It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Bill just passsed will amend the Insurrection Act

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 22 2020 @ 07:39 PM
link   
a reply to: LookingAtMars

been looking at it since you posted the passage of the covid bill. these are two different ones it seems.

The House defense authorization bill, H.R. 6395, passed by a vote of 295-125 on July 21. Some aspects of the bill have prompted a veto threat from the White House.

The Senate version of the bill, S. 4049, doesn’t currently include the sanctions provisions affecting Turkey. Idaho Republican Jim Risch, the chairman of the Foreign Relations Committee, has introduced a similar amendment, but it’s unclear whether the Senate would take it up.

House Presses Trump to Sanction Turkey Over Russian Missiles

H.R.6395 -it's part of National Defense Authorization Act for Fiscal Year 2021

edit on 22-12-2020 by hounddoghowlie because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 22 2020 @ 07:52 PM
link   

Covid Relief Bill vetoed.
Trump wants Pork out...$2,000 per American citizen.
edit on 22-12-2020 by IAMTAT because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 22 2020 @ 07:57 PM
link   
a reply to: IAMTAT

Yea, he ripped into em pretty good!

posted on Dec, 22 2020 @ 07:57 PM
link   

originally posted by: hounddoghowlie

been looking at it since you posted the passage of the covid bill. these are two different ones it seems.

The House defense authorization bill, H.R. 6395, passed by a vote of 295-125 on July 21. Some aspects of the bill have prompted a veto threat from the White House.

The Senate version of the bill, S. 4049, doesn’t currently include the sanctions provisions affecting Turkey. Idaho Republican Jim Risch, the chairman of the Foreign Relations Committee, has introduced a similar amendment, but it’s unclear whether the Senate would take it up.

I have been trying to figure that out too.

It looks like they took a bill that was out there and added it into the mix.

posted on Dec, 22 2020 @ 07:58 PM
link   
I truly do look forward to the founding of the Trump Party.

We need it now more than ever.

posted on Dec, 22 2020 @ 08:02 PM
link   

originally posted by: hounddoghowlie

Thanks for finding that.

posted on Dec, 22 2020 @ 08:35 PM
link   

your welcome.

still trying to figure out if the amendment would have to be ratified. it seems to me that the U.S. code is part of the Constitution.

but it also seems that a law/codes can be amended without ratification

posted on Dec, 22 2020 @ 09:08 PM
link   

originally posted by: seeker1963
a reply to: IAMTAT

Yea, he ripped into em pretty good!

He did rightfully so. The monies slated for foreign countries alone were obscene and in the Kennedy Center and Smithsonian etc. To throw that in this bill is asinine as well. All of that can be addressed later with a different congress, fook them cause they are surely been fooking the public and are trying to do so again. So sick of riders attached to bills it's the bane of our political system as much as lobbyists.

posted on Dec, 22 2020 @ 09:31 PM
link   
Pelosi is already taking credit for Trump pushing for $2000+

posted on Dec, 22 2020 @ 09:36 PM
link   
a reply to: hounddoghowlie

it seems to me that the U.S. code is part of the Constitution.

It isn't.
The U.S. Code consists of Federal statutes. Changing the U.S. Code (adding to it, amending it, deleting from it) is done by a majority vote of House and Senate.
www.usa.gov...

While the laws in the Code must comply with the Constitution, they are not the Constitution.
www.law.cornell.edu...
edit on 12/22/2020 by Phage because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 22 2020 @ 09:52 PM
link   
a reply to: Irishhaf

If I were put in that situation, I would vote no every time. I would not agree to something without being given proper time to review what I am agreeing to, so shame on any of them that voted for it.

posted on Dec, 22 2020 @ 10:02 PM
link   
a reply to: notquiteright

Congress has not actually been functional for quite a while. Ever more less so, as time goes on.

edit on 12/22/2020 by Phage because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 23 2020 @ 01:03 AM
link   

originally posted by: notquiteright
a reply to: Irishhaf

If I were put in that situation, I would vote no every time. I would not agree to something without being given proper time to review what I am agreeing to, so shame on any of them that voted for it.

... and then you don't get the committee assignements, you don't get to author legislation, you not only don't get the help of the party with your reelection, they primary you out ...

posted on Dec, 23 2020 @ 06:12 AM
link   
Do the liberals know something forthcoming that we don't ?

posted on Dec, 23 2020 @ 06:14 AM
link   

originally posted by: Gothmog
Do the liberals know something forthcoming that we don't ?

Oh God, give me strength in this dark hour of temptation ...

Do they know something about what?

posted on Dec, 23 2020 @ 06:52 AM
link   
Dont YOU wish you had Democracy!
to stop this kind of thing?

posted on Dec, 23 2020 @ 07:50 AM
link   

originally posted by: buddha
Dont YOU wish you had Democracy!
to stop this kind of thing?

Americans have a Republic, not a democracy per se.

And so far, knock on wood, our Constitution and rule-of-law have sustained an attack from the President of the United States and his co-conspirators.

I'd say America is working as intended.

posted on Dec, 23 2020 @ 08:55 AM
link   

originally posted by: Gryphon66
I truly do look forward to the founding of the Trump Party.

We need it now more than ever.

The Democrats would love a Trump Party.

posted on Dec, 23 2020 @ 08:56 AM
link   

originally posted by: wdkirk
Good to know. Now the president can’t do anything without congress approval. Police action it is.

Ok, so... I couldn't find the actual text, but from the description so far, it doesn't prevent the President from doing anything, nor does it require Congressional 'authorization or approval' - he merely must inform them - or at least I guess that is what is meant by 'require certifications be made to Congress'...

Anyone have the actual text?

posted on Dec, 23 2020 @ 09:00 AM
link   
The problem with this mucking around is that serious events of history would have changed.

President Eisenhower federalizing the Arkansas National Guard after the Governor activated them. Only the Gov. did so to enforce segregation at gunpoint. Ike belayed those illegal orders and instead enforced integration of the Little Rock Nine by holding the violently angry mobs at bay.

Angry mobs conducting violence in opposition of the law is the very definition of insurrection. Very similar to rioters.

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join