It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NEWS: Registered Sex Offender Admits Killing Fla. Girl

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 18 2005 @ 06:26 PM
link   
Earlier today, John Evander Couey confessed to killing a nine-year-old Florida girl after taking a lie detector test. Jessica Lunsford's body has not yet been found, but Couey gave them a general area to search. Florida Police are now searching the immediate area of Couey's half-sisters home located just 150 yards from Jessica's home.

news.yahoo.com
A registered sex offender has admitted kidnapping a 9-year-old Florida girl from her home last month and killing her, authorities said Friday.

I've got my man," Citrus County Sheriff Jeff Dawsy told a news conference.

Dawsy said John Evander Couey confessed to investigators after taking a lie-detector test. The sheriff said Jessica Lunsford's body had not been found, but Couey gave them a general area to search.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

Given the recent events where killings like this have taken place, it shows that our American system of tracking registered sex offenders needs to be improved dramatically. Just how they can improve it I am not sure, but I think that perhaps some form of tracking device should be called for.

I realize that many may see this as a form of big brother taking control, but what do you do considering the fact that it is very common for sex offenders who have been convicted to repeat the same offense once released.

I assume in this case he may get the death penalty, but that is not an issue. The issue is, what do we do with those that are only sentenced for only a few years?

[edit on 3/18/2005 by shots]

posted on Mar, 18 2005 @ 06:28 PM
link   
The sick scumbag.
May he rot in hell.

posted on Mar, 18 2005 @ 06:36 PM
link   
A tracking device will not stop a predator from attacking someone. Even if they become the first to be chipped it will still not keep them from doing the terrible things that they do.

As I see it we have two options. Cage them for life or give them a scarlet letter.

Caging them for life would be met with allot of legal wrangling.

Put a tattoo in the middle of their forhead would be our best bet. At least then the people who meet this person will automaticly know and be warned that this person is a sicko and not to be trusted. If you can't stop them you can at the very least warn the people who cross their paths.

Ah well, I guess this should be left to better minds then my own.

Love and light,

Wupy

posted on Mar, 18 2005 @ 06:42 PM
link   
nevermind this.....

[edit on 18-3-2005 by Jestaman]

posted on Mar, 18 2005 @ 06:44 PM
link   
What Jesta? This guy didn't rape her? You say all rape victims deserve it...

ANyways, DAMN IT I POSTED THIS 3 MINUTES AFTER YOU! Good catch.
No hard feelings.

posted on Mar, 18 2005 @ 06:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by mrwupy
A tracking device will not stop a predator from attacking someone. Even if they become the first to be chipped it will still not keep them from doing the terrible things that they do.
Wupy

Neither would a tattoo, but it sure as hell would make them think twice knowing the police were tracking their every move.

posted on Mar, 18 2005 @ 06:47 PM
link   
The repeat offence rate is way to scary with these predators. Even items like Meghan's law still do not help. A longer term solution needs to be founds

posted on Mar, 18 2005 @ 08:23 PM
link   
The sad thing is this guy probably wouldn't have admitted to this crime if they wouldn't have made him think the lie detector results were incriminating. This type of criminal is, in my opinion, the most frightening for he has shown no remorse and actually seemed to be enjoying life during this time. It's definitely an awful conclusion to this sad story.

posted on Mar, 18 2005 @ 08:35 PM
link   
There's one easy, and simple solution. Castration.

posted on Mar, 18 2005 @ 08:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by shots

Given the recent events where killings like this have taken place, it shows that our American system of tracking registered sex offenders needs to be improved dramatically. Just how they can improve it I am not sure, but I think that perhaps some form of tracking device should be called for.

I don't even know why we are allowing sex offenders such as this one to walk free... i really don't... anyone rapes a child even once, or do any other nasty acts with a child, and imo that person should be shot right there, not exceptions, if or buts. That's my opinion.

[edit on 18-3-2005 by Muaddib]

posted on Mar, 18 2005 @ 09:40 PM
link   
This is just to sad to understand, real criminals are allowed to roam our streets free, we are fighting terrorism but the real terrorist to our children in our own soil are hasn't been taken care off.

I followed the story of the littler girl since the beginning because she looks like my niece when she was that age.

[edit on 18-3-2005 by marg6043]

posted on Mar, 19 2005 @ 12:38 AM
link   
Has anyone heard if he has told where her body can be found?
There is something awfull fishy about this case. How the heck did he get inside that mobile home without making any noise? How come that dog did'nt bark? And i'm not real sure about anyone else here, but I have a funny feeling that they have'nt found her body because she was taken away in the white van with the other two people. I have this strange feeling that she may not be dead. But then it could be because i'm a parent and have prayed so hard for her.
God Bless All

posted on Mar, 19 2005 @ 01:07 AM
link   

Originally posted by Disturbed Deliverer
There's one easy, and simple solution. Castration.

I agree. Lets be totally logical and realistic here. Enough with the bs about criminals rights and cruelty and all that other bs. If you castrate these people they will never be able to commit these crimes again. Give them a choice either life without parole or castration. This does not apply to this scumbag though he deserves life in prison in the general population. He wont last very long and he will die very painfully at the hands of other murderers that actually have some morals.

Castration will save these people from themselves and mabe they could actually lead somewhat of a normal life by being able to use the brain in their head rather then let their impulses totally take over their decision making. And if not then phuck em, let them go kill themselves because they are no longer biologically men.

One last time, this scumbag deserves to die very painfully, and it should be at the hands of the father of that innocent little girl. I am a father and I actually cried a little when I saw the father on the news begging for his daughter`s return. I almost felt his gut wrenching pain. I felt like I was there, but only for like 10 minutes, while he has to spend the rest of his life without his daughter.

Cases like this should best be left for the surviving parents to decide. If he says he wants him tortured slowly, I say let him call the shots. This would be real closure. And again this scumbag deserves nothing bu the worst. He will rot in hell but lets give him a proper sendoff, kind of like a preview of whats to come.

posted on Mar, 19 2005 @ 01:12 AM
link   
We should be more careful here, if the solution was easy, it would be found a long time ago. A lot of you seem to be preaching extreme solutions.

Ok, what about cases like this;

A 18-year old has consensual sex with an 16-year old, but is convicted of statutory rape. Are you going to castrate him as well?

posted on Mar, 19 2005 @ 01:27 AM
link   
A 18-year old has consensual sex with an 16-year old, but is convicted of statutory rape. Are you going to castrate him as well?

Nope!
He would not deserve to have his thingy cut off, just jailed cuz his butt knew better. Never play with jail bait!
But at the same time her butt would need to be locked up as well. Teach her lita self a lesson too!!!
Just my too pennies

posted on Mar, 19 2005 @ 01:55 AM
link   

Originally posted by rapier28
We should be more careful here, if the solution was easy, it would be found a long time ago. A lot of you seem to be preaching extreme solutions.

Ok, what about cases like this;

Thats a little absurd to even remark. You are going to compare two teenagers having sex to a 50 year old man raping and killing a nine year old girl? Wtf is wrong with you to even make such a comparison? If you dont see my point then its because of people like you that we need 100 laws for 1 crime. People really need to use common sense. Its like saying if abortion were illegal and we knew of someone who was actually impregnated by aliens and there was no doubt that that child alien was going to kill everyone. What the hell do we do? Common sense, c`mon your comparison is almost sick.

posted on Mar, 19 2005 @ 05:10 AM
link   
Castration alone will not stop the "urges" these people get to do something such as this but it is a good starting place. People such as this man have been engageing in such perverted things generally most of their life. Simply by removing the mans balls will not stop such behavior. Along with that action I think people who show a proclivity of this nature need to be "re-programed" Wouldn't it be nice if doctors could get inside the mind of a pevert and just throw a switch so to say, that would turn off any and all desires to engage in activity such as this. I know there are many meds. out there that claim to do just so. Deprovera(I think the spelling is right) is designed to help control the urge to do perverted acts, but it does not eliminate all the urges. I feel as long as there is an urge, there is a high probability of that someone will act out on it. And if you look at treatment in another light, the cheapest and fastest way to prevent 100% of people who do unspeakable acts with children would be to put a bullet behind the ear of the pervert. That will stop someone from doing acts such as this topic.

posted on Mar, 19 2005 @ 10:23 AM
link   
If they can't get aroused by this stuff, they won't do it. They lose every motiviation they could have for doing it.

posted on Mar, 19 2005 @ 10:33 AM
link   
Jessica's body was found this morning, just 150 yds from her home. Yet another inocent child dies. I said a prayer for her this morning.
It amasss me how sick some people are. Her father is going live soon, reported by MSNBC. He is on now- and says Jesse is home now- so sad. He also said to be sure to hug and kiss your child, he said that he did-

posted on Mar, 19 2005 @ 12:04 PM
link   
There was one thing in the original story that disturbed me very much and that was the fact he had told others the police might be looking for him. They should have turned him in immeidately.

But this mornings story shows they also got their do when they were also arrested and charged.

Dawsy said Couey's half-sister and two other people were charged with obstruction for failing to notify police when Couey allegedly told them he had committed a crime. A fourth, the sheriff said, was picked up for questioning in the case but was charged only with failure to pay child support in an unrelated matter.

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join