It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Lessons to learn - Brexit, 2016, 2020

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 7 2021 @ 04:54 PM
link   
If political parties need any sort of analysts or gurus to figure out what has gone on over the past 5-6 years it will be very sad.

My opinions on voter fraud don't really come into what happened in 2020, but from what I've seen from the 3 events there is on overriding message:

Positivity

Brexit was about "Better off alone" vs "We cant cope without the EU"
2016 was "Make American Great Again" Vs "We want to rule your lives"
2020?

"Everyone is against us" vs "I'm not Donald Trump"

Both of these were negative slant messages. President Trump did try to talk about positives, but was easily pulled back into defending himself and becoming negative. In 2016 I understand Trump got involved in the nitty gritty (Because you'd be in Jail), but he quickly got back into selling people a new positive America.

I don't think Trump ever got out of the siege mentality of the first election and was campaigning far too early (the majority of people who dont care about politics really doesn't want to be bothered about it over than once every 4 years) and far too negatively. He actually had decent achievements in the first 4 years and should have focused on them. Lower Taxes = More Money, Getting healthcare to publish pricing, Border Security etc etc

In politics if you tell people in the center/dont really care what you've done to help them and show them how they can check that out, you'll gain votes. If you show them what you promised to do and you did it, you'll gain votes.

My thoughts are for a lot of people they really just wanted to return to a time that politics wasn't in their face all the time, that meant voting for an establishment figure was a positive and not a negative.

posted on Jan, 7 2021 @ 05:11 PM
link   
a reply to: latic
Perhaps the Trump election of 2016 really equates with the Boris election of 2019.
Both came to power by promising to do something people wanted.
The Trump election of 2020 would have to be compared with the probable British election of 2024, which may or may not be won on the Brexit achievement. Or we may find that "anything you did about the pandemic was wrong in somebody's eyes" becomes a factor.

P.S. I've done a couple of threads on the parallels of British/American politics since the war, and with special reference to the Boris/Donald comparison, but the virus crisis may have thrown these parallels out again.

edit on 7-1-2021 by DISRAELI because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 7 2021 @ 05:41 PM
link   
a reply to: DISRAELI

It really is the messaging, but rather than what is said its if people take it a negative or a positive. I think the media will learn this soon enough, but right now negative is getting their ratings.

Looking at the threads now!

edit on 7-1-2021 by latic because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 7 2021 @ 05:51 PM
link   

My first thought would be don't do Brexit during a global pandemic of epic proportion if I'm honest.

Nobody is ever better off alone, certainly not 66.65 million people on 600 odd mile long island that imports more than its exports by a significant margin.

Anyhoo I'm just not seeing the positives if I'm honest, never mind the fact that the ultimate cost to the nation has yet to be established.

End of the day "The True Measure of Any Society can be Found in How it Treats its Most Vulnerable Members." let see how they poor bastards fair when they are expected to foot the bill and pay the price.
edit on 7-1-2021 by andy06shake because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 7 2021 @ 05:58 PM
link   

The real lesson of Brexit is, and always has been, in the small print.

posted on Jan, 7 2021 @ 06:01 PM
link   

originally posted by: andy06shake

End of the day "The True Measure of Any Society can be Found in How it Treats its Most Vulnerable Members." let see how they poor bastards fair when they are expected to foot the bill and pay the price.

There's the irony.

The barstards who screwed the country over the last 45 years now have an 80 seat majority and a complicit opposition. What makes people think they'll all of a sudden get a fair deal after Brexit.?

I spent four years Brexit proofing my business and finances. It's been worth its weight in rubies over the pandemic but there are still cracks that worry me. And I'm one of those well off southerners with a decent pot....
edit on 7-1-2021 by Whodathunkdatcheese because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 7 2021 @ 06:08 PM
link   
a reply to: Whodathunkdatcheese

Well its Que Sera Sera now Whodathunkdatcheese.

Im 45 and i dont recall ever seeing the Tories punt a fair anything, for or to, anyone, but there own kind.

In answer to your question i assume that to be misplaced hope if im honest.

Good luck with your business and finances, i hope everything turns out fine for you.
edit on 7-1-2021 by andy06shake because: 46! Nope Im adding years on here LoL

new topics

top topics

join