It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NEWS: Doctors Remove Terry Schiavo's Feeding Tube

page: 5
<< 2  3  4   >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 20 2005 @ 07:30 AM
link   

Originally posted by RANT
But anyone emotionally involved in this case (not related to
Mrs. Schiavo) is being played for a fool.

RANT. YOU told me that the heart and soul of the left is to take
care of people ... from breathe to death. Terri Schiavo is breathing
(on her own). Well ... why isn't the left taking care of her. Why do
they want to starve her to death and why don't they want to
have the 'husband' investigated? She got this way after saying she wanted a divorce from her abusive 'husband'. She hasn't been
taken care of. No medical tests to determine problems. No
walks in the fresh air. Heck ... she's not allowed visits by a
priest and she won't be allowed to be buried in a Catholic
cemetary (per her 'husband's demands).

Just the fact that he is demanding an immediate cremation after her
death without a Catholic burial and no Catholic priest should tell you
that he really DOES NOT want what she wants. Teresa Marie is
Catholic. She went to Catholic schools in Philadelphia. It's part of her
belief system and her heritage.

If the left really is out to help society from breath to death ..
then they are falling short on this matter. As far as I can see,
it's those who aren't upset by a woman being starved to death
and who believe that it's his right to do this to her ... those are
the people being played for fools.

posted on Mar, 20 2005 @ 08:18 AM
link   
flyersfan
You know, it's considered common courtesy to use the edit feature instead of posting two or three times in a row. I only mention it because I see you doing it quite frequently. All you're doing is unnecessarily increasing the length of the thread and bumping your own post count. I really wouldn't have mentioned it, but I see you doing it in nearly every thread you participate in.

Okay, the reason 'the left' is not helping her is because 'the left' is engaged in a conspiracy to anger people and make them hate each other, along with 'the right'. It's working.

Both sides collude to batter the American people, and divert our focus from the hands that reach up the skirts of the puppets. Look behind the curtain.

posted on Mar, 20 2005 @ 09:30 AM
link   
Why can't they just let her go already? After 20 years of living like this, if you can call it living, I'd want to die. Even if she recovers (which isn't likely at all, with the amount of brain damage--it's more like impossible) then what? Everyone just expects her to pick up where she left off?

What's more, her family should be ashamed of themselves. The government should be ashamed of themselves, taking an innocent woman's condition and turning it into a public spectacle because they don't like the decision she made. They should live with it. If she told her husband she didn't want to live like this, then they should respect her decision.

As far as government involvement in this, all it looks like to me is an attempt for them to control some civilians' lives. Hanging this argument over everyone's head like they are is just prolonging everyone's suffering.

I hope to God that when my time comes to die, my family doesn't fight over it and make my death into a national spectacle. She's BRAIN DAMAGED. If she ever did come back, she'd probably be humiliated. I know I would if I were exposed to the public in her condition.

Now, she's nothing more than a pawn in a war that is never going to be won. I never met her, but I am certain that she never asked for that. Who would?

(edit: grammar error)

[edit on 3/20/2005 by mj13]

posted on Mar, 20 2005 @ 09:48 AM
link   

Originally posted by FlyersFan

Originally posted by RANT
But anyone emotionally involved in this case (not related to
Mrs. Schiavo) is being played for a fool.

RANT. YOU told me that the heart and soul of the left is to take
care of people ... from breathe to death.

That was another issue. In the comparative context of "the greater good" the left is concerned with "breathe to death" as "the right" is predominantly concerned with "conception to breathe"... then you're on your on.

As evident when then Gov. Bush (in 99) first signed the bill into law that allowed Hospitals to End Life Support AGAINST FAMILY WISHES When Patients Can't Pay!

But am I "the left" in this argument? I'm calling them the suckers.

Senate Democratic Communications Center
“I am pleased Senator Frist and I were able to pass the bill that protects the life of Terri Schiavo by allowing her parents to go to federal court. If the House Republicans refuse to pass our bipartisan bill, they bear responsibility for the consequences.”

Don't politicize my refusal to get sucked into this diversion as indicative of anything but my recognition of a circus when I see one.

This rally for "Terri" consists of both "left" and "right" as new camp. A new "Kleenex Camp" I don't fully understand the implications of yet, but it is a political camp just as handled as Terri's parents have been and just as manufactured as the result of a Frank Luntz focus group.

You're also an irrelevant group which makes me wonder why the news and federal government seems to care so much all of a sudden.

PollingReport/TerriSchiavo

65% of the public think her spouse should determine her fate (25% parents).

87% would want to be allowed to die in the same situation. (8% say kept alive).

Correction: That means the new "Kleenex Camp" (now approaching 25%) has been successfully wedged off by the same 8% that want life no matter what (probably the same camp as the "ban all abortions" people), and that's the hook for all the attention and fair & balanced debate between supposedly fanatically divided equal camps.

It's really not. It's probably the 8% wearing sandwich boards sceaming Save Terri, Save Terri... (with the 17% neo-converts making up 25% in the circus that is "Save Terri") against the overwhelming majority of America (both right and left) looking at your Congressional side show in confusion and disgust.

Don't be shouted down America by radical fringe groups pretending to be a movement. Don't get sucked in by circuses.

[edit on 20-3-2005 by RANT]

posted on Mar, 20 2005 @ 09:54 AM
link   
As always it's the pissed off fringe who write the most letters and make the most noise.

Now, I've read some pretty disturbing information regarding this case, but the fact remains, this is one woman, one life, one death; this is not the world imploding.

However, when we start talking about the Congress and the POTUS mucking around and using dirty tricks to prolong a woman's life, then it becomes a national issue that effects me. They're sidestepping the relevant courts to get what they want, and in the process of so doing, they are sending a very clear message to the states. OBEY.

Like I said before, this is just like random white girl abductions featured front page on national newspapers, it's an insult to thinking people everywhere.

posted on Mar, 20 2005 @ 11:47 PM
link   
What an awful precedent this sends - let's hope the federal courts strike it down quickly, otherwise the interference by the Feds is just getting started.

"It will be very interesting, because I just can't think of another case that's like this," said Nathaniel Persily, a University of Pennsylvania law professor. "I mean, our guts tell us it's wrong for Congress to try to legislate the result of a particular case, and in general, courts frown on retroactivity and laws that are aimed at selecting out a particular person. But I can't tell you what context a court would use to decide this particular issue, because it's so unusual."

Douglas Laycock, a University of Texas law professor, said there wasn't much ambiguity to the issue.

"Congress is saying no matter how final a matter is, no matter how settled it is in state court, we can tell you to go back and redo it in federal court," he said. "Congress gets to write statutes. It doesn't decide cases, and that's what they seem to be doing here."

The law Congress is set to pass says that the parents of Terri Schiavo, who has been in a vegetative state for 15 years, can go to a federal court to argue that removing her feeding tubes violates her rights under the U.S. Constitution or under federal law.

Congress says the federal court can't consider the many state court judgments that concluded that her husband, as legal guardian, had a right to have her feeding tubes removed. And it can't consider the fact that the Florida Supreme Court has reviewed those state court decisions and concluded that they passed legal muster.

The goal of the legislation is to get Schiavo's parents a full hearing in federal court, and the new law also commands the federal court to provide "injunctive relief" from the state court decisions, which would presumably have Schiavo's feeding tubes re-connected while the federal court proceedings unfold, which could take a year or more.

The legislation raises several questions about Congress' authority, experts say. One is whether it is treading on ground that is reserved exclusively for the judiciary in the Constitution; another is whether it is simply beyond the scope of Congress' own enumerated powers in the Constitution.

There are also questions about whether Congress is improperly blurring the lines between federal and state authority, and whether it is changing a law and applying it retroactively to a case that's already settled.

Regardless of your opinion on the Schiavo case - this law has huge ramifications and needs to be read by all.

Source: KC Star
Shiavo Compromise Law

B.

posted on Mar, 20 2005 @ 11:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by Bleys
What an awful precedent this sends - let's hope the federal courts strike it down quickly, otherwise the interference by the Feds is just getting started.

Thanks bleys for that quote, and believe or not that is what all alone the hidden agenda was, many think that a great deed has been done, but the reality can not be so far away.

Some groups are playing with our constitutional rights and now our own president is allowing this to happen.

Like you said the ramifications are going to be great. Perhaps mr. president in his blindness doesn't even realized what he has allowed the congress to do by signing the bill.

Now I wonder what he has to said about the baby in Texas that was put to death and not groups where there to help and the president did not intervine either.

posted on Mar, 21 2005 @ 12:04 AM
link   

Originally posted by marg6043
Thanks bleys for that quote, and believe or not that is what all alone the hidden agenda was, many think that a great deed has been done, but the reality can not be so far away.

Some groups are playing with our constitutional rights and now our own president is allowing this to happen.

Like everyone else on the Board - I have my own opinion about the Schiavo case. IMO Florida dropped the ball in allowing "hearsay" testimony in lieu of a living will. But I do not want the Feds involved in this. The courts have decided that Mr. Schiavo is more credible than his in-laws and that it was Terri's wish to die. That should be the end of it - right, wrong or indifferent.

Congress, whether Republican or Democrat (many voted for this), has overstepped its authority and needs to be slapped down quickly. None of these politicians care about this woman - this is all about the politics baby. It will be interesting to see who got what.

B.

posted on Mar, 21 2005 @ 12:48 PM
link   
Why in the H*** is Congress jacking around with one person's life instead of solving bigger problems, like Iraq? Iran? The rest of the world, which can't stand us? This isn't even a national issue. It's a private issue that's been made into something national. And it's sickening.

posted on Mar, 21 2005 @ 02:57 PM
link   
1. Doctors have diagnosed a persistant vegitative state, with no hope of recovery
2. any way of prolonging Terry's "life" is worth it to her supporters.

for all those religious people (which I am) there is a certain point that you have to realize that it is just an imitation of life.

Psalm 115:16-18
The highest heavens belong to the LORD ,
but the earth he has given to man.
It is not the dead who praise the LORD ,
those who go down to silence;
it is we who extol the LORD ,
both now and forevermore.

Praise the LORD.

at this point in our knowledge of medical science, if Terry dies, I think God would be more then forgiving in those that caused or allowed her to starve.

Everyone else is waiting and looking for a miracle that would be the equal of Lazerus or the Rulers daughter that were raised from the dead.

posted on Mar, 21 2005 @ 05:13 PM
link   
[edit on 21-3-2005 by jukyu]

posted on Mar, 23 2005 @ 07:08 PM
link   
Death is a very selfish thing. The person who dies is not aware of any grieving. Only those surviving grieve. And they can be very selfish. I, for one, would never want to stay alive under the conditions of Terry Schiavo. Yet, her parents, selfishly, insist upon keeping her alive. Wrong or not, how many other people have died TODAY because of plagues, war, terrorism, etc. Terry has lived like this for 15 years and we are not sure if she really wanted it this way. Why do we continue to focus on the minority and not consider all of those who we can help lead a better life? Let her go. If not by removing her feeding tube, then by another, quicker, means. Not to say, her parents being named "Schindler" doesn't ring a bell (ie...Schindler's list).

posted on Mar, 24 2005 @ 02:08 AM
link   

Originally posted by mj13
Why in the H*** is Congress jacking around with one person's life instead of solving bigger problems, like Iraq? Iran? The rest of the world, which can't stand us? This isn't even a national issue. It's a private issue that's been made into something national. And it's sickening.

It's because the Republican's want votes and the Democrats are scared ****less by the religious right.

posted on Mar, 24 2005 @ 04:05 AM
link   

Originally posted by Jehosephat
for all those religious people (which I am) there is a certain point that you have to realize that it is just an imitation of life.

at this point in our knowledge of medical science, if Terry dies, I think God would be more then forgiving in those that caused or allowed her to starve.

For the record, Terri's family is Catholic and it is not acceptable in Catholic teaching to starve a person to death. There are certainly cases which fit the criteria within the Catholic teachings that a persons life is being prolonged by medical science beyond all hope. Denying sustanance is not one of them.

It seems at this point that the story is over, one court after another is quickly rejecting the appeals. She can only last so long now. My prayers are with her and her family for this tragedy that has been truely bungled at every turn, by almost every party involved.

posted on Mar, 24 2005 @ 04:08 AM
link   
Either way you look at the outcome of this situation it has unfortunate events. It is such a terrible thing for either side to go through. Both sides are fighting for what they really feel within them.

posted on Mar, 24 2005 @ 06:46 AM
link   

Originally posted by infinite
Either way you look at the outcome of this situation it has unfortunate events. It is such a terrible thing for either side to go through. Both sides are fighting for what they really feel within them.

Thanks for that quote, but tragically this whole case has been taken over by the ones that don't give a penny for the family ordeal but their own interest.

Its outrageous and a shame and every American should see all this circus for what it is, an opportunity for politicians and interest groups to score points.

To bad it has reminded just the "minority" as usual.

posted on Mar, 24 2005 @ 09:29 AM
link   
U.S. Supreme Court refuses to hear Schiavo case.

posted on Mar, 24 2005 @ 09:40 AM
link   
Confirmed...

www.cnn.com...

posted on Mar, 24 2005 @ 09:41 AM
link   
Well let see now how the powers of the president and the brother are in their agenda.

Does anybody think they will go for it? and take over the poor women's body? and step all over the Americans rights and undermine the court system in our country?

***warning***

posted on Mar, 24 2005 @ 09:53 AM
link   

Originally posted by marg6043

Does anybody think they will go for it? and take over the poor women's body? and step all over the Americans rights and undermine the court system in our country?

I doubt it, since he would be violating the court order issued last night concerning the DCF. He also has to consider yesterdays ruling by the Florida Supreme court that went against him.

top topics

<< 2  3  4   >>

join