It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Travel ban for UK in EU

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 21 2020 @ 08:03 AM
link   

originally posted by: alldaylong

originally posted by: ManFromEurope
Punishment for Brexit in advance. What did you expect?

So if The UK made a " democratic " decision to leave The EU, they have to be punished for it ?

Democracy is then a word The EU does not understand. And they wonder why we decided to leave.

Thank you for clarifying what we in The UK also thought was true.

My my. For somebody that spends such a ratio of their time on this web property slagging Trump as you do.....turns out you and Trump share a few common principles when it comes to quote-unquote nationalism and opposition to globalism.

Oh wait. You're /pro-sovereignty/ "UK first", but anti-Trump, because __________ ??

In a general sense, I do hope this all is sorted soon, and I also believe "new COVID strain" is a pretext for playing hardball with border policies WRT Brexit.

For most of our UK brethren on this site, I feel for you.

For you....meh. I don't feel guilty about a wee bit of Schadenfreude.

posted on Dec, 21 2020 @ 08:31 AM
link   
a reply to: SleeperHasAwakened

My my. For somebody that spends such a ratio of their time on this web property slagging Trump as you do.....turns out you and Trump share a few common principles when it comes to quote-unquote nationalism and opposition to globalism. Oh wait. You're /pro-sovereignty/ "UK first", but anti-Trump, because __________ ??

Can you please tell me when The US became a part of a Political Union of 28 countries, tied into the same rules and regulations, one single passport for all, freedom of movenemt of people between those countries without any restrictions, 27 of the 28 countries use a single currency, etc etc

Or do you really believe that Trumps idea of sovereignty is that of The UK. Trump is a protectionist, which is something entirely different.

Thanks anyway.

posted on Dec, 21 2020 @ 08:51 AM
link   

I will make my reply brief, and this will be my last remarks to you on this subject; I honestly don't wish to derail this important thread.

Can you please tell me when The US became a part of a Political Union of 28 countries, tied into the same rules and regulations, one single passport for all, freedom of movenemt of people between those countries without any restrictions, 27 of the 28 countries use a single currency, etc etc

We in the US have that very same modus operandi now, only double the number of entities in play as in Europe. Not sure if you've heard of the whole concept of federalism. You should read up on it. Not sure what you're point is here anyway, other than to elicit sympathy for some notion of buyer's remorse on the UK's part in the experiment that was European Federalism (EU).

Or do you really believe that Trumps idea of sovereignty is that of The UK. Trump is a protectionist, which is something entirely different.

Thanks anyway.

LOFL, what is Brexit then, IF NOT protectionism, albeit cultural/sovereign instead of economic? To blast Trump as a "protectionist" but then rail against the EU for not cutting you a sweetheart deal for your own go at social protectionism demonstrates a glaring lack of self-awareness and hypocrisy on your part.

But in any case, don't let me interfere with your TDSism, all the more puzzling for someone not residing in the US, and laughably ironic for someone with your perspective on Brexit. Carry on mate.

Truly, you should make a separate thread on this to clarify your position. Inquiring minds would like to know how you split hairs and you particularly deride Trump the "protectionist" but yet you are in favor of the Brexit form of protectionism. Eagerly awaiting your write-up on this.
edit on 21-12-2020 by SleeperHasAwakened because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 21 2020 @ 09:01 AM
link   

LOFL, what is Brexit then, IF NOT protectionism

Well it seems you don't know.

Protectionism.

Protectionism is the economic policy of restricting imports from other countries through methods such as tariffs on imported goods, import quotas, and a variety of other government regulations

www.investopedia.com...

Brexit means The UK makes it's own decisions by becoming a Sovereign State again.

Sovereign

The supreme, absolute, and uncontrollable power by which an independent state is governed and from which all specific political powers are derived; the intentional independence of a state, combined with the right and power of regulating its internal affairs without foreign interference.

legal-dictionary.thefreedictionary.com...

Hope that clears up your obvious confussion.

posted on Dec, 21 2020 @ 09:15 AM
link   
www.aljazeera.com...

At least 27 countries ban flights and travellers from the UK after the detection of a new coronavirus strain in England.

Lots of countries doing a flight ban, some very short.

**except cargo planes. In Canada anyway, trade is still going.
edit on 21-12-2020 by snowspirit because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 21 2020 @ 09:20 AM
link   
The British have always been self entitled whining babies.

That's why I don't regret moving to France 20 years ago.

This whole Brexit thing is all just part of one big joke being played out right now.

posted on Dec, 21 2020 @ 09:25 AM
link   
a reply to: nerbot

We appreciate that.

Thanks.

posted on Dec, 21 2020 @ 09:29 AM
link   
a reply to: F2d5thCavv2

The measures taken by the EU look remarkably like the measures the UK took against Denmark in response to discovery of the mink-associated variant strain of Covid back in early November.

posted on Dec, 21 2020 @ 09:32 AM
link   

originally posted by: snowspirit
www.aljazeera.com...

At least 27 countries ban flights and travellers from the UK after the detection of a new coronavirus strain in England.

Lots of countries doing a flight ban, some very short.

**except cargo planes. In Canada anyway, trade is still going.

The new Covid strain has been found in other countries also.

the new variant had been detected in Denmark and the Netherlands, as well as a case in Australia. Other cases have been found in Belgium and Italy,

www.politico.eu...

France has closed the border with The UK purely for political reasons. Otherwise they would have closed the border with Belgium, Holland and Italy also, which they haven't.

edit on 21-12-2020 by alldaylong because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 21 2020 @ 09:59 AM
link   
a reply to: alldaylong

In the USA, we have "Orange Man Bad".

In the EU, it is "Sovereign Country Bad".

Unless said country is Russia, or China, or from the Arab world, or ...

Cheers

posted on Dec, 21 2020 @ 10:08 AM
link   
The Dr. On the today show, this morning said "rest assured, the virus takes years to mutate and the vaccine will be good for the same amount of time." Anyone else feel like were being lied to at every turn?

originally posted by: F2d5thCavv2
Britain faces EU-wide travel ban to curb spread of Covid mutation

Britain was hit with a travel ban on Sunday night by a host of EU countries to halt the spread of the new, more infectious coronavirus strain....

www.telegraph.co.uk...

So, a couple of notable items.

Purportedly, this is being done by the EU in response to the new COVID strain detected in SE England. However --

1. Unlike the restrictions on travel earlier this year -- which primarily affected people -- France has also blocked the movement of freight between the UK and the continent for at least 48 hours. As the trade talks between the UK and the EU have ground to a halt, the timing of this decision is at the least interesting. Per the Telegraph, something like 10,000 trucks / lorries usually move between the UK and the EU, daily.

2. All because of this new virus strain? But -- the new virus strain has already been detected in Italy and is likely elsewhere on the continent as well. The far shore has already been reached and breached.

The French government move re: freight feels like a pressure play to get the UK to cave in regarding the trade talks ("look what will happen if you don't do what we want!"); the timing is just too convenient.

Sounds like a huge mess for the already bleeding travel industry -- could affect something like a quarter-million travelers.

Cheers

posted on Dec, 21 2020 @ 10:10 AM
link   

a reply to: nerbot

We appreciate that.

Thanks.

Sorry you feel resentful of someone who is brave enough to leave the teat.

posted on Dec, 21 2020 @ 11:28 AM
link   
a reply to: Kenzo

It's total bs.....i. mean the reason , new strain. It is excuse for the public , not real reason.

Funny how they are yet to release the science on the new strain.

posted on Dec, 21 2020 @ 12:43 PM
link   
a reply to: purplemer

Same strain was there in September. But now they call it " new strain ".

posted on Dec, 21 2020 @ 02:12 PM
link   

Agreed.

The U.K. will bite them in another way I am sure.

posted on Dec, 21 2020 @ 02:32 PM
link   
The ban will end in the public view but just like everything else deals will be made without knowledge.
Some deals we will win and some we will lose.

Focus is being to short term again( which is what they want you to see, panic panic panic) we all need to look long term with problems to come in years to come and deal with them

posted on Dec, 21 2020 @ 02:33 PM
link   

Funny thing is, despite this being about Brexit, and punishing the U.K., France has marooned 1400 plus French drivers, plus countless Spanish, Italian and so on.

Lol

edit on 21-12-2020 by aoi3610 because: Spelling

posted on Dec, 21 2020 @ 02:34 PM
link   
a reply to: thecrow001

Some would consider this an act of war, or at least the prelude to one...

posted on Dec, 21 2020 @ 02:38 PM
link   
a reply to: aoi3610
Short term economical warfare yes, maybe we should not be distracted by this and be blind sighted.

edit on 21-12-2020 by thecrow001 because: spelling

top topics

<< 1   >>

join