It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

So Lets Talk about Virtual Reality

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 4 2021 @ 11:35 PM
link   
a reply to: worldstarcountry

Theres already a hand full of games that utilize such ideas... dig around on steam and you'll find some examples...

IF you know how to work with unity and C++ or C# you're in good shape to design something for what you're describing

Or you could just use Altspace

VR tech is solid for anything like that, and much more

edit on 4-1-2021 by Akragon because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 5 2021 @ 05:39 AM
link   
a reply to: Akragon

but you do need a FB account with legit details, fake accounts and wrong info have been getting people banned

It’s so they can tie it into your social credits next, enjoy your fake reality and new normal sheeple.

posted on Jan, 5 2021 @ 08:51 AM
link   

We got the Quest 2 for Christmas this year. Absolutely amazing!!! My first experience with VR and I just am loving it! I can see blowing my dough on games for this thing for some time to come. I like the puzzle type games and so far have only done The Room A Dark Matter. Loved that game and am sorry that I got through it so quickly... Hope I can find something I like half as much.

posted on Jan, 5 2021 @ 10:43 AM
link   

I have exactly zero experience with video games other than Asteroids and Pong. I do have some experience with VR though.

I think there's a lot of misunderstanding about what VR really is. Many people view VR as two different things. The first, in it's rawest form is truly a "virtual" or alternate reality where what you see really isn't there. The second is what I call point of view (POV) which, as an example, would be viewing video from another vantage point such as a drone or remote vehicle. Those are the two most common.

The technology we are using is the real cutting edge next generation of VR, and this is called "AR" or 'Augmented Reality', where the real world has computer generated structures, forms and objects superimposed on it, in 3 dimensions. Now that's some really cool stuff IMHO!!

ETA - And man-o-man, if you want to talk about a SERIOUS workload on a processor (or multiple processors), AR would be it!

edit on 1/5/2021 by Flyingclaydisk because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 5 2021 @ 11:50 AM
link   
a reply to: wtbengineer

Giver "superhot" a try... Theres a demo

One of the best First experiences for anyone in VR

posted on Jan, 5 2021 @ 12:12 PM
link   
Sadly, after many hours spent with VR, it started to make me dizzy. Kinda disappointed about that, but I suppose it is what it is.

I still follow the tech somewhat, since I think its very cool stuff

I guess Im in a non-gaming phase anyway. Though, I have been getting into lightweight PCs and micro PCs. Im currently building an all-in-one unit for digital painting.. Has an i7 9700T with a 15.6" pen display. We will see what the total weight will end up being.. and if it stays cool enough to be comfortable.

Just yesterday I gave a family member a suggested parts list for his first gaming PC though. Pretty excited about that! I almost gave him my 1070ti.. But Im not quite that nice

posted on Jan, 5 2021 @ 11:42 PM
link   
Beat saber is impressive. My highest score in Legend was 169,903 on hard until visiting family member (15yo girl) that never experienced vr trounced that with ease. So my ego has taken a battering. On leaving, I helped them place an order for their own quest 2.

Darth Vadar Immortal demostrates power of oculus xr2 gpu. I am finding that I use oculus 99% time untethered from pc. Glad I chose oculus instead waiting for reverb G2.

posted on Jan, 5 2021 @ 11:55 PM
link   

originally posted by: Akragon

Lets be honest here.... it has been the perfect time for VR to get big.

Yeah. I can also be honest. I thought VR was gonna get big somewhere around the middle of the nineties.

I did not have internet connection back then but i had these monthly magazines. Other one translated was simply "Games" And the other one "Microbit" The first focusing on PC games and the latter focusing on PC world in general. And there was SERIOUS HYPE about VR back then, at some point. Then it vanished somewhere and has returned during recent years.

I just bought playstation 4. When 5 was released, it got a price drop and i could finally afford it. It is not ps 4 pro, it is the regular. So i think for the time being, i am out of the VR world.

posted on Jan, 6 2021 @ 12:21 AM
link   
a reply to: MapOfNowhere

Well for the longest time you needed a crazy expensive pc to run VR... and games were crap

These days that isn't necessary... For high end games like Alyx its still required... but you don't have to play crazy high end games to have a fantastic experience in VR anymore

Even the oculus GO is a great little device... tons of great games, and you can get them super cheap now

VR has changed... Oculus did that... and yeah you need FB... that sucks... but VR is awesome now

Try it and you'll see

posted on Jan, 6 2021 @ 12:23 AM
link   
a reply to: glend

Try Superhot IF you haven't...

its very simple but still one of the best experiences... think Matrix

posted on Jan, 6 2021 @ 01:00 AM
link   

originally posted by: Akragon
a reply to: glend

Try Superhot IF you haven't...

its very simple but still one of the best experiences... think Matrix

Ok will do, ta

posted on Jan, 6 2021 @ 03:31 AM
link   
a reply to: MapOfNowhere

Oh hey... just to add to that...

IF you don't believe VR is for real... ask the people that FAIL in VR

I made a Nurse Cry a few days ago with Richies plank...

posted on Jan, 6 2021 @ 07:37 AM
link   

Thanks, I'll check it out. I tried Dreadhalls last night and it made me feel sick at my stomach. I'll try it again, I don't like wasting money, but disappointed about that...

posted on Jan, 6 2021 @ 02:03 PM
link   

Most people get over motion sickness with practice....

gotta grow them VR legs

posted on Jan, 6 2021 @ 02:19 PM
link   

Haha, I guess... And this is just walking, you have the ability to 'sprint' in this game... Don't think I'm ready for that!

posted on Jan, 6 2021 @ 02:22 PM
link   

Don't try roller coasters or flying for a while...lol

Might just be the enclosed space, or the speed of your turning.. most times that can be adjusted in game

posted on Jan, 7 2021 @ 07:01 AM
link   

Hey, thanks for the tips. I played again last night. Still sick. I'm not sure it's from the virtual motion inside the game, I'm beginning to think it may be something else. I used to watch a show about the Mutter Museum in Philadelphia whenever it would come on TV and I really wanted to go there for years. Well, I finally did, and the feeling of nausea I got walking around in there was the same as the feeling I get inside this game... Now I can't even watch the Mutter Museum on TV anymore, makes me feel sick... weird.

posted on Jan, 7 2021 @ 04:20 PM
link   

i'd suggest working with stationary games until you get used to VR... unfortunately some people are just prone to VR sickness... but it usually goes away with practice...

but the last thing you want is to be sick every time you play

posted on Jan, 8 2021 @ 09:03 AM
link   

You got that right! Thanks, I'll take your advice. I'm going to try a few different games and try to work myself up to the ones that require more mobility...

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join