It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

time for a change...overturn congress

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 29 2020 @ 10:24 PM
link   
i think its time we overturn congress.

since they wont enact term limits on themselves, we need to do it for them.

heres a few suggestions on how to do that.

never vote for an incumbent. if your party wont primary the congress person, vote for the opponent (or against the incumbent) in the next election.

start petitions in your state to set term limits on their representatives.

congress was never supposed to be a lifetime job.

btw, i think the term limits should be 2 for senate (12 years) and 6 for the house (also 12 years). thats a good, solid 24 years for a really good politician.

posted on Dec, 29 2020 @ 10:38 PM
link   
Agree, but if the are the S$its then get them out sooner.

posted on Dec, 29 2020 @ 10:48 PM
link   
a reply to: stormson

What if the incumbent is a better choice? I don't advocate arbitrary vote schemes...how about vote for the best representative. And if there isn't one...either run or don't vote. I know common sense isn't very popular these days...

posted on Dec, 29 2020 @ 10:48 PM
link   
Great ideas. I would add that their income and finances should be public record and if they somehow have a house they can't afford, or a car, then then they should be investigated just like we would. The corruption has become so commonplace that people have accepted it as "normal" political behavior. It is not acceptable.

posted on Dec, 29 2020 @ 10:51 PM
link   

The supreme court justices also need term limits. That is epitome of retarded

posted on Dec, 29 2020 @ 11:04 PM
link   
a reply to: RickyD

Doesn't matter who the best choice is.

The purpose is to establish term limits, and/or put the fear of the voter back into them.

posted on Dec, 29 2020 @ 11:06 PM
link   
a reply to: TheAlleghenyGentleman

For the scotus I would be in favor of one 30 year term. Long enough to leave your mark on history without over staying your welcome.

posted on Dec, 29 2020 @ 11:09 PM
link   

I really think that is still too long. I think closer to 20 would be best. 30 years is a long long time to control the future of law. 20 gives you 15 strong years and a good five year wind down.
edit on 29-12-2020 by TheAlleghenyGentleman because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 30 2020 @ 01:11 AM
link   
Suggestions are great and all in a free society. What happens when there is no longer a free society?

posted on Dec, 30 2020 @ 01:23 AM
link   

I really question the validity of voting. not only in this election but congress is constantly having low public approval rating yet they continue to be re elected for 3 ,4 or more decades until literally they die in office.

It all stinks and not sure voting is really going to make a difference in getting term limits.

I think it would be better for people to start to focus on their OWN party and hold them accountable versus focusing on the OTHER party where they don't have any influence.

Dont let your party msm and party itself, tell you what issues are important. tell them to STFU and only work on reducing conflict of interest
edit on 371231America/ChicagoWed, 30 Dec 2020 01:37:30 -0600000000p3142 by interupt42 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 30 2020 @ 01:26 AM
link   

originally posted by: musicismagic
Agree, but if the are the S$its then get them out sooner.

Can a member of Congress be recalled and replaced by citizens of the district?

posted on Dec, 30 2020 @ 01:30 AM
link   

Well that's pretty dumb...and I don't mind saying so...next time use your brain.

posted on Dec, 30 2020 @ 01:36 AM
link   

originally posted by: RickyD

Well that's pretty dumb...and I don't mind saying so...next time use your brain.

stormson said "Doesn't matter who the best choice is. The purpose is to establish term limits, and/or put the fear of the voter back into them."
"For the scotus I would be in favor of one 30 year term. Long enough to leave your mark on history without over staying your welcome. "

RickyD is pretty spot on.
edit on 30-12-2020 by CopeLongCut because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 30 2020 @ 04:01 AM
link   

Good idea! Now all you have to do is figure out a way to force useful idiots to not vote. Keep us updates on your efforts and good luck.

posted on Dec, 30 2020 @ 05:09 AM
link   

Call me Cassandra, but the last five years have shown us that people are easily convinced to vote against their own best interests.

posted on Dec, 30 2020 @ 05:57 AM
link   

originally posted by: TheAlleghenyGentleman

The supreme court justices also need term limits. That is epitome of retarded

Either that or a mandatory retirement age.

I can think of recent SCOTUS justices appointed by /both/ parties that outlived their capacity for effective adjudication.

posted on Dec, 30 2020 @ 06:13 AM
link   
It will take people forcefully removing them to change the rules. Hell they have made bribes for them and them alone legal. Sexual assault, rape, harassment? Legal for them. They even set aside our money for it. They collect our money, give it to other countries and they give a portion back to them, all legal.

The only way to fix it is a complete overthrow and executions on the capital. But it’s nice to dream on sites like this one.

posted on Dec, 30 2020 @ 06:21 AM
link   

Do away with career politicians altogether, they can be replaced by members of the public like what happens with a jury service.

posted on Dec, 30 2020 @ 06:48 AM
link   
With the speed things move at these days, I wonder if 12 years is too long? We’re not the same society we were 10 years ago, that’s for sure. At the same time, I wonder if continually swapping out the not-so-old for the really new would be detrimental or not.

There’s certainly a few things I’d like to see Congress concede to, as they serve our country. I think taking a position in Congress should be very similar to joining the armed services; you’re doing it to serve our country, not to make yourself a millionaire.

You get an audit at the start, middle and end of your service as a congressman/woman. The *only* other money you are allowed to take in is if you already owned a business before running and yep, that business will get audited too.

I don’t know enough about stocks/stock market to formulate a plan or approach I’d prefer congress took, but there’s got to be something that actually works as far as stopping these people from selling/buying because they’ve got insider information. The law clearly doesn’t work.

You don’t see our veterans coming back from overseas as millionaires, no one signs up for the army to become rich. Political positions should purely be viewed as a service to our country and nothing more.

posted on Dec, 30 2020 @ 06:53 AM
link   
a reply to: CopeLongCut

What happens when there is no longer a free society?

Well, we are finding out currently, IMHO.

I would hazard that we already lost our free society.... gradually, starting from some time ago.

Term limits could help bring a free society back. They certainly couldn't hurt so much.
edit on 30-12-2020 by Fowlerstoad because: (no reason given)

top topics

<<   2 >>

join