It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Mozilla Foundation CEO: We Need More Than Deplatforming

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 10 2021 @ 05:47 PM
link   
a reply to: stormbringercompanion

brainchild of Javascript creator and Mozilla project co-founder Brendan Eich🙈

posted on Jan, 10 2021 @ 07:44 PM
link   
a reply to: Majic

brave.com...

This browser blocks all ads, trackers, and cookies.

posted on Jan, 10 2021 @ 10:01 PM
link   
I just found out that Duckduckgo has a browser app
DuckDuckGo Browser for Android
I'm trying it out now.

Pretty sure there's an Apple version too.

posted on Jan, 11 2021 @ 07:00 PM
link   

originally posted by: HalWesten
a reply to: TXTriker

Yes, however....

Brave
Copyright © 2021 The Brave Authors. All rights reserved.
Brave is made available to you under the Mozilla Public License 2.0 (MPL) and includes open source software under a variety of other licenses. You can read instructions on how to download and build for yourself the specific source code used to create this copy.

That is from my Brave browser About page. It's based on Chromium. Now what? [Edited for accuracy]

We're not going to be able to get away from most of the big tech companies. Not until someone makes serious headway with alternatives which I have always been in favor of, since way back in the late 80s.

He was CEO at Mozilla until they fired him. The Chromium is not Chrome. Is the basis for Chrome and most other alternative browsers. I checked quite a few before picking Brave and most use the Chromium as the basis. It will have to do for now.

posted on Jan, 11 2021 @ 07:09 PM
link   
Can't speak for anyone else, but tinfoil hat wearers like me been encrypting all non-public communications, especially anything sensitive since snowden blew the lid on just how much goobermint been snooping.

posted on Jan, 11 2021 @ 07:31 PM
link   
It's not paranoia if they really are out to get you.

posted on Jan, 11 2021 @ 10:17 PM
link   
Absolutely can't stand when companies shove their stage 5 Trump Derangement Syndrome down our throats. Politics shouldn't be a workforce ethic, EVER. But.. as long as they keep their actual browser/code politics-free, then we're good. I'm a heavy user of Nightly 64-bit (beta) browser.
edit on 11-1-2021 by Kromlech because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 12 2021 @ 08:00 AM
link   

originally posted by: TXTriker

Yes, however....

Brave
Brave is made available to you under the Mozilla Public License 2.0 (MPL) and includes open source software under a variety of other licenses. You can read instructions on how to download and build for yourself the specific source code used to create this copy.

That is from my Brave browser About page. It's based on Chromium. Now what? [Edited for accuracy]

We're not going to be able to get away from most of the big tech companies. Not until someone makes serious headway with alternatives which I have always been in favor of, since way back in the late 80s.

He was CEO at Mozilla until they fired him. The Chromium is not Chrome. Is the basis for Chrome and most other alternative browsers. I checked quite a few before picking Brave and most use the Chromium as the basis. It will have to do for now.

Yes I'm aware of that. Remember the good old days before Google when Webcrawler actually gave you information you were looking for and Netscape was a fast browser?

posted on Jan, 14 2021 @ 06:49 PM
link   

Yes, however....

Brave

Yes I'm aware of that. Remember the good old days before Google when Webcrawler actually gave you information you were looking for and Netscape was a fast browser?

Showing my age but I was working with computers before they had hard drives and the floppies were 8 & 1/2.

posted on Jan, 14 2021 @ 07:16 PM
link   

Yes, however....

Brave

Showing my age but I was working with computers before they had hard drives and the floppies were 8 & 1/2.

My first experience was with the C64 and a system 32 coding RPG and COBOL in high school. Punch cards. Ew.

posted on Jan, 15 2021 @ 10:50 AM
link   
As expected, the search for a new email client is somewhat more challenging, especially considering how many different email accounts I have to manage across so many different kinds of services.

At the moment, Claws Mail is looking like the best option, but I'm still working out how I would want to arrange the mail store in MH format, nail down the details of migrating my existing emails from Thunderbird and making sure everything works properly, is secure and doesn't replace one set of problems with another.

To reiterate, my decision to flee from Mozilla has nothing to do with politics and everything to do with ensuring I don't place my trust in organizations that are demonstrably unworthy of it. Likewise with Google, any social media company or any business based on surveillance capitalism.

Sometimes "free" is just too expensive.

posted on Jan, 15 2021 @ 07:18 PM
link   

Yes, however....

Brave

My first experience was with the C64 and a system 32 coding RPG and COBOL in high school. Punch cards. Ew.

Trash 80 and a Compaq with about a 3" screen. Folded up so it looked like a sewing machine case! Good times!!!!

posted on Jan, 15 2021 @ 07:50 PM
link   

Wow, they sound like fascists Nazis.

These must be the domestic terrorists the FBI keeps talking about.

posted on Jan, 15 2021 @ 11:21 PM
link   

Brave is so much better than firefox i just switched a week ago. Love it, wish I knew about is sooner.

posted on Jan, 17 2021 @ 02:10 PM
link   
a reply to: GunzCoty

Ideology and freedom aside for a while. Brave is shrinking tabs. How in hell am I supposed to use it?
Geek it up to make them scroll like firefox and I may use it for the next two decades if we are allowed to by the CCP. I'll be like 'Come and take it!'
And how is it different apart from the Tor mode? Will you use it all the time? Do the sites work then? It takes a brain to tune a browser.
"Ask me every time" firefox option was the most effective tool so they got rid of it to make more cash on us. You'd see each cookie request popping up separately. Accept, deny, deny, deny, deny and you knew what's stored. Now all browsers are like android apps. Accept all requirements, app will know your contacts, can reach your microphone or... you cant use the app. Unless you can root the phone which is not the case for 99.9 % of people

posted on Jan, 17 2021 @ 04:06 PM
link   

originally posted by: thegeneraldisarray
a reply to: stormbringercompanion

Brave has built-in Tor connectivity. I use it and have a wallet for my BAT but recently the payouts have been abysmal so I've shut off ads. You can also use BAT to tip websites that participate, a neat way to fund sites that get attacked and whose payment processors refuse to work with anymore.

I've never had a problem with Brave and highly recommend it.

Sending you a messsage..........need some info.......

posted on Jan, 17 2021 @ 05:21 PM
link   
a reply to: PapagiorgioCZ

Ideology and freedom aside for a while. Brave is shrinking tabs. How in hell am I supposed to use it?
Geek it up to make them scroll like firefox and I may use it for the next two decades if we are allowed to by the CCP. I'll be like 'Come and take it!'
And how is it different apart from the Tor mode? Will you use it all the time? Do the sites work then? It takes a brain to tune a browser.

what are you talking about? It works the same for me as Chrome and Firefox?

posted on Jan, 17 2021 @ 05:26 PM
link   

originally posted by: Majic
Well, that was easy. Brave is now my new browser, Firefox has been uninstalled from all my devices and a 26-year legacy has come to an abrupt end.

Doing the same. Likewise, been a Firefox guy for as long.

Mad respect, btw, for your years of honest and fair consistency.

posted on Feb, 17 2021 @ 06:57 PM
link   

originally posted by: carewemust

originally posted by: Ohanka
Well, time to use an alternate browser.

See you in hell.

Mozilla-Firefox is not that profitable to begin with. If enough users shy away, they're history.

The vast majority of their money came from Google being the default search engine.

I uninstalled Firefox after I heard about this, but honestly, I've been looking for alternatives for a while now because it has basically just turned to crap.

Using Brave now, and mostly wondering why I didn't switch sooner.

The one thing I miss from the older XUL based browser though is the awesome Addon ecosystem, and the ability to customize the UI in virtually endless ways - until Mozilla killed XUL. That was when I knew my time with it was limited - although, like someone else said, I knew that time would come when they forced Brendan Eich out for supporting marriage being defined as between a man and (non trans) woman.

posted on Feb, 17 2021 @ 07:16 PM
link   

originally posted by: Majic
As expected, the search for a new email client is somewhat more challenging, especially considering how many different email accounts I have to manage across so many different kinds of services.

Whats wrong with Thunderbird?

Are you under the misunderstanding that it is owned by Mozilla Corp? It isn't. Mozilla Corp abandoned Thunderbird a long time ago. It's legal home is underneath the Mozilla Foundation, but that is not Mozilla Corp.

I was really upset about their betrayal when it happened.

Really happy about it now, because Thunderbird is thriving without Mozilla Corp, and I don't have to look for another mail client because Mozilla Corp is shooting itself in the foot - again.

That said, I think it is time for Thunderbird to start working on separating themselves from their dependence, although apparently it is going to be a whole lot of work.

<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join