It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Light Curve Analysis gives Evidence that Oumuamua was Disc Shaped not Cigar Shaped

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 14 2021 @ 10:03 AM
link   
a reply to: MissSmartypants

That's an interesting perspective.

"If you can reach our probe, we can talk."

posted on Jan, 17 2021 @ 04:40 PM
link   

originally posted by: moebius
a reply to: gortex

Calling it disk or cigar shaped is misleading.

All those studies can say is that it is either elongated 1:8 ratio or flattened 1:6 ratio. They can not make any statements about the actual shape just the aspect ratios.

I find a flattened object with a 1:6 ratio much less puzzling than a elongated object with a 1:8 ratio. Neither are impossible to have formed naturally though.

Besides those studies are also assuming uniform surface properties, which does not have to be the case: academic.oup.com...

I'm adding the link to a recent article and interview with Loeb:

Physicist Avi Loeb thinks there's a 'serious possibility' that 'Oumuamua was an alien spacecraft

Which can be found at: www.alternet.org...

The Aspect ratios of which you speak only give us a two dimensional picture of the object which is actually a three dimensional target.

I wanted also to share Loeb's bio with you, it includes links to other articles as well as videos of his work which I find impressive. But he is a bit of a rogue in the field as elucidated in this quote

"When you are not ready to find exceptional things, you will never discover them." - Avi Loeb (Scientific American 2020)

www.cfa.harvard.edu...

I find this perspective very, pardon me, but Aquarian, of him and personally welcome. He covers this ground, open-mindedness, in the article at Alternet. (It's a good subject for another topic).

Back to the article's contents:

He rebuts three commonly held ideas of Oumuamua's natural origin later on in the interview.

Check it out. This stuff is why I joined ATS in the first place and I hope to see more discussion.

new topics

<< 1   >>

join