It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

One step closer to Internet control?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 18 2005 @ 04:00 PM
link   
I came across an article that concerns me a greal deal. Somehow, a judge has decided that the Internet needs to be regulated per the McCain-Feingold Campaign Reform Act.
How can this be, you say?

In just a few months, he warns, bloggers and news organizations could risk the wrath of the federal government if they improperly link to a campaign's Web site. Even forwarding a political candidate's press release to a mailing list, depending on the details, could be punished by fines.

Smith should know. He's one of the six commissioners at the Federal Election Commission, which is beginning the perilous process of extending a controversial 2002 campaign finance law to the Internet.

read the article here

Even a link to a candidate's website could result in a fine, even shutting the offending site down.
This is something we need to be concerned aabout. Under the guide of campaign finance reform, the government may be trying to control the Internet.

FEC to extend campaign-finance to Web
Commissioner warns of threat to blogs, online punditry

posted on Mar, 18 2005 @ 04:05 PM
link   
The internet is becoming one of our last free speech zone that we have, interest groups has been putting pressure on the government to control the net.

If this happens we will lose more than just a way to communicate and gather information with others across the globe.

That will be a shame.

posted on Mar, 18 2005 @ 04:07 PM
link   
I bet you mainstream media is pushing for all this internet control, they're scared of the bloggers and independent news sources.

posted on Mar, 18 2005 @ 04:11 PM
link   

This is important. ...Right now, it's just talking about preventing bloggers from linking to political camapign sites I think, but give'em an inch...

posted on Mar, 18 2005 @ 04:15 PM
link   
ECK has been on a thread about the governement taking over the net.... I cant find it right now but I will link it soon as I find it...

also alot of people have been talking about the gvmt taking over the net, and you know its so funny how you say they cant.. can we take an example such as China...... they have a controlled internet...

www.abovetopsecret.com...

Here is that link....

EDIT:: added link..

[edit on 3/18/2005 by ThichHeaded]

posted on Mar, 18 2005 @ 08:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by ThichHeaded
ECK has been on a thread about the governement taking over the net.... I cant find it right now but I will link it soon as I find it...

Thanks for adding that link.
I thought about adding to ECK's thread, but this is a slightly different slant.

This is something they are doing under the Campaign Finance Reform Act. What, do they think we won't see through this thinly veiled attempt? Tell me how a blogger is contrbuting to a campaign but linking to a candidate's web site...it's absurd.
This is something we should watch. We have a federal judge overturning a Federal Election Commisssion's vote.

From my same article, linked in my first post:

It's going to be a battle, and if nobody in Congress is willing to stand up and say, "Keep your hands off of this, and we'll change the statute to make it clear," then I think grassroots Internet activity is in danger. The impact would affect e-mail lists, especially if there's any sense that they're done in coordination with the campaign. If I forward something from the campaign to my personal list of several hundred people, which is a great grassroots activity, that's what we're talking about having to look at.

Senators McCain and Feingold have argued that we have to regulate the Internet, that we have to regulate e-mail. They sued us in court over this and they won.

Let me repeat that for anyone who thought about McCain as presidential material: Senator McCain will like to see the Internet regulated.
Keep that thought in mind.

[edit on 18-3-2005 by DontTreadOnMe]

posted on Mar, 18 2005 @ 09:37 PM
link   
Well - copyrights laws are a good thing, especially if you happen to create the content and blind linking to copyrighted source is one of those netiquette things that people abuse, and far too often.

Any wacko can also post any drivel they decide to cook up, no source or fact checking, just random spew. For most of us we welcome the free speech and deal with it, but you have to consider the average IQ in the country and the fact that the masses can be incited by factually erroneous crap (ATS is actually a pretty good microcosm of that phenomenon).... We also have many people crossing the lines of libel and slander with no easy way to go after them.

Good, bad - not sure yet and as they say, information likes to be free, and at one point the information was actually pretty good. Not so anymore....

posted on Mar, 19 2005 @ 10:06 AM
link   

Originally posted by UofCinLA
Well - copyrights laws are a good thing, especially if you happen to create the content and blind linking to copyrighted source is one of those netiquette things that people abuse, and far too often.

I don't see this as a copyright issue...it about linking to candidate's web sites.
A judge decided if you link to, say a Bush or Kerry elections site, you can get fined and/or the site can be closed down.
Least that's what I read.

posted on Mar, 20 2005 @ 11:08 PM
link   
If they don't already have some control of the internet than they can definately monitor through I.P. addresses and such, which I wouldn't doubt they alreay are doing.

posted on Mar, 21 2005 @ 09:16 PM
link   
Yeah, but I think monitoring web activity is a far cry from actually legislating what you can do on a website.

Another thing I heard in passing: states are trying to cut down on internet cigarette sales.
Credit cards halting Internet cigarette sales

Internet Tobacco Sales Burned By ATF Agreement

new topics

top topics

join