It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NYC Mayor Sparks Debate on Beer, Wine

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 14 2003 @ 10:46 AM
link   

New York Mayor Michael Bloomberg drinks water while others drink wine at a concert in Brooklyn's Prospect Park, Tuesday, July 8, 2003. While Fourth of July revelers on Rockaway Beach were cited for drinking beer, concertgoers at some of the city's free performances have been allowed to drInk wine without being cited and despite the citys open-container law. The disparity has some New Yorkers complaining of classism.

NEW YORK - Ahhh, the joys of a summer day, when the toughest decision might be the choice between a perfectly chilled bottle of wine and an ice cold beer.

That choice might be a little easier these days in New York City, where Mayor Michael Bloomberg uncorked a brouhaha by suggesting that while drinking wine in the park with the symphony is fine, beer and the beach just don't mix.

The comment has set off allegations of snobbery and classism, a problem for the billionaire mayor who was already perceived by many New Yorkers as unable to relate to them and their problems.

Yahoo

posted on Jul, 14 2003 @ 11:13 AM
link   
Beer and the beach do not mix?

Stone that heathen!

Arise, all New Yorkers and rid yourselves of such a deplorable, anti-American bum and find yourselves a proper beer drinker.

I'd trust nobody who made such a statement!

posted on Jul, 14 2003 @ 12:02 PM
link   
Pataki and Bloomberg have turned NYC into a frikkin north carolina sleepy town. No smoking in bars or restaurants, no alcohol on beaches !!!!!!!! WTF

Its bad enough we pay up to 8 bucks for a pack of smokes. Now the alcohol thing is coming into play.

WHATS NEXT?

They need to worry about bigger issues, such as the teen male prostitues I always see in the village. Homelessness is rising in a major way in nYc...I see little change. Rent went up 14% everywhere....pushing people onto the streets. Small businesses are shutting down due to lack of funds and tourisms. Its a chain effects. Very sad.

posted on Jul, 14 2003 @ 12:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by Thomas Crowne

Stone that heathen!

Arise, all New Yorkers and rid yourselves of such a deplorable, anti-American bum and find yourselves a proper beer drinker.

I'd trust nobody who made such a statement!

7Yeah same he (Bloomberg) aint a real man drinking water
*hangs head in shame*

posted on Jul, 14 2003 @ 01:30 PM
link   
Yeah now yet another small business owner I know (a neighbor) sold his place because of the anti smoking laws. It's really nice that the greatest city in the world is slowly morphing into the biggest pain in the ass in the world. I still would never live anywhere else, but all this crap going on is really borderline daily harassment already.

posted on Jul, 14 2003 @ 02:36 PM
link   
wine, but not beer? You've gotta be kidding me!

I'd get myself a few bottles of MD 20/20 and see what Bloomberg has to say about THAT!

I can see banning American beers, or beer in cans. lol.

posted on Jul, 14 2003 @ 02:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by Thomas Crowne

Stone that heathen!

Well... ahem... I can think of several occasions where beer and beach don't mix...

lessee

Beer bellies and Speedos... bad, very bad.
Too much beer and salt water (dont' try it)
Too much beer and no sun screen
Too much beer and too few porta-potties
Drunk a$$holes falling all over the place

The list could go on and on and on.

But speaking for all sophisticated upper east side New Yorkers everywhere... the mayor is whacked!

posted on Jul, 14 2003 @ 02:57 PM
link   
Im affraid you are going to have to change your avatar...its too damn disturbing.

posted on Jul, 15 2003 @ 03:24 AM
link   
In the immortal words of W.C.Fields:"I never drink water. Fish f** in it."

posted on Jul, 15 2003 @ 07:50 PM
link   
Beware the Martian!!! ...

It does seem to be a trite commentary by the Mayor.

new topics

top topics

join