It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Starlink Better Than Nothing, Beta tester!

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 15 2020 @ 08:11 PM
link   
a reply to: Bigburgh

are you playing as peter griffin?

posted on Dec, 15 2020 @ 08:11 PM
link   
Just did a quick search about starlink data cap and it appears that they don't have one now and are going to try to not enforce one.

Also just about every article I came across that had comments enabled, everyone was saying they cant wait to cancel comcast. LOL

Looks like comcast is going to have to try to rebrand themselves again from xfinity.

posted on Dec, 15 2020 @ 08:14 PM
link   
a reply to: Phage
Thanks that's what I need too.

Edit:

ratings when it comes to speed and consistency. The Federal Communications Commission (FCC) defines the consistency of an internet provider as its ability to deliver more than 90% of the advertised speed to at least 80% of the subscribers surveyed for at least 80% of the peak usage period. Based on this definition, Viasat was consistent only 24% of the time.

edit on 15-12-2020 by Bigburgh because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 15 2020 @ 08:14 PM
link   
a reply to: interupt42

I don't think comcast is satellite direct internet.
I don't think starlink will get close to the performance of cable. But it can be got where cable can't.
edit on 12/15/2020 by Phage because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 15 2020 @ 08:17 PM
link   
a reply to: Lysergic

With Bigger Better and Uncut Girth

posted on Dec, 15 2020 @ 08:21 PM
link   
LOL....this is the next Iridium....

posted on Dec, 15 2020 @ 08:21 PM
link   
a reply to: Bigburgh

Hahah I can still hear it ringing in my ears.

posted on Dec, 15 2020 @ 08:23 PM
link   

originally posted by: Phage
a reply to: Macenroe82

Be sure to disable the mind control feature.

I signed up for the beta specifically hoping there’s an Increased Mind Control option, actually. The noggin has been running a bit wild lately and I can use a break.

I’m paying $80 a month now for 100mbps, but if I can slap down $649 and have someone else take control of my brain for a while, I’m down.

posted on Dec, 15 2020 @ 08:29 PM
link   

I haven’t read anything about data caps yet with StarLink.

But with my ISP my data cap is either 400 Or 500 GB/month.
I go over it every month also.
They don’t charge you for the extra usage but I do notice my speeds decrease.
Theres 5 of us, either streaming or downloading.
So that 4 or 500 GB goes fast.

posted on Dec, 15 2020 @ 08:34 PM
link   
Watch as this ends up like the RIM servers in the UAE....

posted on Dec, 15 2020 @ 08:52 PM
link   

I don't think comcast is satellite direct internet.
I don't think starlink will get close to the performance of cable. But it can be got where cable can't.

No comcast is not satellite nor is the performance of satellite going to be able beat performance of comcast in the near future.

However, my distaste for comcast is so great that I would be willing to jump ship and pay more for less just to give comcast the F U and not have to deal with them.

Cant stand them as a company or being their customer. Had to get the FCC involved once to settle an issue with them and I actually pay more for less service for them , because I cut everything back to only internet.

When I had cable with them it was a constant battle with false charges, plan changes, and their support sucks beyond checking if you rebooted the modem.

edit on 001231America/ChicagoTue, 15 Dec 2020 22:00:09 -0600000000p3142 by interupt42 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 15 2020 @ 08:54 PM
link   

I haven’t read anything about data caps yet with StarLink.

I checked and it looks like they don't have them now and are going to try to not enforce them unless its for technical reasons. So will see.

posted on Dec, 15 2020 @ 09:06 PM
link   
The Starlink implant fired into my brain didn't hurt at all....

didn't hurt at all....

didn't hurt at all....

didn't hurt at allllllllll...gasp.

posted on Dec, 15 2020 @ 09:08 PM
link   

Be sure to disable the mind control feature.

If only you had known about that sooner with your own internet service.

posted on Dec, 15 2020 @ 09:56 PM
link   

50Mb/s to 150Mb/s is not bad.

You need to look init XFinity a little deeper.
I pay about 80 a month for 400 mbs (that is including the router)

ETA I didn't think it was 100
edit on 12/15/20 by Gothmog because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 15 2020 @ 09:58 PM
link   

originally posted by: Gothmog

50Mb/s to 150Mb/s is not bad.

You need to look init XFinity a little deeper.
I pay just a little over the 101 a month for 400 mbs (that is including the router)

Yeah I have xfinity but I can't stand the freaking company.
edit on 591231America/ChicagoTue, 15 Dec 2020 21:59:18 -0600000000p3142 by interupt42 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 15 2020 @ 10:14 PM
link   

On mobile, but curious where you are physically (state/province is good for me), as I'm building in a rural location and don't want to deal with similar costs for AT&T at less than a third of that speed. I've signed up for the beta and have sent a fairly long winded email to the support team at Starlink to discuss the pains I've had even getting AT&T to agree to run a line. I'm at the top of a decent hill and great visibility to the sky, so hopefully soon I can get it installed.

posted on Dec, 15 2020 @ 11:21 PM
link   
Update us on what you think of it.

posted on Dec, 15 2020 @ 11:47 PM
link   
We had Frontier DSL with the phone wires wrapped in horse hair for insulation. Since 2015 or so, it's improved a lot. Inconsistency and outage being the standard features. Far at the end of the line from the node or hub or whatever, it's never gonna be great. It might make a comeback as wife needs a fixed line for secure govt desktop PC.

Last year I requested Starlink, but then reality called and I went with a Sprint 4G Hotspot w/200G for like $60 a month. It's not bad at all, my service zone at home is "limited" coverage, but usable and I could add an antenna booster. Plus, I take it with me out of town, eliminating the need to stop and start service at different addresses in PA and FL, plus driving inbetween in my creepy van. Phone hotspot is a back up on ATT.

No cable TV coax here for a cable modem, which would be nice, but game over. Satellite internet never seemed like a great idea, with the modest data caps. Not attractive if you have 4G. 5G might roll right over all of the terrestrial options.

As for fibre, my only experience is from mom, who worked for Verizon. She loaded up the senior citizen special fibre optic for only $200 a month...and didn't even use it, plus cable on top of that, which she did use.

My newest place has zero cell phone coverage, but the former school building has fiber optic....which should be awesome. I might need an internet VOIP like Vonage, lol.

edit on 15-12-2020 by FlyingFox because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 16 2020 @ 12:11 AM
link   
a reply to: FlyingFox

fibre optic

You get very little fibre from eating those cables.
Try oats.
But fiber connectivity is great.

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join