It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Idea for News Submissions

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 19 2005 @ 01:28 PM
link   
I've noticed that the current vote tally for news submissions is displayed on pending news articles.

I think this display encourages voters to vote one way or another dependent on the current vote total. Basically, it encourages a "jump on the bandwagon" attitude with respect to the news submission.

So that people vote for what they really want, how about we just show the current vote tally to the original submitter, moderators, etc. and don't show it to everyone else on ATS.

I believe this way we can encourage more independent thinking with respect to the worthiness of news articles.

[edit on 19-3-2005 by Jamuhn]

posted on Mar, 19 2005 @ 01:37 PM
link   
Sounds like a good idea Jamuhn! If some see that a story is tanking fast they might be inclined to vote it down. I, on the other hand always root for the underdog, so I will most likely vote for the submission. You probably have something here.

posted on Mar, 19 2005 @ 01:56 PM
link   
I think it's a great idea! Plus, I'd suggest getting rid of the points system (and grandfathered old ATSNN reporters) whereby people post without review by another mod or a vote.

posted on Mar, 19 2005 @ 02:24 PM
link   
be careful with suggestions,

but good idea

best wishes

dc

posted on Mar, 19 2005 @ 11:05 PM
link   
I'd like to think it wouldn't matter, but, as is the case with sites like Bash.org, the herd mentality plays a large role. I'm willing to put money on the fact that it's far less of an issue here than there, but I bet it still plays a role. I for one like to see the current votes just to kind of get a feel for the thing. If the post is -6, and I thought it was fine, odds are I missed something, and I'd like to be able to re-evaluate that.

posted on Mar, 20 2005 @ 07:34 AM
link   
Between the points made in this thread and the SO's response in this one:

www.abovetopsecret.com...

I am really starting to think the new system of submitting news is just not working. I know it was done to lessen some of the burden from the Mods and give members more input to the system, but there seems to be a serious lack of understanding and perception between the members and the administration (or some of them).

After reading SO's list of stories he found possibly more suitable in regular threads, then going directly to ATSNN News tab to find at least 2 of them listed under hot topics, I then went to the submit news tab and read the three buttons there to find more clarification. What I found was more format criteria (then content criteria) and more confusion from what little content criteria I could find as compared to what SO's take on content worthiness may be.

We need a clearly defined content criteria from administration, and I specifically say from administration to avoid a big debate over this, since in the end it must come as a mission statement from them, it's their board and that is what will ultimately decide what rules, so why argue it. Then we need a way to submit news (and I don't think the current voting works for various reasons) where the criteria can be upheld. If it's too much for the few to handle, then maybe members need to be picked to to handle the load. Either way, I still think you would run into a perception problem.

I don't know in the end what the final solution would be to resolve all the problems that seem to be occurring at this point, but I think it's time to admit the current system has some serious flaws.

One thing I can think of that might work, (though what do I know) would go something like this. ATS appoints an anonymous group of news reviewers similar to the way the debate voting was handled. This group must be somehow well versed in what the criteria is. Upon susbmission of a news story, the member places the story in an appropriate forum on the regular boards, while a request goes to the reviewers to consider moving it to ATSNN. The reviewers are alerted via U2U to review the story and vote and as soon as (if) a majority number of votes are reached to upgrade, an online Mod is alerted to move it. Well, maybe this process is to complicated to program, I don't know, but it's just a thought. If the reviewers can see the votes and know the number that needs to be reached they would be able alert an online Mod that a story is ready for moving via the suggestions tab. The Mod who moves it picks the appropriate place on ATSNN for it. You could still maintain the part where after a certain number of stories get upgraded a member automatically gains reporter status.

Meanwhile, everyone submitting needs go with the flow and not wah wah about the news worthiness of their story, it is on the boards and can be discussed as much as member interest holds it, the only difference at that point is how many points are earned because it is in one place instead of another and whether or not it appears on the front page. But in all honesty there are so many submissions coming through, few are hitting that anyway. Members must also not expect specific explanations as to why their story failed to reach ATSNN, it just can't be done, move on and keep trying till you get it right. Reading enough ATSNN stories should provide the clues you need to improve your submissions.

Bottom line, regardless of the process, it is the criteria for where it belongs that needs to be more clearly defined and managed, and these things are just not going to be held to by voting of the general population, it's an impossible expectation.

[edit on 3/20/2005 by Relentless]

posted on Mar, 20 2005 @ 08:26 AM
link   
SO, obviously, was right. But enough people have read that post that I think it's starting to sink in. With the added increase to 20 positive votes, more of the stories are weeded out, and the real ATSNN worthy stay. He hit home with that one, and I think a lot of us will make a concerted effort to keep that in mind when voting.

new topics

top topics

join