It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Black Stealth Paint

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 18 2005 @ 04:08 PM
link   
I have been wondering for a while now why the new generation of military aircraft (JSF etc) are not painted in the same radar absorbing paint as previous jets. They are supposed to be stealthy aircraft yet they dont have the same paint as the F-117, B-2 and SR-71. Why is this???
Even if the new aircraft are not as stealthy as the aircraft in the past, wouldnt it make them better if they were black? (And the black makes them look much better)

posted on Mar, 18 2005 @ 04:32 PM
link   
I think alot has to do with the aircraft mission purpose, MickeyDee.

F-117 = night-time penetrator of guided ordances/munitions
B-2 = was originally planned as a night time penetrator of guided ordances/munitions
SR-71 = penetrator period, high-altitude, with night-time surveillance/recon capability

Plus, all three are from "black" programs.

seekerof

posted on Mar, 18 2005 @ 09:02 PM
link   
The above sounds right to me. Most JSF's go about their business during the day, black is easier to see than any other color in the daytime. That paint is expensive...but who's to say that anything depends on color?

posted on Mar, 18 2005 @ 09:38 PM
link   
The color of the paint is tied into visual signature, i.e., what a ground or air observer can see, and it's the least important of the stealth aspects.

Seeing an aircraft doesn't help much when you're trying to shoot it down; most missiles use IR (looking for heat) or radar seekers. Most ground pounding aircraft such as the A-10, AH-64 attack helicopter, and others have attributes to hide or ameliorate the heat coming from the engines so that an IR seeking missile won't hit the airplane.

Other aircraft, such as the F-117, F-22, and the B-2, are designed so that radar waves will bounce off at an angle and not return to the transmitter; this makes the aircraft extremely hard to "see" with Radar.

The SR-71 is not a stealth aircraft at all. It has a large RCS (radar cross section), a measurement of how big it looks to a radar and no IR suppression capabilities.

But with the SR-71, it didn't matter, it flew so fast and so high that no AAA or SAM could reach it or catch it anyway.

posted on Mar, 18 2005 @ 09:52 PM
link   
Woahh this is crazy. Check this quote out from www.aeronautics.ru...

"The basic principle behind RAM coating is this: the coating contains carbonyl iron ferrite (special paint using this material is known as "iron ball" paint). When a radar wave encounters this coating, it creates a magnetic field within the metallic elements of the coating. The field has alternating polarity and dissipates the energy of a radar signal"

Drooling....can i get it for my car?

posted on Mar, 18 2005 @ 09:53 PM
link   
There are often misconceptions that the SR-71 is stealth, guess because it's black...

it would be interesting if planes started to be faded purple and grey or something, I bet that'd be hard to see under most circumstances...esspecially if the enemy is on '___'

posted on Mar, 18 2005 @ 09:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by GrOuNd_ZeRo
it would be interesting if planes started to be faded purple and grey or something, I bet that'd be hard to see under most circumstances...esspecially if the enemy is on '___'

Sounds like a plausible world war 2 experiment to me

Well, with the technology of those Japanese scientists and other scientists working on the image reflecting camo, we'll soon have no need to worry about color.

posted on Mar, 18 2005 @ 10:03 PM
link   
The SR-71 was stealthy, just not built specifically for stealth.
and SAM's could reach it.

and once visual stealth becomes more "white" the planes will just adapt to what ever color there surroundings are.

posted on Mar, 18 2005 @ 11:33 PM
link   
Ya know, maybe the stats on the sams claim they could reach it, NONE EVER DID!!!! Quit saying sr-71's were vunerable, over 4000 missiles fired at it, none hit. Most dominate plane ever built.

Train

posted on Mar, 19 2005 @ 05:25 AM
link   
Its been a while since we saw a new Black Aircraft hasnt it?
Do you think they will anounce a new one soon?

posted on Mar, 19 2005 @ 05:30 AM
link   

Originally posted by GrOuNd_ZeRo
There are often misconceptions that the SR-71 is stealth, guess because it's black...

No it is not a true stealth aircraft, but it did incorporate some stealth features such as the foreard chine, plastic filets on the chine etc. Still had a big RCS though as many have asserted.

Actually black is not the optimal for night oeprations but is used for apearence anyway.

posted on Mar, 19 2005 @ 05:41 AM
link   

Actually black is not the optimal for night oeprations but is used for apearence anyway

They do look way cooler in black dont they!

posted on Mar, 19 2005 @ 05:56 AM
link   
I am sure I read somewhere that during WW2 there was a lot of research done using lights in shaded or dark areas of the airframe. I think they where called "yehudi" lights or something like that!

I think the same thing was used on the bird of prey to mask or hide the venteral intake!. Who knows how far this simple methord has evolved!!!!.

The iron ball paint I have seen was applied to the leading edges of Tornado wings, pylons etc and was then sprayed over with the aircraft colour (which was a fetching hue of hemp with a tinge of pink!!!).

SV out!

posted on Mar, 19 2005 @ 06:32 AM
link   

Originally posted by Silentvulcan
I am sure I read somewhere that during WW2 there was a lot of research done using lights in shaded or dark areas of the airframe. I think they where called "yehudi" lights or something like that!

Yes it was cause Project Yehudi and they placed lights on planes and dialed them up or down based on the background light. It is supposed to have worked pretty well.

AWST did a bit on future systems for the F-22 and an adpative skin that will respond to the environment

posted on Mar, 19 2005 @ 08:22 AM
link   

Originally posted by Silentvulcan

The iron ball paint I have seen was applied to the leading edges of Tornado wings, pylons etc and was then sprayed over with the aircraft colour (which was a fetching hue of hemp with a tinge of pink!!!).

Are you sure that that was applied for stealth purposes, as Ive been told that that paint was applied for ablative reasons, ie to protect all leading edges and extremities from airborne sand particles which would have eroded the leading edges quicker than normal.

posted on Mar, 19 2005 @ 09:30 AM
link   
While flat balck and "stealth grey" may make for a cool look, one thing has to be considered. Black or grey is only good for use at night. Lets forget the use of paint as a radar absorbing material for a moment and consider just the visual aspects. The reason I just want to consider just visual is that any modern air combat is going to have to take jamming and radar countermeasures into consideration. This is just going to make pilots have to rely on their Mark I Mod 0 eyeballs. Tests have shown that a light blue blue-grey or blue-green color is the hardest to see in daylight. The harder that you are to see the closer you can get and improve the chances of a first shot kill.

Another disadvantage for using black or grey paint for aircraft that operate during the day is the "Black Body Effect". Dark colors tend to absorb the sun's radiation and reflect it back as heat. Don't take my word for it just wait for the next sunny day, walk into a parking lot and put you hand on a white car and then a black car. Modern IR homing missiles can aquire their targets from just the heat generated by the friction between an aircraft's skin and the air. Now add the extra heat from the sun on a dark surface and things don't look good for the black airplane.

Before anyone says "But the SR-71, F-117 and B-2 are black." let me say that the F-117 and B-2 operate primarily at night which negates the radient heating problem and the SR-71 flies fast enough and high enough that it just doesn't care.

posted on Mar, 19 2005 @ 11:49 AM
link   

Originally posted by MickeyDee
Its been a while since we saw a new Black Aircraft hasnt it?
Do you think they will anounce a new one soon?

Doubt it...Ths USAF is having a hard enough time trying to procure money for the Raptor, and the JSF in the future...so having a very expensive black aircraft emerge at the same when they are saying the F-22 beats all, just doesn't make sense. So.....No.

posted on Mar, 19 2005 @ 12:43 PM
link   
i didn't think the "black" planes were black just an extreemly dark purple.
yeah they do look rather cool thogh.
the coulour scheme is dependant on the roles and areas they are asighned to. recall ww2 paint jobs camo on top and a dull blue/grey on the bottom. the top colour was to try to ruduce visibility from above, whereas the bottom colour was to ruduce chances of seeing from the ground.
the trick of useing light was briliant just think of aplying camo to your face. on the face you lighten up the shadow areas while darkening the non-shaded areas. this makes it harder to make out the details that tell you you are looking at a face.
now as for the chamelian type idea it realy isn't that far fetched. the main thing you would need to do is use some sort of surface like a tv screen (think the newwer tv and moniter types we have, are we that far off from something that could cover an aircraft?) mount camera's opposit and recreate the background colours. this is an over simplified way of doing it but i don't think our technology is far off, if we don't have it already. as for the camera option i just saw a bit on an actual "tri-corder" on daily planet (this device is interesting on it's own),one feature on it was something that could "read" colour. come to think about it might they have it already? i am an aircraft entusiest, so if i can, i look up when i hear them. ever since 9-11 (includeing the day of and days afterward when all but military trafic was grounded) i have been hearing what sounds like military jets but when i look up i never see anything, i have always just asumed that the building has been in the way. of note there is no airbase nearby just the major airport.
as for a new black project air craft who is to say they do not already have one. just remember the sr-71 was prety much obsolite when it was acknowleged to exist. who is to say all those strikes made by b-2's were from a b-2? point is the government only seems to aknowlage a new "black project" airplane when it is shot down, made obsolite or "leaked accidently". i have always wondered about a new aircraft when the b-2 was anounced and shown in airshows. (this was a "secret" airplane after all).

posted on Mar, 19 2005 @ 06:59 PM
link   

drogo
so if i can, i look up when i hear them. ever since 9-11 (includeing the day of and days afterward when all but military trafic was grounded) i have been hearing what sounds like military jets but when i look up i never see anything, i have always just asumed that the building has been in the way. of note there is no airbase nearby just the major airport.

I would say either the buildings are covering your view of the jet, or your looking where you hear the noise, you have to look in front of the noise. Your not hearing jets that have visual stealth.

posted on Mar, 19 2005 @ 10:13 PM
link   
correct me if im wrong but, i thought that "stealth" planes were made up from a radar absorbing/defracting material. not just painted with some expensive paint.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join