It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Scotland goes into full lockdown, England to follow

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 4 2021 @ 01:22 PM
link   
covid19-r0.com...

Well looking at the Covid-19 Rt World Statistics [Updated on Mon Jan 04 2021] UK is pulling a 1.7 Ireland a 1.6 but just across the channel France is at 0.8 and Belgium at 1.8, how is it countries so close together have such different numbers, is it testing and counting methods or is France just that much better. Or is it more likely just random as viruses are? All the while the US is collectively 1.3 the same as locked up tight Germany.

As our world leaders have de-evolved into a monkey see monkey do, I sure we can expect the same or worse expanded throughout the US.

Even though the UK site still has it at a 1.3? coronavirus.data.gov.uk...

www.tribuneindia.com...

London, January 4

Scotland on Monday announced a tougher stay-at-home lockdown for the month of January to try and control the rapid spread of a new variant of coronavirus, as UK Prime Minister Boris Johnson said that there was “no question we're going to have to take tougher measures” in England.

The devolved administrations of the United Kingdom set their individual levels of restrictions but most of the country was already under the tough Tier 4 lockdown measures, requiring all non-essential retail to shut down and also a ban on different households mixing.

However, Scotland First Minister Nicola Sturgeon reconvened the Scottish Parliament on Monday to declare that from midnight, new laws will require everyone in Scotland to stay at home and work from home where possible.
edit on 4-1-2021 by putnam6 because: (no reason given)

+10 more 
posted on Jan, 4 2021 @ 01:25 PM
link   

originally posted by: putnam6
covid19-r0.com...
to try and control the rapid spread of a new variant of coronavirus,

There is still not a single piece of evidence that shows lockdown are effective at this.

posted on Jan, 4 2021 @ 01:28 PM
link   
a reply to: putnam6
The trouble with scotland

posted on Jan, 4 2021 @ 01:30 PM
link   

originally posted by: shooterbrody
a reply to: putnam6
The trouble with scotland

No, the problem with Scotland is it's ruled from Westminster.

I'm glad Nicola has done this, BawJaws is incompetent.

+4 more 
posted on Jan, 4 2021 @ 01:34 PM
link   
a reply to: djz3ro

the problem with Scotland is it's ruled from Westminster.

Priceless comment coming from someone who opposed Brexit. Those who voted leave didn't want to be ruled by Brussels. You where ok with that though.

posted on Jan, 4 2021 @ 01:43 PM
link   

originally posted by: PurpleFox

originally posted by: putnam6
covid19-r0.com...
to try and control the rapid spread of a new variant of coronavirus,

There is still not a single piece of evidence that shows lockdown are effective at this.

I pretty much agree with that as well, but that is kind of the point of the thread, Then what makes the difference? Is it more than one factor?

Are tea and crumpet Brits in the Swinging City, more susceptible than the wine Connoisseurs of the city of light?
edit on 4-1-2021 by putnam6 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 4 2021 @ 01:47 PM
link   

Boris Johnson is incompetent and has seriously mis-managed the governments response to this pandemic.
And as much as I dislike Nicola Sturgeon and her politics I have to say she's managed things far better than Boris.

But the one thing this outbreak has shown is just how much Scotland is in control of its own affairs.

I have absolutely no respect for the vast majority of those who infest Westminster and our current party political system but I'd really like to hear how you think Westminster is somehow responsible for anything relating to Covid-19 in Scotland?

It really is time to stop blaming Westminster for anything and everything that happens in Scotland.

posted on Jan, 4 2021 @ 01:53 PM
link   
a reply to: PurpleFox

There is still not a single piece of evidence that shows lockdown are effective at this

Then pray tell what is effective?

And could you please explain exactly why they aren't effective?

I really am not convinced that total lockdown is justified or effective.....but no-one has yet to convince me of an alternative approach.

posted on Jan, 4 2021 @ 01:56 PM
link   

originally posted by: alldaylong

the problem with Scotland is it's ruled from Westminster.

Priceless comment coming from someone who opposed Brexit. Those who voted leave didn't want to be ruled by Brussels. You where ok with that though.

Scotland and England had a very different relationship with the EU and most people don't realise that.

Besides I'm not saying we need to leave the UK and rejoin the EU, leaving the UK is enough for me.

That being said rejoining should be an option.

posted on Jan, 4 2021 @ 02:00 PM
link   

originally posted by: Freeborn

Boris Johnson is incompetent and has seriously mis-managed the governments response to this pandemic.
And as much as I dislike Nicola Sturgeon and her politics I have to say she's managed things far better than Boris.

But the one thing this outbreak has shown is just how much Scotland is in control of its own affairs.

I have absolutely no respect for the vast majority of those who infest Westminster and our current party political system but I'd really like to hear how you think Westminster is somehow responsible for anything relating to Covid-19 in Scotland?

It really is time to stop blaming Westminster for anything and everything that happens in Scotland.

I'm not blaming England for Covid (though BawJaws and his herd Immunity scheme didn't help anything)

I'm aware the Coronavirus response (which, as you say, has been better than that of England) is at the hands of our devolved parliament, I wasn't suggesting otherwise.

Westminster isn't to blame for everything wrong in Scotland but it is certainly holding us back somewhat.

posted on Jan, 4 2021 @ 02:04 PM
link   
Turnkeys for the Turkeys again. LoL

Ah well its not like it was not on the horizon.

Here we go again lets hope Nicolarse and Boris Nonsense can get it right this time around.

Then again chance would be a fine thing indeed.
edit on 4-1-2021 by andy06shake because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 4 2021 @ 02:06 PM
link   

There is still not a single piece of evidence that shows lockdown are effective at this

I really am not convinced that total lockdown is justified or effective.....but no-one has yet to convince me of an alternative approach.

In the past, the long long ago, we used to stay home if we were sick, drink fluids and get rest. And that was good, until it wasn't. Now, we must shutter the nation, hide in our cottages, and then wonder why we have the completely idiotic look on our faces three month later, when the lock downs are lifted and folks are getting sick again. Almost as if the #ing virus just waited for us.

And the kicker is, when we were all hiding away from this horrible death monster, we still got sick then too. In fact, things stayed much the same either way. But, lockdowns has such a cool ring to them, I think it will make for much better stories.

BE WELL!

posted on Jan, 4 2021 @ 02:11 PM
link   

So, what was the point of your post criticising Westminster in a thread about Nicola Sturgeon announcing a Scottish lockdown?

Absolutely no relevance at all and as far as I can tell its yet another attempt at turning anything and everything into a Scottish independence issue.
It's boring and it certainly detracts from the whole independence argument.

posted on Jan, 4 2021 @ 02:23 PM
link   
a reply to: andy06shake

The only thing I can discern from this for definite is that Boris and his gang have learnt # all from events last March.

I was foolishly prepared to give him the benefit of the doubt back then - there were very few modern day precedents for him to learn from - but it seems to me he lacks even the most basic skills to manage something like this.
The man is completely out of his depth.

Sturgeon may not have done much better.....but it has to be acknowledged she has coped marginally better and seems more equipped to cope with the harsh realities surrounding the outbreak.

I have no idea what the best approach is and I'm confused.

Someone kindly gave me a bottle of Jack Daniels over Christmas, I wonder if the answer is at the bottom of that bottle?

posted on Jan, 4 2021 @ 02:24 PM
link   
a reply to: shooterbrody

I hate to break to you shooterbrody, but so is America, and the rest of the civilised world for that matter.

We get about you see.

posted on Jan, 4 2021 @ 02:27 PM
link   
a reply to: Freeborn

It's a crap show Freeborn.

We are waiting on tests coming again for the 4 of us.

I was right bad for about 48 hours, Mrs is about 72 hours in and still on her arse poor soul.

Might just be the cold or normal flu all the same.

Anyhoo.

posted on Jan, 4 2021 @ 02:38 PM
link   

We apparently have a vaccine now, have you heard? Should be pretty effective....

OPEN THE GD COUNTRY

posted on Jan, 4 2021 @ 02:42 PM
link   
a reply to: andy06shake

Rooting for you and the family mate.

It's hard explaining to some people what its like not knowing whether you or a loved one has the bloody thing or not.

The wilful ignorance shown by many also defies logic.

As I've said, I'm not entirely convinced about the need or efficacy of a full national lockdown but basic common sense social distancing practices seem wise to me.

I really hope everything's ok.

posted on Jan, 4 2021 @ 02:43 PM
link   

So, what was the point of your post criticising Westminster in a thread about Nicola Sturgeon announcing a Scottish lockdown?

Absolutely no relevance at all and as far as I can tell its yet another attempt at turning anything and everything into a Scottish independence issue.
It's boring and it certainly detracts from the whole independence argument.

Did you not see the video I was responding to? The one where Edward Longshanks in Braveheart says "The problem with Scotland is that it's full of Scots" I responded accordingly, it was off topic but so was the video (I know, I know, two wrongs don't make a right...)

posted on Jan, 4 2021 @ 02:51 PM
link   

We apparently have a vaccine now, have you heard? Should be pretty effective....

Get away, honest?

So, who's going to get it, when, where and how?
Who's going to administer the vaccines?

How long will it take to manufacture all those doses?

Whilst they are figuring those things out - granted, they should be further down that road than they seem to be - do we just return to 'normal' and bollocks to the consequences?

<<   2  3  4 >>

join