It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

WAR: Protests Mark Second Anniversary of Iraq War

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 19 2005 @ 02:44 PM
link   
Protests around the world have marked the second anniversary of the US invasion of Iraq. Most of these demonstrations have been peaceful. Some of the protests have been to call for the withdrawal of troops from Iraq, both those of the country of the protest and those of the US. The majority of the protests have been in Europe, with some also in Turkey.

www.msnbc.msn.com
LONDON - Thousands of anti-war protesters gathered in cities around the world on Saturday to mark the second anniversary of the U.S.-led invasion of Iraq.

The protests were unlikely to match in size those held in February 2003, a month before the war started, when millions took to the streets to urge President Bush and his allies not to attack Iraq.

With international forces still facing a violent insurgency in Iraq, some protesters demanded a full withdrawal of foreign troops, but others said that could leave the Iraqis in a worse position.

More than 10,000 anti-war protesters gathered in London’s Hyde Park

"We got the Iraqis into this mess, we need to help them out of it," said Kit MacLean, 29, waiting near Hyde Park's Speakers' Corner for the start of a planned march to the U.S. Embassy and Trafalgar Square.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

These protests are a wonderful thing to see. The people that are protesting are in countries where they are free to do so, and I believe everyone should have that right. The best part about this protests are that they have been peaceful.

Unfortunately I don't believe that the protests will have the effect of causing the governments of the coalition to withdraw. The quote from Kit MacLean is quite right when he says, "We got them into this mess, we need to help them out."

Regardless if you believe the War in Iraq was the right thing to do or not, it has been done, and walking away now will only make things worse. I would like to see an exit strategy that ensures the security of the Iraqi people, and leaves a strong government in place.

Related News Links:
www.foxnews.com

posted on Mar, 19 2005 @ 03:21 PM
link   
I went to the one in Sydney, Australia. It was HUGE! haha! this one guy had a huge sign that read 'help the police: beat yourself up', and another guy had a sign that read 'bullied kids become police...please don't bully kids!'. The pigs tried to make them both take it down, but they eventually backed off. freedom of speech blast to the face, pig!

posted on Mar, 19 2005 @ 03:44 PM
link   
What at this point does any protest against the war in Iraq actually achieve? The feelings are known. At this point it serves absolutely no purpose besides affecting those who are left to do the fighting.

Anyone calling for the withdrawl of coahilition forces is simply a moron.

I went to the one in Sydney, Australia. It was HUGE! haha! this one guy had a huge sign that read 'help the police: beat yourself up', and another guy had a sign that read 'bullied kids become police...please don't bully kids!'. The pigs tried to make them both take it down, but they eventually backed off. freedom of speech blast to the face, pig!

I think this shows the mantality of people left protesting the war perfectly...

posted on Mar, 19 2005 @ 03:50 PM
link   
Mentality or not. Reasoning behind ones deserve to effect change in this matter or not. These people are free to protest. They are free to protest because of those fighting, and who have fought.

Ask a soldier. They'll tell you they think these people are idiots, but they are willing to do what they do so that they can have that right.
BTW, I am not saying that those who protest are idiots.

All in all though, I would agree that it will not change the situation. Security in Iraq will change the situation.

posted on Mar, 19 2005 @ 04:00 PM
link   
General Zapata,

Cops have always enjoyed being called "pigs".
I have a few police friends who just LOVE that nickname.

Do you have a nickname for Soldiers, who also risk thier
lives for the security of a Nation or region?

posted on Mar, 19 2005 @ 04:02 PM
link   
Well I think those people are actually very sick...This year there are mostly palestinians and other foreign nationalities protesting(it makes me think why they left their countries to come and live with the bad guys) and the rest are people with signs like this one "We hate war and we are for feminism"...
I was born in communist state and I do remember our revolution - The Prague Spring 1968 and the hungarian revolt of 1956(the Soviets executed their prime-minister Imre Nagy for his willingness to kill his own people)...If then in Washington was Reagan or Bush,I'm not so sure the russians would have used the army...But then again we were out of luck...see now what's going on in Lebanon,Egypt and Iraq...people know there is someone ready to protect them if the dictators use the army and are protesting...Those idiots in the Western Capitals are forgeting what Saddam did to the revolt right after the First Gulf War...I really can't understand those people...and by the way I have nothing against the feminism...

[edit on 19-3-2005 by ZMax]

posted on Mar, 19 2005 @ 05:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by spacedoubt
Do you have a nickname for Soldiers, who also risk thier
lives for the security of a Nation or region?

yes I do. 'gangsters for capitalism' has always summed it up perfectly. And never has it been more appropriate than now.

posted on Mar, 19 2005 @ 05:38 PM
link   
President Bush, in his weekly Saturday radio address also marked the occasion of the 2nd anniversary of the invasion of Iraq. His comments were directed at what he saw as the success to come out of the war. Also protests in New York, Chicago and San Francisco marked the anniversary. Some arrests were reported.

www.reuters.com
Thousands gathered in New York's Central Park and police said they arrested 36 protesters including 27 in Times Square as anti-war groups held rallies throughout the city.

In midtown Manhattan, 350 people marched silently along 42nd Street, flashing peace signs and carrying 50 cardboard coffins.

Bush made an uncompromising defense of the invasion in his weekly radio address: "On this day two years ago, we launched Operation Iraqi Freedom to disarm a brutal regime, free its people, and defend the world from a grave danger."

"Today we're seeing hopeful signs across the broader Middle East," he said. "The victory of freedom in Iraq is strengthening a new ally in the war on terror and inspiring democratic reformers from Beirut to Tehran."

Bush cited a threat from Saddam as justification for a war that faced widespread and lasting opposition in many countries in Europe and the Middle East.

"We knew of Saddam Hussein's record of aggression and support for terror. We knew of his long history of pursuing, even using, weapons of mass destruction, and we know September 11 requires our country to think differently," he said.

posted on Mar, 19 2005 @ 05:46 PM
link   

Mentality or not. Reasoning behind ones deserve to effect change in this matter or not. These people are free to protest. They are free to protest because of those fighting, and who have fought.

They're free to protest, and I'm free to call them irresponsible morons for doing it.

I fail to see why someone would call these protests wonderful as you did...

yes I do. 'gangsters for capitalism' has always summed it up perfectly. And never has it been more appropriate than now.

I wish ungrateful ignorants like you to get the hell out of all the Western world. Go take a visit to Eastern Europe, Asia or Africa.

I doubt you'll find the governments, cops, or soldiers there to be anywhere near as tolerant.

If you don't appreciate the people who give their life so you can sit here running your mouth, then you don't deserve to live here.

posted on Mar, 19 2005 @ 05:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by Disturbed Deliverer
I fail to see why someone would call these protests wonderful as you did...

I call it wonderful because it is a display of the freedoms that we have. Even the freedom to call them morons. I would not have been out there protesting, it's not my cup of tea. If I had driven past a demonstration today, I probably would have shaken my head in disgust. I disagree with what they are doing.

My point is that they are free to do so, and that is one of the benefits of democracy.

posted on Mar, 20 2005 @ 07:54 AM
link   
So it is news afterall

posted on Mar, 21 2005 @ 02:30 AM
link   

Originally posted by Disturbed Deliverer
I wish ungrateful ignorants like you to get the hell out of all the Western world. Go take a visit to Eastern Europe, Asia or Africa.

I doubt you'll find the governments, cops, or soldiers there to be anywhere near as tolerant.

If you don't appreciate the people who give their life so you can sit here running your mouth, then you don't deserve to live here.

so...according to you...governments, police and soldiers are 'tolerant' (taken with a grain of salt here, and the city of miami would agree) in the western world because military men and women have given their lives for their countries so that I have the right to call them 'gangsters for capitalism'?

Brainwashed drivel, all of it. Just because you don't hear about police repression doesn't mean it doesn't exist. protestors at S11 in miami were shot with rubber bullets, pepper sprayed and beaten for protesting PEACEFULLY. As were the protestors at the anti-WTO seattle marches. where is the tolerance? these enforcers for the rich are desperate to put down all forms of disobedience, because any thought out of the mainstream is dangerous to the status quo.

I am a great supporter of riots. I believe that there should be less protests, and more violent rebellions against police brutality. The Watts riot, for example, short of revolution, is the best thing that could have happened. The phenomenon of a riot is deeply interesting, in that it is a purely natural response to an unnatural system of exploitation and economic and violent coercion.

posted on Mar, 21 2005 @ 02:34 AM
link   
What about the city of Miami?.... i live in the Hialeah/Miami section of South Florida...

What repression are you talking about being done by police officers?....

Are there some police officers that exceed their powers? yes, unfortunately there are...but it is the exception and not the rule....

BTW, if you are in favor of more violence, you will be spending more time in jail.
So, be ready to spent time in jail, for being violent.... and then some people ask why the police at times gets so violent.... General Zapata.... here is the anwser to that question....

I guess he expects the police officers to put up with his behavior without him having to pay the consequences of such violent behaviour....

[edit on 21-3-2005 by Muaddib]

posted on Mar, 21 2005 @ 03:28 AM
link   

Originally posted by Muaddib
I guess he expects the police officers to put up with his behavior without him having to pay the consequences of such violent behaviour....

Good thing the British didn't put up with it either. Oh wait....

posted on Mar, 21 2005 @ 05:05 AM
link   
I was planning to attend the peace march here but was unable due to severe weather and I am very disapponted that I missed it. Eureka California Peace March 2005

posted on Mar, 21 2005 @ 03:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by Muaddib
BTW, if you are in favor of more violence, you will be spending more time in jail.
So, be ready to spent time in jail, for being violent.... and then some

you don't seem to understand. Jail means nothing for the thousands who rioted at Watts. It was the system that failed them, and their riots were in the right.

posted on Mar, 21 2005 @ 05:55 PM
link   

Brainwashed drivel, all of it. Just because you don't hear about police repression doesn't mean it doesn't exist. protestors at S11 in miami were shot with rubber bullets, pepper sprayed and beaten for protesting PEACEFULLY. As were the protestors at the anti-WTO seattle marches. where is the tolerance? these enforcers for the rich are desperate to put down all forms of disobedience, because any thought out of the mainstream is dangerous to the status quo.

You should be happy they used rubber bullets, and not the real thing as they would in many other nations.

The bottom line is, you weren't peacefully protesting anything. You were breaking the law. They did their job. If you want to protest, you have to do it the oppropriate way. That means you get a permit. You aren't violent.

new topics

top topics

join