmmmmm I wonder what "other acts" may be. First thing that pops in my head is bribery of government officials.

posted on Jan, 10 2021 @ 05:54 PM
link   
a reply to: choomsuba

I think we are being placated...people on both (all) sides...while they do away with our rights. When we wake up to it, it will already be over.

posted on Jan, 10 2021 @ 05:55 PM
link   
I guess this could be a move to show exactly where the Democrats loyalties lie.

Let's see how long it takes Biden to crush this order.

posted on Jan, 10 2021 @ 05:58 PM
link   

Bribery you say? Could that also be connected to
say...interfering in an election?

edit on 10-1-2021 by burntheships because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 10 2021 @ 05:58 PM
link   

I don't remember if Huawei was the problem or not but Chao did have some problems with her family's shipping business.

Remember: It won't be unusual for US citizens to have traded, at one time or another, in companies that are now on the CCMP list if they had funds that invested in tech or aerospace.

posted on Jan, 10 2021 @ 05:59 PM
link   

originally posted by: Identified

I don't remember if Huawei was the problem or not but Chao did have some problems with her family's shipping business.

Remember: It won't be unusual for US citizens to have traded, at one time or another, in companies that are now on the CCMP list if they had funds that invested in tech or aerospace.

Chao also just quit her US govt job as well.....

posted on Jan, 10 2021 @ 06:00 PM
link   
a reply to: caterpillage

If Biden moves to crush this then that will be a huge red flag! There would be no reason other than China loyalty for him to.

Of course he is promising to roll back every Trump EO his first 5 minutes in office so...

posted on Jan, 10 2021 @ 06:02 PM
link   
a reply to: Vasa Croe

Technically she was so outraged she resigned effective - Tomorrow. Lol

posted on Jan, 10 2021 @ 06:05 PM
link   

It looks like the Chinese are buying American stuff with their own finances....
they have been doing that for yonks, it's known as trade, permitted use of American intellectual property, and probably copying as well...sounds about right for God knows how many countries.

posted on Jan, 10 2021 @ 06:08 PM
link   

originally posted by: smurfy

It looks like the Chinese are buying American stuff with their own finances....
they have been doing that for yonks, it's known as trade, permitted use of American intellectual property, and probably copying as well...sounds about right for God knows how many countries.

It isn't "permitted use of intellectual property" if they steal it.

But of course you knew that...

How is your 5G install going over there?

posted on Jan, 10 2021 @ 06:09 PM
link   

Although this EO goes to great lengths to redefine all Chinese business and anyone who does business with these Chinese companies, as supportive of the Chinese military, I can't really see what prosecutions, limitations, or restrictions will be applied.

It seems like the point of this EO isn't to 'do' anything, but is to create an identifiable 'group' to vilify people in regard to business investment and association with Chinese nationals.

If the EO had some defined action, I feel sure that the Trump organization and Donald Trump himself might be included due to any business investments in Chinese companies or in China.

I expect that this will likely be part of escalating pieces of legislation as this EO seems incomplete.

I would expect that this might be challenged on constitutional grounds if it actually went somewhere.

edit on 10/1/2021 by chr0naut because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 10 2021 @ 06:11 PM
link   

originally posted by: RickinVa

Huawei is listed in the appendix of companies.

Isn't McConnell's wife involved with Huawei?

I think she resigned a few days ago,,hmm

<<   2 >>

join