It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Want the Good news???...or the Bad news?? REALLY BAD day!

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:
+6 more 
posted on Dec, 21 2020 @ 05:56 PM
link   
So, do you want the good news or the bad news?

The "good news", you say? Okay....There IS NO good news!!!! Well, there are no broken bones. **shrug** I guess that's good.

The "bad news"...my right shoulder is destroyed. Plain and simple. Three of the four tendons in the shoulder are torn, one of them completely severed. My bicep is in the wrong place, and my whole shoulder is just completely cratered. Total Rotator Cuff destruction, completely destroyed.

Scheduled for reconstructive surgery in early January. "Can I wipe my butt with my right hand???"...NOPE! Better learn to be left handed, and better start right now, was my orthopod's advice! Won't be able to move my right arm up, push or pull for 6 months. Completely immobile for 12 weeks.

Honestly, I think I have to find religion, or Zen, or something....because I honestly don't think I can do this. I run cattle for cripes sakes. I can't live without my right arm before 6am, let alone all day, for weeks, or months.

They say it will take 6-8 MONTHS to heal!! I will be in an a insane asylum by then.

Told my wife tonight I need religion. I need something better than me. Maybe I need Zen or Yoga, or something, but honestly, I'm not ready. Not EVEN ready!

posted on Dec, 21 2020 @ 06:03 PM
link   
a reply to: Flyingclaydisk

A bidet is your friend.

posted on Dec, 21 2020 @ 06:08 PM
link   

That sounds dreadful! How'd it happen?

But luckily you have a wife cause trying to snake wrangle with the ole lefty is akin to poking a stuck kite out of a tree with a hose. Can be done, but you'll be sweaty, frustrated and covered in muck.

Get well soon!

posted on Dec, 21 2020 @ 06:10 PM
link   

If you want to rely in religion to solve your problem, you have 2 problems.

Pray for faith and let God decide for you, don't tell God what to do.

posted on Dec, 21 2020 @ 06:12 PM
link   

originally posted by: JAGStorm

A bidet is your friend.

I was thinking the same thing.

They're real simple to install FCD, even one-handed it shouldn't take more than 20 minutes.

posted on Dec, 21 2020 @ 06:12 PM
link   
Well, what happened? Do you have anyone to be an extra hand outside?

Your butt problems are beyond my realm, although I am left handed, I'm not sure I'd trade ya.

Edit: Realized after posting, replying might be hard and ask for forgiveness in my everlasting callousness. Please don't "cancel" me.
edit on 12/21/2020 by Nivhk because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 21 2020 @ 06:19 PM
link   
My friend you have my complete sympathy. My wife had her left shoulder done last February. Go ahead right now and find a polar pack to cool that shoulder after surgery. They are about 2 hundred bucks and well worth it. We used 20oz frozen water bottles that we could refreeze. It sucks to use cold therapy in the winter but it helps. Good luck.

. www.amazon.com...

posted on Dec, 21 2020 @ 06:30 PM
link   
Well,guess some good books and movies may help pass some time.Recommend some Louis Lamour,Allen Eckert,and Peter Hathaway Capstick.Any old westerns and Bogart and Cagney gangster movies.Hope your surgery and recovery go well.

posted on Dec, 21 2020 @ 06:31 PM
link   

I am sooo damn sorry to hear that.
I cannot imagine living through the pain and rehab.
And I don't drive cattle.
I would imagine even going outdoors in your are in the winter will be a challenge.....cuz like...putting on a coat.

posted on Dec, 21 2020 @ 06:42 PM
link   
I'm confused how no good news is good news? 🤔

I feel for you bro, I had a shoulder injury where I was in agony for 8 months, screaming out every night when trying to change position in my sleep, unable to to roll from my back to my good side without physically supporting my shoulder whilst whilst awake, even on my good side I was still in agony. The dullest, hottest relentless pain all day long, and your injury is way worse than mine!

Big feels n luv coming your way 😔

What are you taking/doing for pain?

posted on Dec, 21 2020 @ 06:55 PM
link   

Sorry to hear this, but it sounds like normal wear a tear over the years.
This doesn't sound like instant damage either....

Total Rotator Cuff destruction, completely destroyed.

It's gotta be the tendon that caused you to seek medical attention hence a displaced muscle and the doctor saw the rest. Wiping made easy?

Best of luck to you FCD.

posted on Dec, 21 2020 @ 06:57 PM
link   
Sorry, bud. I was feeling sorry for myself because I'm dealing with a kidney stone at the moment, but your situation sounds far worse.

posted on Dec, 21 2020 @ 07:02 PM
link   
a reply to: schuyler

Stones stink, I have Medullary Sponge Kidneys. I produce many stones monthly. Some as big as a pea. Not fun.

Good luck to you.

posted on Dec, 21 2020 @ 07:07 PM
link   

If you have to say you need religion...you DO need religion.
If you have to talk yourself out of needing religion...you REALLY need religion.

posted on Dec, 21 2020 @ 07:11 PM
link   

originally posted by: schuyler
Sorry, bud. I was feeling sorry for myself because I'm dealing with a kidney stone at the moment, but your situation sounds far worse.

There is one ancient andean herbal medicine called "Chanca Piedra" (Stone Breaker). You might want to research that. It's easy to find online.

posted on Dec, 21 2020 @ 07:27 PM
link   

Dad, is that you? lol

My dad is going through the same ordeal. He's been outting off the surgeries for as long as he can, but he has just been delaying the inevitable. The stuff has to be in the right place.

Good luck with the surgeries. It is going to suck not being able to do anything, but it is really important to make sure that ya don't screw it up again or even worse and just do what you can to make sure everything heals up nice and proper. Or else all the money and time invested in the will just go to waste.

posted on Dec, 21 2020 @ 07:44 PM
link   

It took me a year. I managed it. Teikiatsu can tell you how independent I am. Yeah ... he had to wash my back for several months in there.

You're going to have to learn to accept help, no two ways about it, but you'll make it. And you'll learn real quick how to pick up skills with your left. Trust me on that, but your ortho is right, and I recall you saying something about this a while back, and this was the advice I gave you then. Start learning how to go lefty NOW.

Also, recliner is your friend for sleeping.

Don't put it off. The longer you do, the less likely you will have a good outcome. Also, start finding a PT group you like who knows their stuff. You're going to be seeing a lot of them and you better do what they tell you if you want to get back at it.

posted on Dec, 21 2020 @ 07:48 PM
link   

originally posted by: Nickn3
My friend you have my complete sympathy. My wife had her left shoulder done last February. Go ahead right now and find a polar pack to cool that shoulder after surgery. They are about 2 hundred bucks and well worth it. We used 20oz frozen water bottles that we could refreeze. It sucks to use cold therapy in the winter but it helps. Good luck.

. www.amazon.com...

Excellent advice!

My ice pack was my bestest bud for almost three months after mine.

posted on Dec, 21 2020 @ 08:04 PM
link   
Yeah, re-reading it, I was better off then you in that while I could not move my arm because of the SLAP repair, it had to *be* moved because of the capsulotomy. So I was getting it moved by my PTs and allowed to remove it from the sling let it hang out and swing around from fairly early on.

I just couldn't *do* anything with it because I couldn't use the bicep at all for quite a while.

So I got it out of the sling fairly early and was having to let it sort of move and doing some types of motion, but one of the side effects of capsulotomy is that shoulder stiffens up again during healing too. So 3 months post op were pretty passive before I really started moving around and that was a lot of stiffness and babying the bicep while it rehealed and reattached. That was another 3 months of gradual moving into more range of motion and some strength.

By the end of that, I was ready to get into water aerobics, but COVID shut it all down. That's why I did some of the gentler calisthenics and stretching work with son's tae kwon do Zoom sessions with PT approval. Then starting in June I moved on to more aggressive exercise along with PT for the summer months.

What your progression ends up being will depend on how your surgery does and how you heal and how well you take to therapy.

Also, I got very lucky - cousin is married to an expert in the PT field, so my PT's were trained by him. They knew their stuff which was good because they'd never had a surgeon do both a capsulotomy and a SLAP at the time on the same patient like they did me. The two courses of treatment are usually 180 degrees different, but they did a bang-up job getting me through both. They told me on my last day that if I hadn't had the worst case of frozen shoulder they'd seen, it was pretty close to it.
edit on 21-12-2020 by ketsuko because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 21 2020 @ 08:24 PM
link   

Listen to your physical therapist.

I told mine after my knee replacement that I wanted to walk into work in 6 weeks.

I did it.

It hurts, but you can do it, get ready for the pain-train brother!

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join