It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Steampunk Rover Concept That Could Help Explore Venus

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 18 2020 @ 07:12 AM
link   
www.wired.com...

Rather than relying entirely on state-of-the-art components, a mechanical automaton built from high-temperature steel and titanium could travel over Venus’ scorching terrain, using clockwork sensors to avoid obstacles while collecting power from wind and storing it in a wind-up spring. Though it sounds like the basis of some retro-future sci-fi novel in which the Victorians explore the solar system, a rudimentary version of Sauder’s vision is being built and tested in the modern day.

Venus is apparently a hugely hostile place and our regular tech doesn't work.

good luck guys.

posted on Dec, 18 2020 @ 07:17 AM
link   
a reply to: ElGoobero

It will last as long as the seals last...

But moving parts and seals in an environment like Venus? With no credible way for repairs and PM’s?

posted on Dec, 18 2020 @ 07:19 AM
link   

If I recall correctly, Venus averages over 800 degrees Fahrenheit making electronics pretty hard to use.
This concept makes some sense I suppose but the whole point is to collect data and transmit it to earth. How would a mechanical rover accomplish that without electric circuits?

The balloon idea is pretty unrealistic.

posted on Dec, 18 2020 @ 07:37 AM
link   

That is some out of the box/retro tastic thinking

Although,lots of moving parts mean more chances of component failure..

I would like to see what they come up with,even if it doesn't end up going to Venus.
I know the Russians have been talking about going back for a while too:

news.bbc.co.uk...

When I was a kid I had a book about space,and I was always fascinated by the page that had a couple of shots of Venus taken by the Soviet Venera lander.
I was amazed that they could land and take some images in such a hostile environment.
I mean,everything melted after a few minutes,but they managed to send back some high quality images:

Pretty amazing images,especially considering how easy it is to mess up a photo on Earth if the weather is bit off.
To get nice sharp images on the surface of Venus,remotely back in the 1970s was quite an accomplishment I think.

Looking forward to see how this new NASA mission develops.

posted on Dec, 18 2020 @ 10:30 AM
link   
a reply to: Silcone Synapse
My first thoughts were the Soviet Venera landers.

The landers that functioned after a soft landing only lasted for less than 2 hours.

It rains sulfuric acid on Venus.

edit on b000000312020-12-18T10:35:38-06:0010America/ChicagoFri, 18 Dec 2020 10:35:38 -06001000000020 by butcherguy because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 18 2020 @ 10:39 AM
link   

originally posted by: Bluntone22

If I recall correctly, Venus averages over 800 degrees Fahrenheit making electronics pretty hard to use.
This concept makes some sense I suppose but the whole point is to collect data and transmit it to earth. How would a mechanical rover accomplish that without electric circuits?

two sturdy cups and a very, very long cable (also sturdy).

posted on Dec, 18 2020 @ 11:20 AM
link   

originally posted by: butcherguy
a reply to: Silcone Synapse
My first thoughts were the Soviet Venera landers.

The landers that functioned after a soft landing only lasted for less than 2 hours.

It rains sulfuric acid on Venus.

Its a seriously hostile planet indeed.
But-It could be good luck for us to have such a planet so near our own,because if we could build stuff which could survive there,we could learn a lot of valuable skills for working on other planets in the longer term.

We should try to make a habitat there,able to withstand the environment,but with a suitable interior for human survival.
I mean we dont have to send people,but as a test for other missions Venus could become very useful.
Mars may even seem easy if we could figure out how to tame Venus.

new topics

top topics

join