It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Alien Hunters Discover Mysterious Signal from Proxima Centauri

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 19 2020 @ 11:38 PM
link   
a reply to: charlyv

Yeah, but you don’t stay on single frequency radio either!

Quantum communication is almost a certain right now (the whole astroengineer story). So why radio?

My thoughts are nobody uses such old technology anymore. The whole “look for aliens using our old tech” is kind of disingenuous at best. That we waste money and time on ancient technology is kind of a shame.

Universe is quantum so why should communication be any different?

I agree with you! We are still cut off from the intergalactic internet!!

posted on Dec, 20 2020 @ 11:23 AM
link   

originally posted by: purplemer
a reply to: neoholographic

Nice find

Four light years away and our closest star and we cannot see it. That baffles my mind in itself!

The signal does look promising. It looks to me like we are now living through disclosure. Its only a short matter of time now before life in space is verified.

I thought they already announced that they found life on Venus this year. Some kind of fart gas detected from microbial life.

posted on Dec, 20 2020 @ 12:15 PM
link   
a reply to: galaga

I thought they already announced that they found life on Venus this year

You thought wrong.

posted on Dec, 20 2020 @ 12:30 PM
link   
a reply to: Phage

You thought wrong.

How and why are they wrong. The gas found in the atmosphere is indicative of life. How do you know they where wrong..?

What evidence do you have.

Is this just scant illusionary conjecture of fictitious nature on your part or have you got some cold hard objective data to support your claim.

posted on Dec, 20 2020 @ 12:32 PM
link   

originally posted by: TEOTWAWKIAIFF

Yeah, but you don’t stay on single frequency radio either!

Quantum communication is almost a certain right now (the whole astroengineer story). So why radio?

My thoughts are nobody uses such old technology anymore. The whole “look for aliens using our old tech” is kind of disingenuous at best. That we waste money and time on ancient technology is kind of a shame.

Universe is quantum so why should communication be any different?

I agree with you! We are still cut off from the intergalactic internet!!

Well, if ET is "cold calling" whoever can detect a transmission ,the quantum and conventional (electromagnetic) combination may be required, as they would not know the capabilities on the other end and would know that in order for any civilization to detect the transmission , then they would at least possess electromagnetic communications capability.

Imagine being able to decrypt a received message, and find out it is instructions on how to develop quantum communications that would permit a real time "hello" back. That would certainly be the definitive game changer.

The late Dr. Hawking suggested that we should really think twice if we developed the capability...
His premise was that history showed that things usually do not go well for a civilization that encounters another civilization with a more advanced technology.

edit on 20-12-2020 by charlyv because: spelling where caught

posted on Dec, 20 2020 @ 12:35 PM
link   
a reply to: purplemer

There was no announcement that "they found life."

But you should try to keep up with the science.

Subsequently, the same team of astronomers of the initial paper re-examined their data and cited a processing error and recalculated its estimate to 5 parts per billion. In other words, if there's phosphine there likely isn't as much of it. Their results were published in a preprint posted on 17 November to arXiv.

www.salon.com...

posted on Dec, 20 2020 @ 12:37 PM
link   

Quantum communication is not a thing, in theory. Entanglement doesn't work like that.

But principles of quantum mechanics can be used to create virtually unbreakable encryption, in theory. Entanglement does work like that.

edit on 12/20/2020 by Phage because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 20 2020 @ 12:49 PM
link   

Thats a shame maybe the scientists will change there minds yet again.

posted on Dec, 20 2020 @ 12:50 PM
link   
So, fold all of this together.

1. Navy releases video of UFOs captured by navy aircraft. DOES NOT DISCOUNT THEM, and MSM basically ignores.
2. MASKS are REQUIRED worldwide now.
3. ALL PUBLIC PLACES OF GATHERING ARE CLOSED, especially, CHURCHES. They WANT to control all of social media, but that is a tough one.
4. Radio signals now being acknowledged.

We re being conditioned, and I dare say, its for first contact.

Some of the conditions for this would be to try to minimize the exposure of whoever these things are, to our viruses. Get all of us used to wearing masks often. CONDITION us.

This will also throw the churches into a very large upheaval. Expect more to come out from the Catholic church (which they have done b4) that will say something along the lines of "All of Gods creatures are in heaven (both literally and figuratively) and here on Earth.."

BUT. How would you, attempt to explain to us humans that your religion is flawed (I am an Ordained Minister), there are well over 4300 KNOWN religions on this rock, there are MILLIONS of known planets, and all of these have been "Awakened" to the fact that what you have believed for centuries, is in fact flawed.

Think about it. What would be the reaction to aliens from, say, Iran's Supreme Leader. What would he tell his gazzilions of subjects? THINK IT THROUGH.

The social upheaval would be one that we may not, as a society, survive. Imagine the religious nutcases trying to take the narrative away.

Look at the entire world right now, and stop seeing this crisis, or THAT crisis.. Think about what all of them together mean.

Fred..

posted on Dec, 20 2020 @ 01:00 PM
link   

originally posted by: Phage

Quantum communication is not a thing, in theory. Entanglement doesn't work like that.

But principles of quantum mechanics can be used to create virtually unbreakable encryption, in theory. Entanglement does work like that.

Understood, but it seems a very logical avenue for research into the future of communications. If we strongly suspect that ET exists, then we must also expect some incredible revelations in science that allow them to get here.

posted on Dec, 20 2020 @ 01:02 PM
link   

If we strongly suspect that ET exists, then we must also expect some incredible revelations in science that allow them to get here.

So, we've gone from detecting their communications to them getting here?

posted on Dec, 20 2020 @ 01:03 PM
link   

originally posted by: purplemer

Thats a shame maybe the scientists will change there minds yet again.

That's how science works, doncha know?

If the data doesn't fit, you change the theory.

posted on Dec, 20 2020 @ 01:16 PM
link   

originally posted by: Phage

If we strongly suspect that ET exists, then we must also expect some incredible revelations in science that allow them to get here.

So, we've gone from detecting their communications to them getting here?

I think it is a combination of all of the above. No one knows what the detection's are, if they are indeed intelligently sourced. Likewise for ET.... Most likely all of these scenarios exist together and have since the universe was very young.

posted on Dec, 20 2020 @ 05:28 PM
link   

originally posted by: fredrodgers1960
So, fold all of this together.

1. Navy releases video of UFOs captured by navy aircraft. DOES NOT DISCOUNT THEM, and MSM basically ignores.

---It made the front 'page' of the BBC website, Sky ran a story of it, pretty sure it was in the papers..so not exactly ignored by the msm.

2. MASKS are REQUIRED worldwide now.
---For fairly sensible reasons though, required for an impending alien invasion is a bit of a stretch.

3. ALL PUBLIC PLACES OF GATHERING ARE CLOSED, especially, CHURCHES. They WANT to control all of social media, but that is a tough one.

----I had a lovely run in our local park today, didn't notice it being closed? Churches also seem to be open where I am too..so your definition of 'all' is a little off.

4. Radio signals now being acknowledged.

----Yep that's right they definitely acknowledged hearing radio proxima sports news, close game I heard between proxy a and proxy c , last minute winner ouch. Actually they just reported a very brief, not yet replicated, unusual signal on a narrow bandwidth, could be anything and likely earth based. Afaik they haven't refound it yet.

We re being conditioned, and I dare say, its for first contact.

Some of the conditions for this would be to try to minimize the exposure of whoever these things are, to our viruses. Get all of us used to wearing masks often. CONDITION us.

This will also throw the churches into a very large upheaval. Expect more to come out from the Catholic church (which they have done b4) that will say something along the lines of "All of Gods creatures are in heaven (both literally and figuratively) and here on Earth.."

BUT. How would you, attempt to explain to us humans that your religion is flawed (I am an Ordained Minister), there are well over 4300 KNOWN religions on this rock, there are MILLIONS of known planets, and all of these have been "Awakened" to the fact that what you have believed for centuries, is in fact flawed.

--quite a few of these religions actually cater for extraterrestrial life, they'd be over the moon if it happened I would think.

Think about it. What would be the reaction to aliens from, say, Iran's Supreme Leader. What would he tell his gazzilions of subjects? THINK IT THROUGH.

The social upheaval would be one that we may not, as a society, survive. Imagine the religious nutcases trying to take the narrative away.

Look at the entire world right now, and stop seeing this crisis, or THAT crisis.. Think about what all of them together mean.

Fred..

posted on Dec, 20 2020 @ 05:34 PM
link   

Nice to see you back Phage

Proxima is a M class red dwarf These stars are subject to sudden flares and outbursts

Its companion stars Alpha Centauri A . a F class star is slightly larger than our Sun, Alpha Centauri B ,a K class star is
slightly smaller than our Sun These stars orbit a common center around each other

Wonder if gas and charged particles from Proxima is somehow being captured by its larger companions and is emitting
radio signals as it is drawn into the gravity wells of the larger stars
edit on 20-12-2020 by firerescue because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 20 2020 @ 05:40 PM
link   
a reply to: fredrodgers1960

I don't see how anyone's faith is threatened or invalidated by ETs. Do any religions claim that there is only life on Earth? I feel like disclosure would bring people closer to their faiths not send them running. The idea that religious people would suddenly go nuts and riot if ETs were announced is outdated at best and patronizing at worst.

posted on Dec, 21 2020 @ 07:00 AM
link   

originally posted by: neoholographic
Interesting article from Scientific American.

Strange radio transmissions appear to be coming from our nearest star system; now scientists are trying to work out what is sending them

It’s never aliens, until it is. Today, news leaked in the British newspaper The Guardian of a mysterious signal coming from the closest star to our own, Proxima Centauri, a star too dim to see from Earth with the naked eye that is nevertheless a cosmic stone’s throw away at just 4.2 light-years. Found this autumn in archival data gathered last year, the signal appears to emanate from the direction of our neighboring star and cannot yet be dismissed as Earth-based interference, raising the very faint prospect that it is a transmission from some form of advanced extraterrestrial intelligence (ETI)—a so-called “technosignature.” Now, speaking to Scientific American, the scientists behind the discovery caution there is still much work to be done, but admit the interest is justified. “It has some particular properties that caused it to pass many of our checks, and we cannot yet explain it,” says Andrew Siemion from the University of California, Berkeley.

Most curiously, it occupies a very narrow band of the radio spectrum: 982 megahertz, specifically, which is a region typically bereft of transmissions from human-made satellites and spacecraft. “We don’t know of any natural way to compress electromagnetic energy into a single bin in frequency” such as this one, Siemion says. Perhaps, he says, some as-yet-unknown exotic quirk of plasma physics could be a natural explanation for the tantalizingly concentrated radio waves. But “for the moment, the only source that we know of is technological.”

www.scientificamerican.com...

I think the area of technosignatures is very promising. We're finding more of them and they're very intriguing.

The bad thing is, you can always find a skeptic that says there's a "natural" explanation and no matter how crazy it sounds it will be enough for some to say that's a good enough explanation. This because if you start out with the belief extraterrestrials don't exist then you will accept any convoluted explanation as better than an extraterrestrial explanation.

A person can say,"Maybe 2 neutron stars collided at a 30 degree angle and the blast ripple through space and 10 million light years away this ripple excited the quantum field and that could have created the signature that was detected."

I'm being facetious but it's close to the truth.
Why is it bad to have someone point out something true? Is it bad to contradict your hopes, or is it because you believe in it? Maybe because you want it to be true? Why not follow actuality instead of simple hope?

posted on Dec, 21 2020 @ 07:29 AM
link   
a reply to: fredrodgers1960

What if they say the opposite?

posted on Dec, 21 2020 @ 09:03 AM
link   

originally posted by: Raggedyman
There is a natural explanation probably, maybe a couple of neutron stars collided at 30 odd degrees, a pulsar, black hole.
Always get these crazy alien extra terrestrial believers saying any noise is proof of aliens, confirmation bias rot

Well you know the kind

If 2 neutron stars collided 4.2 lightyears from earth, we'd be toast sometime between now and the next 4.2 years...

That said, there are no Neutron Stars or Black Holes in the vicinity of Proxima Centauri.

There is a possibility that the signal could be genuine, given that Proxima B is in fact within the habitable zone of it's parent star.

Although the star its self isn't old enough to have spawned intelligent life on its exoplanet, it's possible the planet is in early lifeform and ecosystem development and someone came along from elsewhere and colonized it

posted on Dec, 21 2020 @ 11:48 AM
link   
Proxima Centauri is about 4.85 billion years old.That makes it roughly 300 million years older than the Sun. On that basis alone, there has been plenty of time for an advanced civilization to have evolved on planets there.

The fact that this star flares severely is more concerning for the prospects of life of any sort, but especially complex life, which is more sensitive to the resulting radiation on any planets circling in Proxima Centauri's habitable zone.

If there is a real extraterrestrial signal coming from this star system, perhaps its from an automated transmitter. Dr. Jason Wright suggests the intriguing possibility that this would be a very logical place for the nearest cosmic equivalent of a cell phone tower.
edit on 21-12-2020 by Ross 54 because: improved paragraph structure

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join