It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Werewolves.The myths and the truths.

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 7 2004 @ 02:23 AM
link   
I've wondered if perhaps some of the werewolf incidents were related to a form of ritual cannibalism, an old belief or tradition that lingered on in some areas. Extreme poverty and starvation could be a factor, too, but without an economic snapshot of the area at that time it's a matter of sheer speculation.

If anyone's interested, you can get a free copy of Sabine Baring-Gould's "Book of Were-Wolves" from Project Gutenberg. There are some interesting stories in there, and Amuk, you'd find the story of Gilles de Rais to be of interest.

posted on Nov, 7 2004 @ 02:39 AM
link   

Originally posted by Hecate100
and Amuk, you'd find the story of Gilles de Rais to be of interest.

That was the French Serial killer right?

He was who I thought of when I posted.

There was also a countess, I cant remember the name right now but she killed a few hundred young girls and bathed in there blood to stay young

posted on Nov, 7 2004 @ 02:53 AM
link   
Yes, I thought you meant him. The woman you mentioned is Elizabeth, Countess of Bathory. She's more associated with vampirism than lycanthropy, but her crimes are almost at a par with de Rais'.

posted on Nov, 7 2004 @ 03:02 AM
link   

Originally posted by Hecate100
Yes, I thought you meant him. The woman you mentioned is Elizabeth, Countess of Bathory. She's more associated with vampirism than lycanthropy, but her crimes are almost at a par with de Rais'.

Thats what I thought her name was but wasnt sure. They walled her up in her keep till she died. There are several movies about her and yes she was associated with vampirism more than werewolves.

The French guy fought with Joan of Arc, didnt he? Also in the crusades I believe.

posted on Nov, 7 2004 @ 03:17 AM
link   
Yup, he was a famous warrior and did indeed fight beside Joan of Arc. It seems his muderous side was concealed for years and started at a very early age. There's a good (long) article about him here. It's not really clear how he got associated with the werewolf myth, but it was the Baring-Gould chapter on him that inspired me to look for more information.

posted on Nov, 17 2004 @ 08:04 PM
link   
As the owner of several pure bred wolves I would like to point out that wolves, being both hunters AND scavengers, are actually immune to rabies. Though they are not immune to the mind altering effects of starvation. They do get a disease found only amongst lupines that is simmilar to rabies, save the hydrophobic effect and the leathality, it's seldom fatal, with most of the afflicted animals dying due to paranoia on the part of humans.

posted on Dec, 23 2006 @ 01:25 PM
link   
vamps are real were wolfs are real face the freaking facts

posted on Dec, 24 2006 @ 04:03 PM
link   
Sorry but vampires and werwolfs DO NOT exist. They come from Hollywood movies and very imaginative minds of people. First, if you drink the blood of another human (not your blood type) you get many diseases, some even fatal, and some like meningitis (sp?). And werwolfs are a myth, do you really think bipedal-human-flesh-eating creatures walk around eating peopleat night wihout anybody knowing? I don't think so. Face the facts, all threads regarding werwolfs, vampires ect ect should not be allowed, because it is misinformation, things you say that you cannot prove, which is against the rules of ATS. And, all the Hollywood creatures like Frankenstein, the monster from the black lagoon, vampires, witches, werwolfs, spider-man
are not true...Maybe witches but they can't fly a broom and turn you into a frog.... I'm sorry but people you have to deny ignorance here, not until people start mating with wolfs there isn't going to be any wolfmen....

-Jimmy-

posted on Dec, 24 2006 @ 08:52 PM
link   
i dont care what you say it dosent matter vampires are real cannibals eat people you have never head of a mass group of people dieing and that mostly mass sucide which hasnt happened in a while.

posted on Dec, 26 2006 @ 10:17 PM
link   
Yea that is true, people are obsessed with imortality (or genenral longevity). But to actualy live longer its gained through eating lots of fruits and vegitables, exercise, mabey be in the sun a bit (has some sort of healing energys and stuff, and generaly makes you happy, if your happy and positive then you live longer).

If you want to live forever (or near forever) don't act at all like a vampire.

posted on Jan, 2 2007 @ 10:56 AM
link   
My grandmother tells me this story, that she and all of her village swears it is true:
when she was younger (maybe 50-60 years ago ) , there was a a woman in the village,that would sometimes transfor into a bitch
absolutely no pun intended, altough very very funny.
So she would transform in a dog female, and go and suck milk from people`s cows.
Here is how my grandmother tells the story: something would enter the stables at night and suck all the milk, and when the owner would go in the morning to milk the cow, on the part of the cow where the milk comes out would be redness, something like tooth marks, and absolutely no milk.That happened for months at a time, and to almost every house in the village.After the people from the village became desperate, because of the lack of milk which was the main part of their diet, along with cereals and vegetables, they would stay hidden in their stables in the dark, and wait for the animal to come.When a guy and his 2 sons heard their cow move and some strange sounds, he quickly lighted a torch and the sons attacked the dog with the hay forks.They stabbed the dog, but didn`t kill it, and it ran away.The next morning, a woman was found stabbed in 2 places with hay forks, naked near her house.She was not dead, but barely living.Because there were no hospitals in the area then, she was treated by the village doctor ( who wasn`t really a doctor, but he was an assistant of a doctor in the WW2 ).He patched her up, and then, as the news of a stabbed woman began to spread, a lot of people, including the stabber and his sons, came to see her.After some discussions, she admitted to turn into a dog and go and feed of the milk from the cows. Everybody who is still alive from back then swear by this story, and they also say that the women was killed by a ranger, when she was a dog and attacked in the winter some chickens, and she was shot.When the ranger looked for her in the woods, he found the same woman shot and dead.

Now of course this is a very wild story, I don`t believe it, but is very interesting for me to know how could an entire village of 2000 people believe this and not have second thaughts about it.Collective paranoia/hallucinations? No '___' mold on the crops, that`s for sure

But then again, this happened in Romania......

posted on Jan, 11 2007 @ 09:46 PM
link   
I do believe in werewolves and vampires. some people wonder who the first vampire was....well i figured it might be judas, the guy who betrayed jsues, if u look on the paiting or a picture of the last supper judas is the one on the right looking away from jesus. he was hung for his betrayal and the name of the first vampire VLAD DRACUL.

well anyways vampires and werewolves are real. i hav heard that its a navajo black magic to become a werewolf "skinwalker"....so i've heard.....i hav come to believe that some sort of shaman visited me in my sleep/dreams. I ever since then i've been having dreams of blood and i'm running with woves.

i like to talk about werewolves and vampires and like to learn more and more about them.

posted on Jan, 13 2007 @ 06:41 PM
link   
I see you guys forgot to mention the "Bray Road beast" in Wisconsin. I don't believe in the whole if you get bitten you become one thing, but I do believe their are hybrids between animals and humans, like half man half wolf, experiments gone wrong. I've also seen alot of rituals on the net, I haven't tried them out yet and I don't plan too. There was a lady in Wisconsin that saw the beast and saw then a illustration of a werewolf and said thats exactly what she saw, but they haven't seen the beast in some time. I'm planning too go to Norway this year and find some Lycanthropous water and flowers the locals say that it will turn you instantly into a wolf.

posted on Jan, 14 2007 @ 08:35 PM
link   
Not to be overly correcting, but I doubt that the painters in the renicance actualy saw the sceen of the last supper, the based a lot of it off what they think it would look like (with classical architecture and fancy clothing for the time period with classical draping, even though it is doubtfull people in Jerusalam at the time actualy wore ideal classical clothing of the renicance).

Also judas is usualy depicted with jewish features, what would you make of that?

posted on Oct, 2 2007 @ 05:40 PM
link   
Lets forget the dogma, I am a guru on the subject and the wolf is a symbol of goodness. The protector.

posted on Oct, 2 2007 @ 05:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by ID
It is my belief that werewolves as they are portrayed in horror movies do not exist. There is no mammal on this planet capable of transforming from a man into a wolfman. This does not however mean that a wolf like bipedal creature could not exist. I am simply saying that the idea of a man "transforming" is ludicrous. One theory on werewolf sightings is that they are either a missing link or a none used evolutionary branch that are on the verge of extinction.

I agree. I believe werewolves and vampires are simply two more ways that demons can manifest themselves in the physical world.

posted on Oct, 2 2007 @ 05:56 PM
link   
I have 4 statuettes and one big statue of the Romulus and Remus twins under the she-wolf. I was always fascinated by this statue, even when I was a kid, ignorant and all, but still drawn to it. I took my grandmothers statue and have since gotten many souveniers from my relatives in Rome who know that I like the she wolf. Its good timing that you bring this up. I want to go to barnes and noble tonight to research this story of the sons of the God of War...MARS.

I can speak to my dogs telepathically and they follow me around my apt. constantly. They are easy to read, loyal and my favorite of all creatures. People around here call me the shepard! I always have the 4 of them following me around, no matter where I go in the house. lol...but its real cute and I love them equally as I do with the rest of my family members. The pure goodness of these innocent animals bring me joy. The dog is fearless, unaware and living in the now, always in the now, never realizing that their food can run out. Their belly is full and that is all they know, they didn't bite the apple of knowledge, they don't know they are going to die, only humans know this, therefore, more fear in us.

I heal at a rapid rate. My doctor told me after my post OP that my wound was healing fast and clean, and was shocked during my visits. I have to clip my nails once a week, shave 3 times a week, and I won't get into body hair, my ex used to pin me down and shave me. But one girl actually loved my beastly look! Most do not....umm..wait, im venturing off topic now.

So am I a werewolf?? Yes...I believe I am. Call me cuckoo, but I am familiar with the mythology to know that the shapeshifting is all an exaggeration of the truth. I used to go to work and constantly get things like

"you look different today" or "You didn't have a beard yesterday"! or " how did you lose all that weight overnight"

I can lose 3-5 pounds in one day, and my skin changes color sometimes. This constitutes as shapeshifting, and drastic flux of physical proportions after a nights sleep. The full moon turns me into a beast, figuratively. My sex drive goes up for sure.. My energy level as a whole, including appetite. I eat alot during the Full moon.

In the story of X-men, Wolverine was created in Antartica, in an underground base.

This coincides with the human genome project and the theory that it is taking place in Dulce, NM, and in Antartica. I was recently watching the film WOLF with Jack Nicholson and like most werewolf stories, the wolf is always protecting a woman, whether a lover, a sister, or a mother. It's consistent in folklore.

[edit on 10/2/2007 by StreetCorner Philosopher]

posted on May, 31 2008 @ 03:40 AM
link   
I have over 70 werewolf movies...Since I was 6 I've always been into them I'm 32 now. I wish that werewolves were around, because of the fact I just like the whole deal. Its a very interesting myth, which has a lot of unanswered questions. I'm sick of reading blogs from,( they have to be kids) people who say they're werewolves...Shut the f*** up. Do you really think that something with the mythylogical history like a werewolf would be on the internet!!!
This subject however is very exciting to me, when its not infected with jackasses, or were-asses!!
I need something that doesn't necessarily have to be 100% proof, but just something that will keep me wanting more.

by the way I have tons of folklore on werewolves and know how to kill them about 50 different ways...stories can be really funny sometimes

posted on Jan, 3 2010 @ 09:28 AM
link   
I think that the orgein of werewolfs starteed by a saitan worshiper that asked to become a werwolf for his soal and he would be able to bite ppl and make them werewolfs and the devil took his deal.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join