It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

20 votes for upgrade???

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 18 2005 @ 08:11 PM
link   
20 votes for an ATSNN story upgrade???

i thought it was 10???

hmmm...

posted on Mar, 18 2005 @ 08:15 PM
link   
It was ten votes the last time I posted a story, earlier tonight, maybe 5 or 6 o'clock eastern time. I don't think it's changed..

Do you have a story that's not getting upgraded after ten votes?

posted on Mar, 18 2005 @ 08:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by WyrdeOne
It was ten votes the last time I posted a story, earlier tonight, maybe 5 or 6 o'clock eastern time. I don't think it's changed..

Do you have a story that's not getting upgraded after ten votes?

no but on this thread:

www.abovetopsecret.com...

look under where you vote...

posted on Mar, 18 2005 @ 08:22 PM
link   
Interesting.
This I guess is a way to get a higher quality of published storys I guess.
However it would give more power to the people who vote no all the time.

posted on Mar, 18 2005 @ 08:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by Umbrax
Interesting.

exactly...

SO any info on this???

the new rules of voting are posted but can you (SO) explain why???

posted on Mar, 18 2005 @ 08:26 PM
link   
10 is a good number, 15 is pushing it, but 20, thats going to be tough.
Im sure its only for the better. I bet we will see a higher quality of news. I think more people need to know about it. When I first became a member I had no idea why you had to vote for it. I never wanted to do it because I didnt know and didnt want to ask. Maybe the only people that vote are the only people that have submitted news before and/or just know about it.
my 2 cents

[edit on 18-3-2005 by Event Horizon]

posted on Mar, 18 2005 @ 08:27 PM
link   
It really surprises me that the rules were changed without notifying members, usually ATS is really good about that. Try hammering out a few U2Us and let us know what sort of response you get.

That's so wierd...

posted on Mar, 18 2005 @ 08:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by they see ALL

Originally posted by Umbrax
Interesting.

exactly...

SO any info on this???

the new rules of voting are posted but can you (SO) explain why???

I find that odd since I posted a story about two hours ago and it only took 10 points. I did check for other submissions and one posted far earlier then mine has the same note as yours did and mine did not. You might want to ask a mod.

posted on Mar, 18 2005 @ 08:30 PM
link   
There has been some discussion related to what seems to be a significant decrease in story quality. We know there is no way we can compete with "the big guns" of other news sites on pure quality of writing/stories... that's a given. But we can certainly compete on the merits of our unique take on important news.

It seems that nearly anything is submitted and quickly upgraded. For example these ATSNN stories possibly should not be on ATSNN:

Ending the Dark Days

NEWS: 5 Year Old Girl Arrested, Handcuffed Following Outburst

Bush Pushes to Limit Class-Action Suits
Doctors Remove Terry Schiavo's Feeding Tube
Registered Sex Offender Admits Killing Fla. Girl
Zimbabwe Upholds Diaspora Vote Ban
British soldier awarded the Victoria Cross

Some examples of topics that perhaps would be better off in a forum.

Please remember, ATS is a news portal by the members of a conspiracy-theory website! Let's focus on the news that matters to the type of members we attract.

Many stories have achieved 10 votes pretty fast (5 minutes in some cases). That's great, but I think maybe we can focus a little more on the kind of stories that make sense for us... and perhaps 20 votes will help the best of the best.

The changes to ATSNN are a work in progress. We'll see how this goes, and make additional adjustments as needed.

posted on Mar, 18 2005 @ 08:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by WyrdeOne
It really surprises me that the rules were changed without notifying members, usually ATS is really good about that. Try hammering out a few U2Us and let us know what sort of response you get.

That's so wierd...

wow...

mods ARE slow

posted on Mar, 18 2005 @ 08:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by shots
I find that odd since I posted a story about two hours ago and it only took 10 points. I did check for other submissions and one posted far earlier then mine has the same note as yours did and mine did not. You might want to ask a mod.

Oh? So its 20 yes votes for only some storys?

posted on Mar, 18 2005 @ 08:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by shots

The change only came into effect in the last 30 minutes or so I believe.

posted on Mar, 18 2005 @ 08:33 PM
link   
thank you SO for the info...

i liked 10 votes but what the hell...

i love a challenge...

posted on Mar, 18 2005 @ 09:00 PM
link   
I wonder if people are voting on the story as a news story versus a story worthy of ATSNN?
Not every interesting item you find on the Internet is important enough for ATSNN. But then, some of the articles submitted by ATSNN reporters....well....I would have voted "NO"

posted on Mar, 18 2005 @ 09:42 PM
link   
i think that 20 is going to be a little hard but we will get it i hope

posted on Mar, 19 2005 @ 06:15 AM
link   

Originally posted by SkepticOverlord
But we can certainly compete on the merits of our unique take on important news.
-----
Some examples of topics that perhaps would be better off in a forum.
------
Please remember, ATS is a news portal by the members of a conspiracy-theory website! Let's focus on the news that matters to the type of members we attract.

I really think this needs to be more clearly defined. How about some examples of the ones that do merit ATSNN, and a list of criteria to consider prior to posting as to whether or not it should be submitted at all or merely posted on the boards.

I also agree with DontTreadOnMe in that after seeing your examples of submissions that may not be up to par, I would have to say that some of the ATS Reporters aren't clear on the standards either.

I think there may be a fine line of perception here that will vary from person to person. In cases of some news items that may not be specifically conspiracy related, but are ongoing events (like last years hurricanes and the recent tsunami), ATS was able to stay more on top of the situation minute to minute due to the global nature of the community and therefore was more effective reporting (and more accurate) than could be acquired through the traditional outlets. I think this type of reporting was invaluable, even though not specifically conspiracy related. On the other hand, things like the Michael Jackson trial was a good call to keep out of the actual news boards since it is overly covered in the mainstream media and really of no value to ATS.

We need a little more guidance/criteria and also need to have all members held to the same standards, regardless of thier titles.

[edit on 3/19/2005 by Relentless]

posted on Mar, 19 2005 @ 06:38 AM
link   
SkepticOverload,

A couple of the threads you listed as not newsworthy were created by someone who is/was an ATSNN reporter, so raising the number of votes wouldn't help keep those stories out.

posted on Mar, 19 2005 @ 07:56 AM
link   
Just because someone has ATSNN under their name doesn't necessarily make them a reporter (someone who can post ATSNN stories directly)
the new ATSNN you see under people's names means they are contributer, there were guidelines that depending on how many quality submissions, etc that sort stuff, before someone was asked to be a reporter, now it isn't quite like that anymore, at the title is given to someone with has a certain number of stories upgraded

new topics

top topics

join